Is a BDC scope what I need , and who makes the best one

Maina

My shots will be 100-600 yards on power lines in the rut with eather a 300 ultra mag or 300 win mag . In the rut the deer are moving fast and there really is no time to spin turrets . But I will have all distance marked out . Thanks for help

I really like the Zeiss RZ600 reticle for my 30-06. I imagine the RZ800 would be a good one for you. There are many scopes in the lineup that you could get with it. Something like the Conquest HD 3-15 would be nice for sure.

nightforce 1000 yard velocity reticle looks like what I need .and it has turrets for moa
And the reticale is set custome to one round or I can just dial in moa for any new rounds yes ?

I can make faster more precise hits with a bdc turret than a bdc reticle, but that's just me, it slows me down to look at the reticle and get the right bar for range then get the right hold for lead and wind. With the turret I can range, dial to the range and then hit my lead as I swing through keeping the cross hair centered up.

Maina,

I have both, 30.06 with bdc/turret and 280ai with turret alone.

In my opinion the bdc will be faster if shooting flat but when you factor in slope each one of those dots changes which I think will slow things down slower than just dialing.

This is just my opinion but I am pretty new at this long range thing:D

Gary

Man this long range stuff lol ! Well screw it I'm thinking I have the G7 Lazer range finder . When I set up the blinds I will pre range each spot with a dop chart for each blind for 3 different guns so it will be better than a custom turret I'm thinking . But if some one got the better set up I'm in

Maina,

I know what your saying, I also hunt power lines. Last year I tried the hold over method which didn't work to well for me, went deerless last year. This summer I spent the whole summer shooting and verifying etc. And shot a buck at 520. And your right they usually don't spend much time crossing, this guy went across earlier rather quickly but later came back across this time stopping in a couple of places.gun)

I saw on some site I could get custom turrets that where BDC on bottom and moa on top

Kenton industries make turrets but I like the Custom Turret Systems turret tape, cheap replaceable and custom. I spent some time figuring out for myself what worked the best for me and BDC's just turned into a suck fest finally I just went to the turret and have the rifle at the ready, get a range and in a glance turn in the range, then when your pulling up while swinging your cross hair can just settle in and you follow through and trip the giggle switch, I use it a lot on coyote stands.

My shots will be 100-600 yards on power lines in the rut with eather a 300 ultra mag or 300 win mag . In the rut the deer are moving fast and there really is no time to spin turrets . But I will have all distance marked out . Thanks for help
A drop chart showing inches of drop from your zero would probably be best in your situation due to the time constraints.

Set your zero for three hundred and work from there using the body dimensions of a deer to figure inches of hold over.

Another option is nikons bdc circle retical ,practice at the range verifys drops at different ranges , builds confidence and it just works ,regards jjmp

I have quite a bit of experience with the Burris, Zeiss, Swarovski and Nikon BDC systems. They all work but you must take the time and effort to verify where your selected load lands with each one. I have used all 4 mentioned successfully, but I like the Zeiss 600 and Swarovski BDH the best.

I hunt pipelines as well and that's how I set my rifles up too. Deer in our part of the world don't dally when crossing roads or pipelines.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.