Would you shoot a 338 Allen Mag without a Muzzle Brake?

Would you shoot a light 338 Allen Mag without a brake?

• No way, but I would get a friend to do it!

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Yes, but I'd make sure nobody had a videa camera rolling.

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AJ Peacock

OK guys,

Every time I go to the range with 'Lucky', my 338 Allen Mag, a thought crosses my mind. "I wonder how this shoots/feels without that big slab muzzle brake."

Now, since I'm no longer a teenager, I've always been able to fight off the urge to unscrew that big brake and let one fly.

With around 7100ftlbs energy and an 18lb rifle, would you 'just have to tryit?'

AJ

Ya gotta try it just once, otherwise you'll always wonder what it would have been like.;)

Might be a little stiff but it sure will make you appreciate the PK brake that much more after you put it back on.;);)

Do like I did when testing the brakes and put it down on a sheet of plywood and try it before you actually shoot it without the brake, only in your case you'd better use two sheets just in case.:rolleyes:

I wouldnt do it, but if you do please video:)

About the heaviest recoiler I enjoy shooting without a break is a 7RUM built about like a sendero. I suspect that shooting that thing w/o a brake would be about like shooting a magnum charge out of a muzzle loader after you have forgotten to remove the ramrod. I did that once and wouldnt reccomend it.

I got your beer buddy , how bad could it be:D
As bad as the 50BMG kiscked I just couldnt believe the brake was doing a whole lot or as much as it should soooooo I unscrewed the brake and let one rip=JUST ONE
scared.gif
That brake might not have been the best out there but it was working! I cant really say it was any quieter either:confused:

I shot my 338/378 with a 300gr SMK ONCE and I am pretty sure that if it wasn't for the front swivel hitting the front of my Hart pedestal rest I would of been deciding between dermabond or stitches. It bent the swivel and dinged the front of the rest enough it would of been a little rough on bone/skin.

I remember reading something about Kirby not daring to shoot one of his rifles without the muzzle brake, was it not the 338 AM? Not sure!!! anyone remembers?

AJ Peacock,
I'm having a hard time with this, I enjoy reading your posts and I would like to continue reading them... :D

AJ, if you shoot it don't do it from the bench. That way you can say you have shot it without a brake.

Man!!! I'm just having a hard time! That was about 5 minutes thinking about it. I wish I could just say as ss7mm but I like you AJ, don't shoot it, who needs to be in pain. I've always been a pretty rough guy but I'm not a young man anymore. I've gotten wiser! :rolleyes:

Well, I was the first to vote. And I voted NO. Unless there was something REALLY big about to eat me, I wouldn't shoot it without the brake. It must be something about that big concussion that 143gr of powder makes :D

AJ

I'd shoot anything except a 50 cal without a muzzle brake. To me a muzzle brake or BOSS hanging on the need of a rifle barrel is like a booger hanging off the end of my nose. It just dont belong there and serves no purpose.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.