would you shoot a bison with a VLD?

Would you shoot a Bison with a 300VLD@3kft/sec?

• yes

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • no

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
Absolutely, I have seen Bison killed at ranges up to 900 plus yards with the 7mm Mag with 168 VLD's and 180 VLD's. One went down at 425 one shot with the 180 VLD. Shot straight back from the ear with the head level and smashed through the spine and legs stiffened up and fell over. The 900 plus' first shot was behind the shoulder through the ribs. Didn't go down so hunter delivered the second shot into the spine went down instantly. The other bison was with a 300 RUM shooting the 185 VLD's and it was a one shot kill at 100 yards. Same shot as the first ear level and through the spine. The 338 will knock one off its feet. Good Luck!

I wouldn't even hesitate, not even a question. gun) Just of the point of the elbow and it will liquify the heart and lungs!!

It wouldn't be my preference with an impact velocity of 3000 fps. I would select a different bullet - no doubt about it - with such a large impact velocity on such a huge animal. At that velocity, I've had the 30 caliber 210 VLD completely disintegrate within 10-12 inches on a smallish black bear.

But I would if the shot placement would be strictly controlled - through the ribs on a completely broadside target posture. Just behind the front leg muscles. And I'd much prefer an impact velocity of 2000 fps than 3000fps with the VLD on an animal the size of a bison. Just shoot him at 800 yds and you should achieve a preferable impact velocity.

Last edited:
well the reason I asked was because I heading up for one on the 22nd of Nov, Thanks for the replies guys! would of liked the opinions of those who voted no, but. Guess the only way to really find out will be to try it:)

FYI,
I did vote no. In spite of posting that I would use the Berger with the perfect presentation and rib shot. I simply think there are better bullets available for this specific task.

I corrected my post as I realized you did specify the 300 gr .338 VLD.

The biggest remaining consideration for me is: are you intending to take the bison at very long range? If this is a long range only hunt by design, and you won't shoot unless the animal is 600 or more yards away - the 300 gr Berger would be a decent option due to their match grade accuracy, high BC, and because the impact velocity will be reduced.

However, if you're planning to be within 300 yds, then you don't need the ultra high BC or the match quality bullet accuracy. I'd personally use a 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw out to 300 yds. They've proven deadly on some large brown bears I've killed at ranges of ~150 yards.

Others will likely still post.

I would use a SMK because I have had better results with them accuracy wise.

You asked...

Boss, just wondering how many 300 Bergers you tested and if they were gen one or gen 2's. I have shot many of the 300 smks, and like them, but now with over 500 of the 300 Bergers down range there is absolutely no doubt in my mind the Berger shoot tighter groups especially past 1000 yards.

Jeff

Well if they shoot better for you then great! I have a few thousand of 250 SMK I use for competition and do not use the 300 gr pills yet. In all of the Berger vs SMK testing I have done have found the Berger's to have more "within the lot variation" surface variation than is desirable for competition.

Understand that you are talking about "hunting rifles" but my SS Sporters are built to the same specifications and in many cases use the exact components as my competition rifles. To put it as straight forward as I can if you were to require me to use the 300 gr. pill and send me 500 of the 300 gr. Berger's I would sell them and buy the SMK's based on previous experience. The Berger may or may not be a good choice however, when my tubes are being used then it will be Green Box or on a few instances the Nosler pills.

Also-----most of the Berger testing mentioned above was in the 2005 to 2007 time frame.

Oh, OK. Thanks for the clairification. In reading the OP, in the first post, I assumed we were talking 300 gr .338's. So that is what I was thinking .

So my data and testing of the 300 SMK vs both the Gen 1 and Gen 2 300gr. Bergers does not have any similarities to your results since we were talking about different calibers and different weights.

Thanks for the explanation. That make more sense to me now.

Jeff

Anyone have any load data for the 285gr barnes X?
I run 93grn H1000 with the 300grn bullets @ 3000+ft/sec

would you guys say its safe to start with 90 grn with the 285?

Well the reason I asked was because I heading up for one on the 22nd of Nov, Thanks for the replies guys! would of liked the opinions of those who voted no, but. Guess the only way to really find out will be to try it:)

Please report back after the hunt. No matter what bullet you use, I wish you the best of luck and performance/results. There aren't many bison hunts these days, so share a pic or two also?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.