Who makes the best bolt gun hunting trigger?

I reccomend never relying on a safety. Chamber when ready to shoot.

I agree with "never" trusting the safety! However, in certain hunting environments …..not having a round chambered, can be very detrimental to your existence!

I personally know of a very good example of this! memtb

I've reloaded for a fair amount of hunters in past couple of years. Due to ammo shortage, covid, etc. So I've had a chance to check out the triggers on many new rifle brands. Tikka is really good, but JPSauer is the best. Simple to adjust and its just like the old timers say. It breaks like a glass rod. No movement at all, just break and bang. Easy to get below 2 #s. Unless you go aftermarket, none are better.

I agree with "never" trusting the safety! However, in certain hunting environments …..not having a round chambered, can be very detrimental to your existence!

I personally know of a very good example of this! memtb
I've gone into the thick after stuff has gotten shot & you **** straight i had one in the pipe❗444 Marlin, peeps & 300gr deep curl Speers " Loaded for Bear"
Fortunately the stuff has always been found dead in short distances

I think we can be a little pedantic at times. Obviously every situation is different. I've hunted with more than one guide that required an empty chamber until we were ready to do the deed.

Personally if my rifle is slung it's not chambered.

Quote: Personally if my rifle is slung it's not chambered.

Personally, if my rifle is shouldered……I'm not hunting! 🙀 However, I've spent many years "hunting" in timber/brush…..a rifle on the shoulder, means lost opportunities! 😉 So…..I'm very narrow minded on this subject! ☹️

And…..what is this "guide thing" you speak of? 😂 memtb

Last edited:
Personally, if I'm outdoors with a firearm during hunting season I'm hunting!;)

I love hunting with guides and fishing with guides. I'm not sure what's taboo about hiring the service of excellent sportsman that increase me likelihood of having a great time during my trips, but I disagree with the common sentiment.

Personally, if I'm outdoors with a firearm during hunting season I'm hunting!;)

I love hunting with guides and fishing with guides. I'm not sure what's taboo about hiring the service of excellent sportsman that increase me likelihood of having a great time during my trips, but I disagree with the common sentiment.

I see that we have a vastly different definition of hunting! 😉

As far as guides, there is great merit in your statement!

Unless the guide is required by law…..I want to do it myself! Even if doing it myself, means the occasional epic failure! memtb

Trigger Tech. Easy installation, wide range of adjustment, can be adjusted without removal, zero creep, never had a failure even in the harshest of environments.
I agree with trigger tech being one of the best but I actually had one fail. It just got sent back to them in the last month.

Last edited:
Those New Haven Model 70 triggers are awesome, to say the least!
They are not awful, IME, but I find my Timney much better. I wonder how the M70 Jewell is?? I have 2 other Jewell's. Saying amazing is selling them short! One is 1.5oz and safe! Well, safe for BR.

Another vote for Jewell! Have them on all my hunting rifles, sweet benchrest quality but rugged enough I've never had an issue with them in the field in tough conditions for 20+ years.

The only two triggers I buy now.
Bix N' Andy Tac Sport Pro
TriggerTech Diamond Pro curved

I still have a few Timney Calvin Elite, but the above two are better feeling and lighter/crsiper/less creep.

I run my hunting rifles between 4-5 oz except my Calvins. They are at 8oz.