Pls help me pick a 7mm mag

NewB7654

I know what caliber I want, I just dont know which is the better manufacturer. My budget for the gun itself is $400.00-$500.00.
Im looking at the Remingtom 700 ADL
Savage 11/111
Savage Axis XP
And Winchester 70
Im more interested in the weapon itself, not the cheap scope that comes with it.
Which would you choose?
What are your thoughts (pros-cons) on these 4?
Any others you know of that are better?

Would not get the Axis. Though they are said to have some accuracy, they are an entry level rifle with out much of an upgrade path. After market stocks and such are starting to become available for them, but it is not much and probably never will be.

Any of the others would probably serve you well. Just depends on the features you are looking for.

We all love to debate Rem/Savage/Winchester on here. So, I'm sure you will have some other good opinions shortly. :)

Our family has 4 Remingtons in 7MAG and they all shoot as good as a .223 we have never had any problems with accuracy.
as for a scope,, I would not buy any junk I would have to tell you there are some good scopes out on the market take a look as Nikon, Burris and a Loupold.
just remember when you buy a scpope it like getting married..you are stuck with it.

Farout - Thank you, axis off the list.

roninflag - No I dont reload, not yet anyway. What I'm shooting, Im wondering which manufacturer is best model overall.

kc - That's a vote for the 700. Also, you're never stuck, that's why we invented divorce.

As I asked before. If you had to choose ONE, which one?

My vote would be Savage 11/111. It has great out-of-the-box accuracy and I think it is the most gun for the money. Remington 700 would be my second suggestion. I wouldn't get the axis either.

My vote is the Savage Trophy hunter. Okay scope, will do what you need to 300 yards no problem. Yes, its slightly above your budget. But worth it.

2nd choice, Weatherby Vanguard.

I too would stay away from axis. I have a Remington, but do not like their entry level rifles. I also like the Winchester rifles, but to get one you will destroy your budget and still need a scope.

Hornady makes a lot of ammo for the big 7mm. But so do a lot of others.

I bought a package deal for my son, cheap, beech stock, Simmons scope. It shoots great!! It is an honest 1/2 inch. It did take about 30 rounds to really shoot that good.

I was JUST going to add Weatherby Vanguard to the list. They're around 400-500 w/o a scope.
Thanks for commenting

Another vote for the Rem 700 7mmRM. Also, check your local stores for left-over Browning A-Bolt II's in 7mmRM. The Brownings are serious tack-drivers from the factory. Only reason I have had 2 of them that were identical was because the first was stolen several years back, and the 2nd one I got earlier this year to replace the first one.

I would suggest looking into a Rem 700 SPS. They are in the $500 range, but come in a BDL style, so it allows for upgrades down the road. The only real negative about that gun is the stock, but some people have success with it. Worst case, you can upgrade the stock down the road with something like a Bell & Carlson with the aluminum bedding block and you should have a good shooter. The only other thing that would possibly need work is the trigger, but it is self-adjusting so some people have luck getting it to be pretty light.

this is my humble opinion. I have shot a number of rifles, from custom to the cheap savages. I got to say that the Remington 700 is my favorite rifle. With that being said, if I had a limited budget, I would probably not get it. A Remington is a very nice rifle once it is configured. Every Remington I have has a jewel trigger, glass bedding (on a wood stock or HS stock), and a 20 moa nightforce rail, nightforce rings and a quality scope. Once you add these things to the Remington, I venture to say that it is one of the best rifles you will shoot. Now if you shoot an entry level Remington, it will suck. If you are on a limited budget, I would get something else other than a Remington. A browning and a weatherby is a great entry level rifle. I would opt for one of those instead of a Remington if I was going to leave it as it is from the factory.

I own a Weatherby 7mm RM, gt it for $600, changed the stock, bedded, free floated sporter barrel, 20MOA NF rail and vortex pst 4-16x50 scope (3000fps)
I shoot 168gr Berger Match Tactical, and i took many deers from 400-980yards.

I build for another friend the same rifle but on Weatherby SPS2 - with 2 stage trigger and i was able to light the trigger pull at 1.8lb.
Rifle shoots 0.5MOA with cheap Winchester Super X 174gr ammo up to 780yrds.

So the idea is ... you can get a less expansive rifle (rem, weatherby, tikka) and with minimal upgrade you will have a shooter.

Thanks everyone for your input. I picked up a new Remington 700 yesterday. Now I'm moving over to optics. Thanks again for your help, see you there.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.