Is a BDC scope what I need , and who makes the best one

Man this long range stuff lol ! Well screw it I'm thinking I have the G7 Lazer range finder . When I set up the blinds I will pre range each spot with a dop chart for each blind for 3 different guns so it will be better than a custom turret I'm thinking . But if some one got the better set up I'm in

The best way I can figure in your situation would be sniper-style. Setup your blind, take your rangefinder and pocket notebook and make a dope sheet. Pick out different objects and range them several times for an accurate reading, then mark it down on the sheet as to what the marker is, and how far it is.

Another option would be to use bright-colored flagging tape and tie it onto trees all the way down the powerline every 100 yards, so all you have to do is count the number of flags, dial your scope, squeeze.

Getting a custom turret that dials by yardage setup for your rifle and load works the best with this setup, as you can quickly determine how far the animal is, then simply dial in the yardage.

I have quite a bit of experience with the Burris, Zeiss, Swarovski and Nikon BDC systems. They all work but you must take the time and effort to verify where your selected load lands with each one. I have used all 4 mentioned successfully, but I like the Zeiss 600 and Swarovski BDH the best.

I hunt pipelines as well and that's how I set my rifles up too. Deer in our part of the world don't dally when crossing roads or pipelines.

Thanks ! It's hard to wrap my head around that one scope handles all they rounds that are out there ?

Thanks ! It's hard to wrap my head around that one scope handles all they rounds that are out there ?

You basically have only 2 scales to worry about and adjust for:

1) standard cartridges like 243 Win, 308 Win, 7-08, 30/06, etc.

2) Magnum cartridges like 264 Win Mag, 7 Mags, 300 mags, etc

For the standard cartridges you usually zero main cross hairs for 100 yards and each successive mark is 100 yards farther. For the Mag cartridges, you zero main cross hair for 200 yards and each successive mark is 100 yards farther.

This just highlights how close in trajectory most cartridges are within each group. And the system works because they use the full "kill zone" of an animal. They are calibrated such that out to 500-600 yards you should be in the kill zone with any of the cartridges. It will not be an exact 'zero" but close enough to hit in the kill zone. That is how the systems work. If you want an exact zero, your only option is to spin dials and use that system. I personally like the BDC systems and find them faster than spinning dials and sufficiently accurate out to 600 yards to fit my needs. If I were shooting over 600 yards, I would spin dials. But to each his own.

All that being said, it is best to actually check the impacts with your loads at the various distances to confirm. I have done so with several of my rifles and have been pleased with the results.

Jimbeaux

I can make faster more precise hits with a bdc turret than a bdc reticle, but that's just me, it slows me down to look at the reticle and get the right bar for range then get the right hold for lead and wind. With the turret I can range, dial to the range and then hit my lead as I swing through keeping the cross hair centered up.
I have also found this to be the case. Combined with my G7 RF and a Custom Turret Tape with both yardage for under 600 yards and MOA for longer shots, I'm hard pressed to find a faster system.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.