X Bolt Gun/trigger?

coop2564

Hi newbe...my wife got me a x bolt stainlees stalker in .270 win with carbon fiber stock for x mas. The trigger adjusted all the way out is 3.8lbs which I think is to stiff for the 800yd gun I want this to be, currently with only 46 shots I'm getting .750-1.250 3 shot groups with various loads, its getting tighter as it goes. I think I need about 2-2.5lb trigger to achieve 800yd for deer size game under field conditions. Several years ago there seemed to be trigger spring kits availbe for X bolts I cant find any now, just for A bolts, why? So my questions
1. What is your trigger weight?
2. What can I do to acheive 2-2.5lbs in an X bolt?
3. Any advice is apprecicated?

You might want to put a heavy barrel and a better stock on there for a consistant 800 yard gun... Just my opinion. 800 yards is a lot farther than most people think. And not very often is it a consistantly doable feat with a factory rifle with factory ammo... I'd say more like a 1 in a million shot (no pun intended).

As for the trigger, there isn't anything available that I'm aware of the X-Bolts. Ernie made a trigger spring for them, but someone recently told me that he quit making them.

As for my trigger weights....They're all whatever the lightest I can get them safely is.

Hi newbe...my wife got me a x bolt stainlees stalker in .270 win with carbon fiber stock for x mas. The trigger adjusted all the way out is 3.8lbs which I think is to stiff for the 800yd gun I want this to be, currently with only 46 shots I'm getting .750-1.250 3 shot groups with various loads, its getting tighter as it goes. I think I need about 2-2.5lb trigger to achieve 800yd for deer size game under field conditions. Several years ago there seemed to be trigger spring kits availbe for X bolts I cant find any now, just for A bolts, why? So my questions
1. What is your trigger weight?
2. What can I do to acheive 2-2.5lbs in an X bolt?
3. Any advice is apprecicated?

Current trigger weights on my guns are 3lbs and 3.25lbs. I think dipping below 3lbs can be a recipe for disaster in really cold conditions and a novice shooter. Any good marksmen with a 4lb trigger will beat an "OK" marksmen with 2lb trigger. It is all technique. As for your trigger pull, I would say yes...it is on the higher side but 800yards should still be doable with good technique. Any competent gunsmith should be able to lower the trigger pull for you desire. I really wouldn't go below 2.5lbs There are many guys on here who would argue that point though and hunt with 1.5lb triggers.

for long range weight is an advantage. sell ( or keep it) it get a sendero, 700 long range, rem 5-r, win laredo , savage f-class, lrpv. . even better a rem 700 with a krieger barrel. for 800 yd deer you are going to need more precision and consistenceny that you can get with that rifle and that caliber no matter what trigger/spring you get.

for long range weight is an advantage. sell ( or keep it) it get a sendero, 700 long range, rem 5-r, win laredo , savage f-class, lrpv. . even better a rem 700 with a krieger barrel. for 800 yd deer you are going to need more precision and consistenceny that you can get with that rifle and that caliber no matter what trigger/spring you get.

Say what you want but my XBolt in a 300 WSM is a solid sub MOA performer at 1k. Will it win bench rest competitions? Absolutely not but it is just fine for deer sized game at that distance and it's a lot nicer to pack than any of the other rifles you mentioned. Last time I took the gun out I dead centered a milk jug at 1k on the second shot. The first shot I got my wind call and dialed left instead of right but it would have hit it cold bore had I spun the turret the right direction; unfortunately no rifle accounts for operator error! :D

Can you explain a little more detail as too why? .270 has more than enough energy at 800yds and still enough velocity to open the bullet I'll be using, the gun is already shooting .750 groups with factory and I havent even started trying to hand load for it. The weight of the gun has little to do with its accuracy and ability. I'm not going to be shooting 15 shots just 1 to 2. Its only 6 ounces lighter than guns advertised on this site as 1000yd guns???

Can you explain a little more detail as too why? .270 has more than enough energy at 800yds and still enough velocity to open the bullet I'll be using, the gun is already shooting .750 groups with factory and I havent even started trying to hand load for it. The weight of the gun has little to do with its accuracy and ability. I'm not going to be shooting 15 shots just 1 to 2. Its only 6 ounces lighter than guns advertised on this site as 1000yd guns???
You're right about one thing, accuracy is accuracy, regardless of weight. But I would be handloading trying to get down to around a 1/2 MOA or better for anything past 600 yard shots. But that is just my opinion, and we all have those. I feel that the more accurate and consistent the rifle, the more humane it allows your shot to be. No sense in taking a 3/4 MOA (6" group) gun at 800 yards to shoot deer, when a deer's vitals are only in a 5" diameter radius. If you can handload and get that rifle's accuracy down to say 1/2 MOA (4" groups) at 800 yards, then you are giving the animal a more humane kill.

Think about it this way... At 3/4 MOA and at 800 yards you shoot a 6" group. And a deer's vitals are only in a 5" radius. That means that you're bullet could land anywhere in a 6" circle. That's not very good odds for a humane kill.

However, the ability of the rifle will be affected by weight. A heavier barreled rifle will be able to be held steadier for long range shots. It changes the weighting characteristics of the rifle to be front-heavy, and when shooting off a bipod or from a prone or elevated position you will understand why. It's really hard to explain, it's just something you'll have to experience to fully understand.

I will be hand loading for it, I dropped it off at GS last night, he will get trigger down to 2.25 and lap barrel and look over see if anything else needs addressed.

Think about it this way... At 3/4 MOA and at 800 yards you shoot a 6" group. And a deer's vitals are only in a 5" radius. That means that you're bullet could land anywhere in a 6" circle. That's not very good odds for a humane kill.

So you're saying putting a 6" circle inside a 10" circle isn't very good odds?

Alright alright... You KNEW what I meant. :D

also depending on what deer location you are at...Wisconsin deer will certainly have closer to a 10-12 inch vital zone...smaller deer will be closer to 6-8inches but yes I agree inherent accuracy of the gun is VERY important at those ranges. Like you said .75MOA at 800 yards is 5inch group if EVERYTHING is perfect. That leaves little room for error if you miss a elevation/wind call, breath heavy or forget to hold breath, jerk the trigger slightly, buck fever...etc. I know I strive for .5MOA for at least 3 shots and I am only shooting to 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.