Pick My Project

Which caliber?

• .284 Winchester

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • .280 AI

Votes: 21 87.5%

• Total voters

Weaver93

Okay, here it is. I have a fresh Mack Brothers standard bolt face long action and I'm having a hard time deciding between .284 Winchester or .280 AI and since I'm noted for poor judgement, I think you guys should decide my project's fate. Explain your pick.

Okay, here it is. I have a fresh Mack Brothers standard bolt face long action and I'm having a hard time deciding between .284 Winchester or .280 AI and since I'm noted for poor judgement, I think you guys should decide my project's fate. Explain your pick.
If you have narrowed it down to two, you are doing great. Between the two, I would go with the .280 AI.

The 280AI would be my choice.As good as the 284 Win is,it's a short action round and you have a long action.The long action would give you mag room for long bullets in the 284 Win,but you probably still have plenty of room with the 280AI,so I doubt that would be an advantage.I think you would get a little better performance out of the 280AI and it would be easier to find the 280AI brass.

I am familiar with the 280AI but not the 284. The book speeds of similar bullets are higher with the longer cased round. One may make cases for the 280 from a lot of other cases if that is your thing.
The 284 is a cool round and a real blast from the past, but you can go faster with the longer round.

I have had rifles in both .284 and 280AI. Both are very solid performers. All things being equal, with a long action, I would vote for the 280AI. The brass is easier to come by (or make) and there is a lot of load data for different weights of bullets which gives you a more versatile cartridge. Of course, if you weren't really thinking of hunting anything larger than deer, the .284 is almost perfect. But again, for larger, more aerodynamic bullets and the ability to shoot long range, the 280AI is the better choice.

I am still waiting on a 280ai build. I've never owned one, but everything I reviewed and evaluated prior to making the decision just led me to the 280ai. I like the versatility of a long action and the efficiency of this cartridge. As of today I have collected enough components to last me for the life of the barrel thanks to some of our fine members here.

Well guys, seems like the vote was very close! I'm sending the raw data to the DNC for counting and will let you know how it works out! I know, exciting isn't it!

The gang has spoken and .280 AI it is! When the blank is done I will send it to Matt at PP guns to be wrapped and chambered. I'll keep you all posted.

Keep following the thread in case I need to start a go fund me! 😬

Well it took the best part of a year, but the .280 AI is complete! I hate resurrecting dead threads, but I figured I would update the gang with a picture.

IMG_2862.jpeg