Would you shoot a 338 Allen Mag without a Muzzle Brake?

Would you shoot a light 338 Allen Mag without a brake?

• No way, but I would get a friend to do it!

Votes: 28 43.1%
  • Yes, but I'd make sure nobody had a videa camera rolling.

Votes: 37 56.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
OK guys,

Every time I go to the range with 'Lucky', my 338 Allen Mag, a thought crosses my mind. "I wonder how this shoots/feels without that big slab muzzle brake."

Now, since I'm no longer a teenager, I've always been able to fight off the urge to unscrew that big brake and let one fly.

With around 7100ftlbs energy and an 18lb rifle, would you 'just have to tryit?'

AJ

AJ.

The recoil for that heavy of a rifle in 338 with a 300gr bullet only produces about
40 ft/lbs of recoil energy and 12.2 ft/sec recoil velocity (less than twice the recoil
of a 30/06).

So I would not be afraid to shoot it at all.

Everyone has a different tolerance for recoil but 40 ft/lbs is not very high.

None of my rifles have muzzel breaks because I don't need or like them ,but my
tolerance level for extended range sessions is some where around 80 ft/lbs.

Some of the big bores that fall within this range are my 416's 458's and a 460
Weatherby that my brother has (with a break) .From low 70's to 85ft/lbs.

And with a scope with enough eye relief and a correct length of pull you should
not have to worry about getting hit with the scope.

My 416 BUFF is just over 12 lbs and is very shootable at 6800 ft/lbs energy
with a 400gr bullet because of recoil velocity (Felt recoil).

The last range session with it I fired 50 rounds through it and it was not punishing
me at all.

So let her rip.
J E CUSTOM

I would shoot it not a prob . My new 500 NE produces around 92ftlb of recoil with 24.1 ft/s of recoil velocity with a 570gr soft point.

338 Ha pop gun:D.

JAWZ

I would do it. I used to get kicked with 10X's that impact force for sport. I've been punched in the face with 5X's that force.

I say GO FOR IT!
or bring it to Idaho. I'll do it. Collar bones are over rated :D

I recall that every time I stood against the rail of a "lookout" usually looking way down to a river, like the Alleghany River Lookout in Kennerdale, PA, and Snoqualmie Falls in WA, I had a sensation that I if I jumped I knew I could fly.

I never did try it but the feeling is still there.

Same w/the 338 AM w/o a brake.;)

I be willing to video some one else shooting it.:D

Like JE was saying, with the weight of the rifle I wouldn't be to afraid to shoot it w/out brake either. If its only got about 40lb of recoil, thats not all that much, less then a unbraked 300 RUM, I know that. I shot a 300 RUM barrel out in 2 years w/out a brake so it couldn't possibly be much worse with a rifle that weighs double.

I'd definately do it at least once. Its not like its gonna kill ya!!!

Its not bad at all, I do it all the time, of course its with Black Sunshine and she does not miss many meal (58 lbs!!).....

Seriously though, a 17-19 lb 338 am is not that bad to shoot without the brake. Not something you would want to do all the time but if your shooting from a standing position its not all that bad.

Figuring recoil energy is great, but remember that momentum plays a big roll in what you feel. The recoil energy is not that great but when you start a nearly 20 lb rifle in motion like that, you have to stop it with something and thats your shoulder, hopefully or your forhead will help in the effort.

The recoil is not a severe slap like you would expect from a lighter weight rifle, more of a heavy push but again, that heavy rifle put in motion will move you alot more then a light rifle.

My near 60 lb baby will slide 6-7" back on the bags when I shoot her and thats with my shoulder solidly against her. Its a slow push and you hardly notice it but after you shoot you realize your 1/2 foot farther away from the target then when you started!!! :D

The 375 Allen Magnum is a bit different beast, recoil on that one will do a better job at getting your attention. When I was going some testing on my big painkiller I pulled the brake off my 16 lb 375 AM without scope and touched a 350 gr SMK off at nearly 3400 fps. That was not nice.

A funny story on this same subject. A couple years ago I had just finished up putting together my first 510 Allen Magnum test rifle. My good friend Richard Graves came down one weekend along with another friend of ours and we played with her along with the 338 Kahn and Black Sunshine.

We were developing loads for the 510 AM and got the 835 gr Wildcat ULD RBBT loaded up to just shy of 2900 fps. After we got to that point we figured things were plenty hot enough and did not increase the load anymore.

We were sitting there just chewing the fat and Richard asked what I though the recoil would feel like without the brake. I looked at him, knowing Richard pretty well and knowing he is always up to a good challange, I said, don't know but I would give the man $20 to hear what it felt like.

After 5-10 minutes of trying to talk ourselves into it and also out of it it never happened but I am sure that nothing good would have come from that. It was in a 30 lb rifle but even at that, at well over 15,500 ft/lbs of energy, it was probably a good thing we finally decided it was not worth it.

I still think to this day if given the chance again, Richard would pull the trigger. Me personally, have no desire!!! LOL :D

You could shoot your rifle easily off hand and it would push you hard but it would not be overly uncomfortable. That said, line up solidly behind it off a bench and it will feel much different. Yes, the recoil is only about that of a stiff loaded 375 H&H but imagine an H&H that will push you back 7-8" when fired off the bench, totally different feeling.

Me and BJ have never fired our 338AM without the brake, but now that we are talking about it we are gonna have to try it. I did try my dads 10lb 7 ultra mag Kirby built without the DE brake on it. it was pretty stout with the 150gr Scirocco bullets but still managable.

a funny story to go with this. when me and BJ were competing in the Missouri state IBS bench rest match last year i was shooting a Cooper 6br. a pretty light wieght rifle loaded up with some 105 AMAX bullets, not much recoil as you can imagine. well i shoot everything off of a bipod but at the matches you have to shoot off of a fixed front rest, i have no idea why ge(

well my shooting style combined with the front rest allowing the gun to slide back more made the steel end cap on the hand grip hit my left middle finger on every shot. nothing bad at first but after 60 plus shots my finger was the size of a polish sausage and bloody as hell LOL!!!

i will let you know how our 60lb 338AM does without the brake

steve

The real exciting thing is shooting the 50 Allen Tactical (338 AM necked up to 50 cal) in a 15 lb rifle with no brake. That will get right into your shoulder. I have not figured the recoil in that rifle but I can tell you that I shot it one time off the bench with folded up Harris bipod attached to the front stud and shot the rifle off a front sand bag which weighs around 15 lbs.

When the rifle went off, the bipod hit the front sand bag hard enough to throw it back and it stopped under the trigger guard of the rifle and when the muzzle came down it bounced pretty hard off the wood platform.

A 750 gr A-Max at 2550 fps in a 15 lb rifle is not warm and fuzzy!!!! I believe it would hit harder them my 510 AM in a 30 lb rifle pretty easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts