Ever shoot a 338 or 374 AM without the brake

royinidaho

Just spent the last couple of days reducing the weight of my 375 Allen Mag to under 16 pounds.

Didn't touch metal. It all came out of the A5.

Without the 5 port painkiller brake and recoil pad, she is 15.91 pounds. That huge brake weighs in a 0.74 pounds thus I can make grade when it is removed.

I have no intension of shooting it without the brake but I'm treading a fine line with this.

The good thing is that the weight removal is invisible.

The motivation is that it takes bit away from the hunt experience when ya have to be careful or cautious. That kind of stuff give me the vapors.

Just ask'n

Closest I can come is a .358 AI magnum. It weighed in less than 9 lbs, didn't get the brake initially, they were just showing up at that time.

I took it back for the brake in fairly short order. I'd lose hat or headphones most shots.

I think the question to ask is what is the change in recoil dynamics going to do to the rifle? Especially the modified A-5.

Hopefully JE Custom will weigh in on this. If you haven't watched his video's I found them educational.

Edit........basically what Lefty said......

Roy, what about a new brake, made out of Aluminum, and finished to the barrel contour. That should be worth a few oz I would think.

Do that and go to the SHV with the MOAR and im sure youd make it.

Know nothing about your build. But these are a few things I did on my packer.You can go ADL,no bottom metal,yours probly single shot so..Alum bolt knob,Alum rail, I did light kevlar glass stock.You can drill out bolt and skeliton guard and a few things but just oz.s Then it comes to hard stuff like how bought barrel length, I think you smart and just pull brake till you need it.

Solved my weight problem.

Replacing NXS with Leuy MK V4 Drops weight to with the large PainKiller Brake she's under 16.

The Mk 4 will sport the TS-32X1 reticle.

Solved my weight problem.

Replacing NXS with Leuy MK V4 Drops weight to with the large PainKiller Brake she's under 16.

The Mk 4 will sport the TS-32X1 reticle.

Roy. You beat me to the punch with your solution. The Night Force scopes are great scopes, but they are very heavy and the change to a Leupold should solve your problem.

I would be interested in what you did to the stock to lighten it that much.

Also, round brakes are normally lighter but less effective (They also kick up lots of debris when shooting from the prone position).

J E CUSTOM

I would be interested in what you did to the stock to lighten it that much.

J E CUSTOM

I milled out the forearm ahead of the action. Was careful to not remove all.

Removed the recoil pad and "drilled" and "dremel'd" as deep as I dared.

Testing show the stock to be as stiff as ever....

Will install a Hastings 1 ounce + recoil pad.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.