Would you consider this a long-range weapon?

Archeryelk

Factory 300 win mag Browning A-bolt. 26" barrel. I am in the process of putting a McMillan stock on it to help with recoil.

I have several handloads that shoot .5 or less groups. One barnes load shoots .3

What would you say is the maximum range for this gun (taking the shooter out of it)?

I plan to put this scope on it Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1. It currently has a 4.5-14 Leupold.

Any help appreciated,

Archer

Archeryelk,

Look down about 3 threads here and you'll probably smile.
946 yd cow elk shot w/a 300 WM .Best of luck Mike

[ QUOTE ]
I plan to put this scope on it Mark 4 6.5-20x50mm LR/T M1. It currently has a 4.5-14 Leupold

[/ QUOTE ]

If the 4.5-14 has knobs tgt knobs on it, I would just use it. I would also look hard @ the 8.5-25x50mm Mark4. Believe it or not, it has more eyerelief and is much more forgiving as far as eye position than the 6.5-20x50mm.

You also don't have to spring the big bucks for the Mark4. The VX-IIIs are just as good. Just don't have the exposed M1 style knobs. I've got both, and can't tell the two apart optically. The Mark4 does look the part a little better though!!

I have a 4.5-15x40 VX-III and 6.5-20x50 VX-III. THought about having the reticle changed in one of those to a mil dot.

Archer

You might try the 180gr AccuBond in it. GoodGrouper, author of the 946yd elk post, seems to really like this load and I have heard a lot of people brag on it. I have never been a great fan of Browning A-bolts because they dotn fit me real well, but after seeing some of the good results GoodGrouper has gotten with them I would tell you it could be a shooter.

I have heard people having problems with pressure and Barnes Bullets.

GoodLuck
steve

The 300 win mag is a favorite for the military, they are most definitely capable of long range. Now them 338s are taking over.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts