X Bolt Max Long Range Hunter

I love both my X-bolts, no problems with either.

I added the M'Carbo trigger Springs and have both set just under 2# love them. Both consistently can should 3/4moa. My 6.5 Creedmoor I bought 2 years ago, the 6.5 PRC just last month. Both are the HCLR models and are almost identical, other than stock coloring and the bolt handles are different.

The Creedmoor took about 60-70 rounds to realize its accuracy potential, but the PRC shot great to begin with. After initial sight in I was putting up .733 3 shot groups with factory 143 gr, without any issues. Did it several times in the same session.

My antelope was taken at 645 yards in November 2019 with the Creedmoor and 127 gr Barnes LRX - those are some great bullets!!

I'm very happy with mine.

This thread is really disappointing. Was considering the MAX LR in 28 Nosler, but now not too sure. Has anybody had good luck with this rifle?
Now I'm leaning towards the Bergara B-14 HMR.
I hated my Max long range in 6.5 PRC,( 3"-5" MOA at 100yds) I new of another guy on this forum that had a max long range in 28 nosler and he hated his,had it re-barreled with a Bartlein and now its a shooter. I had mine re bedded and turned the rifle into Deer accurate . Then traded it away at a loss for a Bergara Premium Ridgeback. First time at the range with both my factory ammo and my hand loads produced 1/2 MOA. The stock on the Max Long range is attractive tupperware.... But other guys with different models of X bolts like their rifles. I strongly recommend Bergara,I truly regret not buying one a long time ago. Also the Trigger is 1st class ! Oh one more thing Bergara has a Sub MOA accuracy guarantee,which my rifle easily surpassed first time at the range.

Get the bergara. I bought a b14 Hunter in 30-06. Had accuracy issues. 1.5 moa. Sent it in and had a brand new rifle sent to me. It's now shooting .5 moa.

Last edited:
I ordered the B-14 HMR in right hand. Anybody know if the adjustable cheek piece knob is reversible? To bad the Max LR left me feeling uneasy regarding it's accuracy. I would have gotten the 28 or 30 Nosler. Had to settle for the 300 WM. :(

This thread is really disappointing. Was considering the MAX LR in 28 Nosler, but now not too sure. Has anybody had good luck with this rifle?
Now I'm leaning towards the Bergara B-14 HMR.
My Browning Max LR in 28 Nosler shoots excellent. It's the Varmint/Target model so maybe not 100% relevant.

Switched out the trigger spring. It would be hard to shoot it well with the factory one in there.

Did the browning break-in procedure they have on their site. Shooting under MOA with off the self Hornady ammo. I haven't done any reloading for it yet.

As much as I was disappointed with mine in .300 WM, I'm glad I wasted a ton of money on it. I sold it to a friend, now he has a good shooting rifle, and I learned not to waste money on factory guns. Now I have had plenty of factory rifles that shoot good some even great. But i feel like it's not worth the chance anymore for me. This is only my opinion

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.