20” bolt gun

Achapa87

been pushing around the idea of a couple new bolt guns. And one I think I NEED lol. Is a 20" bolt rifle in a folding stock that I can keep in my truck at all times. The problem is i can't decide what caliber would be best. Would like to be able to reach out with it so first caliber that comes to mind is .308 and or a .243. Id like to hear from guys with 20" guns what calibers and velocities you all are seeing ?

2600 FPS with a 200 grain .30-06 has been doable in a couple of rifles.
Doesn't sound like that's on the list, if .308, and .243 are the choices .308 would be mine.

308 in that length. If this is a custom build it will likely push 175's to 2650 still. Creedmoor is a good cartridge, and will likely still shoot inside the aforementioned load, but it won't match it in energy for quite a ways. Just pick your priorities and the cartridge dilemma sorts itself

308 and 243 aren't my only choices I would like to know what other cartridges would be good for this build. 175 @ 2600 is a solid choice. But I'd like to hear about other 20" guns

Some good numbers coming up and it seems like a lot favor the 308 for a shorty. That 358 is a interesting choice I just have no clue about it

7 Saum will work nicely in a short barrel with enough to reach out without too much recoil.

Really when you talking short barrels the standard cartridges are the best way to go. 308 is hard to beat. You don't lose a lot with a short barrel

a 20" ruger ultralite 7/08 is also a handy one...

IMG_4488_zpsp7kj2pcg.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.