Would you eat this bull?

Here in Hawaii we depend on wild game for our survival. Living in paradise is expensive and we hunt/gather most of our food from the mountain to the ocean. But looking at your situation, I personally wouldn't feed my family the meat. If you were starving well that's a different story but to risk a family member getting sick isn't worth it. Its a rare circumstance where not consuming the meat is justified. Maybe fully cooking it and giving it away as pet food would be the best way to make full use of your elk. Congrats on an excellent bull. Aloha

Well.....that would just make sense, so we can pretty much count on that not happening.
Like I've said, I can not get anyone with FWP on the phone. I got through to one guy yesterday, he said he'd call right back. No call back.
Not just related to this, but it's crazy to me that I can't get phone call in to FWP during hunting season. I don't know what's going on around here. Our tags are printed on computer paper now. Yep..... plain computer paper, easy to copy, easy to ruin. No game checks. I guess it's a free for all.

Go to your region's web page and figure out exactly who you should be talking to and then call or email them.

The weight loss of that bull is what scares me. Means he had been sickly for a while. Especially when you could easily hold up both hind quarters. I wouldn't call myself muscular, but a single quarter from a mature bull takes pretty good effort to lug around. I wouldn't eat the bull, and I would feel good that your wife saved a bull from a slow, painful death.

As another poster suggested, maybe look at ways you could turn it into dog food. I often feed meat scraps to my dog. I'll throw it on a frying pan and mix it into her dog food.

That poor dude has been sick for a while. Your wife did a great job dispatching him and putting him out of his misery.

Sucks to lose the meat but getting sick from eating potentially infected meat sucks worse. I recommend passing.

Sounds like it was a thrilling hunt that you got to enjoy with your wife, throw the meat out and those antlers on a mount and you've got a good hunting story..

Well.....that would just make sense, so we can pretty much count on that not happening.
Like I've said, I can not get anyone with FWP on the phone. I got through to one guy yesterday, he said he'd call right back. No call back.
Not just related to this, but it's crazy to me that I can't get phone call in to FWP during hunting season. I don't know what's going on around here. Our tags are printed on computer paper now. Yep..... plain computer paper, easy to copy, easy to ruin. No game checks. I guess it's a free for all.

Not unusual to not get an answer from some of the bureaucracy's But you owe it to your wife and the elk to do as much as you can to do there job. Keep trying. If they don't respond, Do a European mount for her and burn the Elk for safety. (You wouldn't want any animal to get what the Elk had. even varmints).

Their Immune system might handle it, but who knows what was wrong if the FWP won't respond to your request. :(

J E CUSTOM

She did, we had him at 900, no wind and she's a great shot, but I didn't like where he was for a long range shot. So we decided to put a sneak on him. I had her bring her .260 "just in case" I thought we'd get to the rise below which would have put him at about 300, and I'd have her shoot my 7x300 win, but we couldn't see him from there. So we just kept going. I told her to chamber one and be ready, I knew we were going to end up stepping on that bull. I spotted him in the timber at about 100, head down feeding straight away, nothing but a tail pipe shot. We moved up about another 20 to a spot where we had a very small clearing in the timber. I told her to just wait for him to turn, but he must have caught a little movement and turned his head back to look over his butt at us. She had her gun up a looked really steady, I asked her if she felt good, and she did. I said put it right on his neck just below his ear and she put a 130 accubond right through his neck at the base of the skull. Perfect shot.
As much as I love long range shooting and hunting, there is something about getting close that makes it more personal. I've killed more elk with a bow than a rifle, it just keeps you coming back.
It was a really fun hunt, and as many of you know, she's been battling cancer. She had to dig down deep to come up with the strength to hike through the mountains while still going through chemotherapy. I'm really proud of her.
When she went in to get her port put in, they started prepping her right side. She asked the doc if they could put it on the left side. Doc said, "sure, but why?". She said, " I got bull tag and I don't want the recoil of rifle messing with my port" Doc says, "only in Montana!" They got a kick out of that.
Hopefully we can get a cow, if not, we'll get a few deer.
Your wife is a trooper! Tell her congratulations for us. And to heal up from the chemo. We will keep you all in our prayers for a successful recovery. My wife had cancer 18 years ago and she's still going strong!!!

Best to you and the wife.

My wife killed her first bull on Halloween, and what started as a great day ended in disappointment. Antlers are cool, but we hunt for meat.
I don't want to be wasteful, and certainly don't want to throw away an elk that took all day to get out, but I'm really struggling with feeding my family with this.

He had a really nasty infection on the bottom of his brisket, that puss was bubbling out. The wound went into the lung cavity.
As you can see, he is very skinny.
I'm afraid the infection might be throughout his body.
You can see the bright viens all over his hide, I don't know that it's related, but I've never seen hide look like this.
Not sure what to do, this sucks.
Nope!!! Your family's health is more important than foisted guilt from PETA.

My wife killed her first bull on Halloween, and what started as a great day ended in disappointment. Antlers are cool, but we hunt for meat.
I don't want to be wasteful, and certainly don't want to throw away an elk that took all day to get out, but I'm really struggling with feeding my family with this.

He had a really nasty infection on the bottom of his brisket, that puss was bubbling out. The wound went into the lung cavity.
As you can see, he is very skinny.
I'm afraid the infection might be throughout his body.
You can see the bright viens all over his hide, I don't know that it's related, but I've never seen hide look like this.
Not sure what to do, this sucks.

Looks like he may have had a fight with another bull (puncher into his brisket) causing injury, hence loss of weight. His body was stressed due to the injury but I would eat it, provided you can take the skull to the biologist to get tested along with a blood sample for respiratory disease, other than just a staph infection.

If you cook it well-done, not an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts