22 Creedmoor on whitetail...in a pinch.

If you want to flop deer with the 22 caliber, the 22-6Rem AI with the 80g Hornady at 3650 will get'r done is spades.

What are all of your thoughts on a 22 creedmoor shooting heavy monos such as Barnes 77 grain LRX, 78 Grain TSX, or 70 grain TSX on the light end, pushed at 22 creed velocities 34-3500ish on whitetail deer

How about bullets such as 90-95 grain matchking and VLD variety? Around 31-3200ish

Not too long ago there was a HEAVILY debated thread for using a 22-250 on deer, but the majority of comments pertained to bullets sub 65 grain and I want to make it clear the projectiles in question are bullets nearing 80 grain and above. With that said..

What do ya think, Yay...so so...nay?

Would even a 300-350 yard maximum be a little too optimistic if it was suitable?

I would like to put together a 22 Creed or perhaps something else (hopefully soon) uses would be for mainly a fun gun for varmints (90% of the time) and occasional use on deer (10% of the time) when I'm not using my 270.
there is a VERY nice one foe sale over on the Texas Hunting Forum

I shot a deer last year with my 22 creedmoor and I will not do that again. I've got. I explanation for what happened. I shot the deer at 250 yds with a 88gr eldm going 3300fps at the muzzle. The deer dropped like a rock without taking a step. I saw his antlers sticking up sideways in the y'all grass and marked the spot he was laying. I was up on a hill and had crawled to the edge to shoot down at the bottoms below. I started packing up my stuff and realized I was missing a glove. I hack tracked my crawling and found the glove then walked down the hill to the log where thedeer was laying. When I got there, maybe 5-7 minutes after the shot, the deer was gone. I never found a drop of blood or anything and I searched the rest of the day for that thing and never saw it. I assume the bullet blew up without penetrating and the impact shock was enough to knock it out. I guess the deer woke up and limped away while I was looking for my glove. I might try the 22 creedmoor with mono bullets but no more eldm

I shot a deer last year with my 22 creedmoor and I will not do that again. I've got. I explanation for what happened. I shot the deer at 250 yds with a 88gr eldm going 3300fps at the muzzle. The deer dropped like a rock without taking a step. I saw his antlers sticking up sideways in the y'all grass and marked the spot he was laying. I was up on a hill and had crawled to the edge to shoot down at the bottoms below. I started packing up my stuff and realized I was missing a glove. I hack tracked my crawling and found the glove then walked down the hill to the log where thedeer was laying. When I got there, maybe 5-7 minutes after the shot, the deer was gone. I never found a drop of blood or anything and I searched the rest of the day for that thing and never saw it. I assume the bullet blew up without penetrating and the impact shock was enough to knock it out. I guess the deer woke up and limped away while I was looking for my glove. I might try the 22 creedmoor with mono bullets but no more eldm

This is what I was concerned with when considering bullets such as the eldm, some say they work great, other accounts say otherwise. So with that said I plan to avoid using eld and similar bullets.

I agree, the eld-m is entirely too explosive for big game.
20171231_183138.jpg
20171216_084418.jpg

If the deer wasn't recovered you absolutely CANNOT say it was a bullet failure.

No blood sounds like you missed it.

So you are telling everyone, you made a good clean ethical shot and the deer went down then got back up?

Highly questioning these people getting exits with 75 grain amax shot at over 3500 fps. For some reason I can't get a whole lot more bullet going a lot slower to exit. But whatever

Last edited:
If the deer wasn't recovered you absolutely CANNOT say it was a bullet failure.

No blood sounds like you missed it.
Sounds more like a spine shot. Unless you know something he doesn't I wouldn't be jumping to "sounds like you missed"

I've killed dozens of deer that where DRT with no blood laying around them. Over expansion/fragmentation does this sometimes. When the only area blood has to leave is a .224 hole, it's more than plausible. Especially given how soft ELDs are.

Sounds more like a spine shot. Unless you know something he doesn't I wouldn't be jumping to "sounds like you missed"

I've killed dozens of deer that where DRT with no blood laying around them. Over expansion/fragmentation does this sometimes. When the only area blood has to leave is a .224 hole, it's more than plausible. Especially given how soft ELDs are.

A spine shot wouldn't allow the deer to run off. Unless he missed the spine, shoulder, bone and everything else somehow. Which again, is NOT a BULLET failure.

A spine shot wouldn't allow the deer to run off. Unless he missed the spine, shoulder, bone and everything else somehow. Which again, is NOT a BULLET failure.
Right above or right below the spine WILL temporarily shock the deer and after a period of time it CAN get up and run off. I have done this numerous time. High shot at very long range knocks the animal down. Look for scope covers range finder bag whatever. Look back up the hill and the animal is half standing up in the front End. Hop back down there and give him another.

Animals stop running when they die. If you don't hit organs or directly severely damage the central nervous system them will run until they feel safe or they die. This fella shot a deer and it sounds to be the exact same circumstances I've encountered on several occasions both by myself and taking friends hunting. I typically refrain from telling people they missed. If he missed as you allude to, why did the buck lay down in the tall grass with his head sideways? Very unlikely but maybe he wanted to nap.

The beauty of calibers like the 22creedmoor is the ability to spot hits and watch bullet impact. I did not miss. I watched the bullet impact the deer center of body right above the front leg. I then watched the deer pull its legs under itself and collapse. There is no doubt about the shot. There is no way to explain what the bullet did because the animal wasn't recovered. I didn't say the bullet "failed" it did what it was supposed to do it hit the target. The impact velocity was somewhere around 2850 which is asking a lot of a thin jacketed target bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.