wounding deer

Many years ago, I put down a small basket 8 in Indiana. It was clearly gut shot plus ham shot. I put my only tag on him. He was in bad shape. I checked it in at DNR location, showed it was really not edible but they would not replace tag. Thanked me. I called CO, same answer. I asked why if it was the most humane action anyone could do, what do you expect hunters to do? Kill and let lay? Can't do that either. If it was "diseased" then maybe but not if result of poor shots on them. No freaking common sense. I will still put down with loss of tag. For me no choice.

Many years ago, I put down a small basket 8 in Indiana. It was clearly gut shot plus ham shot. I put my only tag on him. He was in bad shape. I checked it in at DNR location, showed it was really not edible but they would not replace tag. Thanked me. I called CO, same answer. I asked why if it was the most humane action anyone could do, what do you expect hunters to do? Kill and let lay? Can't do that either. If it was "diseased" then maybe but not if result of poor shots on them. No freaking common sense. I will still put down with loss of tag. For me no choice.
I totally agree, I was even going to start a thread about that situation. seeing a wounded deer on a hunt. do you put it down and use your tag or let it walk and keep your tag for that trophy.

Where I live you get 6 deer tags and bonus tags are easy to buy over the counter. I would put down the wounded critter. But I know if I was traveling and only had 1 tag I'd have to think about it a min. Most likely I'd still put down the wounded animal but I'd have mixed feelings about it. Western hunts for non-residents are expensive.

I totally agree, I was even going to start a thread about that situation. seeing a wounded deer on a hunt. do you put it down and use your tag or let it walk and keep your tag for that trophy.

Where I live you get 6 deer tags and bonus tags are easy to buy over the counter. I would put down the wounded critter. But I know if I was traveling and only had 1 tag I'd have to think about it a min. Most likely I'd still put down the wounded animal but I'd have mixed feelings about it. Western hunts for non-residents are expensive.

Frankly I wouldn't say anything unless I was asked. If I see a wounded deer walk in front of me it's dead, however I won't tag it if I don't need to.

That said I've lost exactly one deer out of the innumerable ones I've killed. On that deer despite my best tracking efforts I never found it. Still reported it to DNR because I knew for a fact it was dead somewhere. I felt awful. That was in GA. We don't have a tag system down there but you report deer through your mobile app.