Your pick 7mm

Greg Duerr

If you were to have a cusom rifle built for Mostly deer and some elk in the .284 what would you have built? Action, Bl, stock etc.

If you were to have a cusom rifle built for Mostly deer and some elk in the .284 what would you have built? Action, Bl, stock etc.
If inside of 1,000 yards for both deer and elk.....I would go 7mm Rem Mag over .280 AI, just because of that extra 150-200 fps for the elk. If you factor in elk shots inside of 750-800 yards, and deer out to 1,000 yards, I would say .280 AI would suit you perfectly.

But if you plan on shooting deer 99% of the time, inside of 1,000 yards, and plan on range shooting it alot, and want better barrel life, less recoil, better brass life, and a more efficient cartridge, I would go with the .280 AI.

Action - Trued stainless/jeweled Rem 700
Barrel - Rock Creek 26" (finished length) 5R stainless & fluted sendero contour 1:9 twist, SAAMI .280 AI chamber
Stock - HS Precision original Sendero stock
Floorplate - Rem stainless LA Standard
Base - EGW HD 20 MOA picatinny (aluminum)
Rings - TPS TSR aluminum, low-height
Scope - Vortex Viper HS Long Range FFP 6-24x50 XLR MOA reticle

Bullets- Berger 168 VLD
Brass - Nosler Custom .280 AI brass
Powder - IMR 7828 SSC
Primer - Federal 210 Gold Medal Match (GMM)

If inside of 1,000 yards for both deer and elk.....I would go 7mm Rem Mag over .280 AI, just because of that extra 150-200 fps for the elk. If you factor in elk shots inside of 750-800 yards, and deer out to 1,000 yards, I would say .280 AI would suit you perfectly.

But if you plan on shooting deer 99% of the time, inside of 1,000 yards, and plan on range shooting it alot, and want better barrel life, less recoil, better brass life, and a more efficient cartridge, I would go with the .280 AI.
)

+1

You can hear the words 'deer and elk' so often that you will naturally think there is one rifle that is perfect for both. Best of luck with that.

Try thinking 'elk and moose' vs 'deer and coyote'
Now pick two rifles, one for each. :D

+1

You can hear the words 'deer and elk' so often that you will naturally think there is one rifle that is perfect for both. Best of luck with that.

Try thinking 'elk and moose' vs 'deer and coyote'
Now pick two rifles, one for each. :D
Yep. I've never killed an elk, but I know they're pretty big. But just like anything on earth, can be killed by something small if the shot placement is key.

If I were to hunk elk @ 1000-1500 yards, 7mm STW or 7mm AM with some Berger 180 VLD's would be the best 7mm for the job.

Deer and Coyote Elk and Moose ................ I've heard that some place else.

Ever read the book "Hell I was there" Elmer Keith.

Elmer never said much about the .270 not until Jack O'Conner died.

After that he wrote and article in Guns and Ammo The .270 is only good up to Antelope, its better suited for just Coyotes. So its Antelope and Coyotes.

For Deer dont use a bullet less than a .333 or better yet use the .333 OKH

[QUOTE=MudRunner2005;843807]Yep. I've never killed an elk, but I know they're pretty big. But just like anything on earth, can be killed by something small if the shot placement is key.

If I were to hunk elk @ 1000-1500 yards, 7mm STW or 7mm AM with some Berger 180 VLD's would be the best 7mm for the job.[/QUOTE]

You might want to check your ballistic charts, the 7mm mags drop off hard after 700 to 800 yards. ( I shoot a 7 mm and limit myself to 700 max. )
Now compare all this drop off to a 300 win mag with 208s or a 338 win mag with
225s. See what I mean?

Killing your elk and harvesting your elk are two different things.
Lets say you shoot your elk in the Colorado mountains with a lesser calliber. If you're around 300 yards away and he knows you're there, odds are good the elk will walk away for quite a ways. Maybe a mile. So it's 50/50 another hunter will see and shoot and kill this 'dead elk', tag him, and harvest him. In this way your once in a lifetime elk rack will be hanging on someone else's wall.

Oh boy..Yippi , here we go again...

Jeff
Nope, not this time Jeff. I'm gonna step away from this before another thread gets ruined. :)

He asked about 7mm, so I gave my answer to the best of my knowledge....Though limited as it is as far as elk go, if guys can kill a Sambar @ 600+ with 7mm RemMags I would naturally assume that you can kill an elk with one at that distance. Not to mention our other member who killed a huge moose @ 9xx yards with a 7mm RemMag. Just my gathered opinion, that it IS possible, be-it, or be-it-not the best or most efficient caliber option available for the job.

If the other guy wants to jump in with a bigger is better post that derails the OP's question, then I will have no part of it, simply because I won't be blamed for derailing the thread and causing another ruckus. :cool:

What about a 7mm Dakota???
I am lucky enough to have about every 7mm made. Wildcat and factory. I can tell you the 7mm Rem is hard to beat. Some loading books have it loaded down to 7-08 velocities and you can work 180 gr loads up to almost 3100. It can be downloaded to be great for a small child or loaded up to out pound a 300 win mag. its about choosing the right bullet off of strength and capability ( not BC) and shot placement. This is true with ANY caliber or cartridge. Some internet warriors want to just talk about it and not do anything in the field. Many people on here have never done IT or experienced IT but sure give armchair advise on IT. I believe this is what Jeff was referring to.." oh boy here we go again". Its easy to pick the B.S. out when you actually live it. When you do you actually learn the high velocity super duper mags that one sponsor of this forum makes actually will blow most bullets apart and not cleanly kill game! He sure is "famous" on this forum and the internet. By manufactures and bullet maker he is laughed at. He is a perfect example of bigger isn't better but armchair bandits make it glorified. NOW GO LIVE THE LIFE!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.