how far would you trust this rifle

Good rule of thumb to remember.

Take your normal (not best ever shot but what you can do for 5 shots day in day out in all conditions at 100) group size and double it for the average 5 shot group at 1000.

If you have a .75 MOA gun with 5 shots at 100, you can bet that an average of ten 5 shot groups at 1000 will be around 15". Sure one might be 8" and then one might be 22" just as well.

We shoot factory class at 1000 and our match guns normally work out the same. My 1k BR 300 WSM will be in the .2 at 100 all day long, yet at 1000 the norm is 6"-7" with a 5.1" for 10 shots last weekend.

At the end of the day, work your way back with consistent hits, but **** few guns and shooters can hit a 10" pie plate consistently first shot at 1/2 mile and then repeat it.

BH

Well, I guess even if we haven't figured out how far away we'd trust the gun... at least we gave it a name!!

I agree with the paper plate practice... but the rifle has shown it's certainly capable of it. The shooter however, is a different story. I'm fairly certain that's what Mr. Big was questioning... not his own skill level, but the capability of the rifle. As we can see by the groups, 100 yds = .7 MOA and 300 yds = .9 MOA... that difference can be attributed to the less forgiving nature of the LR game. Add another 300 yds (600) and you're at 1.1-1.2 MOA, another 300 (900) and you're in the 1.5 MOA range... then certainly it becomes questionable at best. But, that isn't the rifle fault... and is no indication of how far away I'd trust the rifle. Like I said in one of my earlier posts, I'd trust the rifle more than I'd trust myself shooting it in the 700-900 range. I can see what CatShooter is talking about... more accurate is certainly a bit more forgiving of shooter error at longer ranges. My point was simply if the shooter/rifle (in this case Mr. Big/"Jessica") combo can maintain sub-MOA accuracy, the half mile accuracy should be more than adequit for big game hunting within that range.

Looks like nice wood if I see through all that glare clearly..
New barrel, Birsong Black-T coating -all metal..
Field adjustable turrets for shooting beyond 300..
This is for hunting, right?

300200.jpg

RUMLOADFOREVER.jpg

it pretty much touches 2 and throws the last one a little everytime,I dont know if its the bbl heat or me getting tired of getting hit with 50+ lbs of recoil,but with the 150 Partition it will hold pretty much the same hole,,the farthest range I have any access to is a tad over 500 and thats as far as I get to practice in theses hills and I try and limit myself to that range while deer hunting,there are no prarie digs within 700 miles of here but when its groundhogs I reach for my 25-06 with the 4.5-14 or the 204 with the 8.5-25 LRT and Jewel trigger that is SWEET.

Oh and they are loaded to fit the magazine with Rem brass.and I didn`t go heavy until I done had about 1500 rounds of 150 gr bullets down going upwards of 3700FPS with RL22.

the way I found this site was researching what I`m going to do with this rifle when it gives up shooting these longer bullets.I was researching something on the lines of the 338 RUM built around the 250-300 gr SMK but after looking through this site for a couple days I have no idea what I am going to do.I pretty much am at a 500-550 yard limit witm my skills/equipment but when I redo this gun I would like to be able to have something I can LEARN how to shoot to about 800 or so and it be on ME and NOT the gun..

I`d like to make this rifle into the Orignal Daisy Duke instead of the more current imposter.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I had forgotten doing it until I started going through some of these targets,but when I started playing with the bullets heavier than 150 I started with the 168 and absoluetly loved them but I didnt think it was much advantage in the wind over the 150`s and in my mind thought I would rather have the 200 with its .588 BC and 3/4 MOA at 3200 than the 168 and .4 MOA and its .450 BC at 3500.

would you rather have the best accuracy and go with whatever it is or give up a little to use a better bullet that might help you if you misread the conditions a little??

it would shoot these 168 Hornady bullets like this loaded from the magazine all day..
300rum168.jpg

Hi how many rounds has it fired in total? If over 1500 rounds it is shooting very well as it should be on the way out. I would check the barrel has enough clearence on the barrel channed when in your shooting position have a friend try the 2 sheets of paper when you have the rifle tourqued down you will be surprised how raf the timber will flex and then the timber will touch the barrel. I would also get a good quality muzzle break fitted to help you place good consistant shots easier without anticipation the recoil. The Defensive edge or SSG Vaporiser advertised on this forum are both verry god designs and would highly recomend them.
I would also try the 240gr Sierra or the new 210gr Wildcat Projectiles they should help dramaticaly in the wind drift department especialy if you are looking at shooting the longer ranges.
The last thing is when the barrel is shot out get a good Quality match barrel like a Lawton fitted you can have the same profile m,ade to fit the look and stock you have on the rifle now.

Your rifle is very nice you beet Remington to the punch they are aparently going to release them the same as the limited edition 30-06.

Cheers Bill
Australia

I bought the gun new in `99,right after the RUM was released and all you could get was 180 Patition factory ammo for brass,I got 100 of those and started shooting the 165 SGKBTHP,shot 300 of those to make 400,then 200 180 NBT`s for 600 then 600 150 NP`s for 1200,, then started playin with various heavier bullets and have shot 400 of the 200 SMK`s after setteling on it for 1600 plus the playin which was somewhere around 150 of different kinds of bullets for a grand total of 1750 +/- in 8 years of shooting.
I know it is about done,but it has never been shot dirty or too fast,but I cant reach the bbl with a 180 bullet and it still be in the case.

but with the 200 I did kill 2 whitetails this last fall at 463 and 513 yards with it,and thats about all I am comfortable with at this point in time.in the next couple of years I would like to get it set up and bbled in something I can learn to shoot a bit farther.

[ QUOTE ]
Roy, all i can say is, if i were "shootin" Jessica Simpson, i would have to practice, practice, practice...

[/ QUOTE ]

Followed by snorz, snorz, snorz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I still refuse to watch the new Dukes of Hazzard movie,,I prefere the orignal.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Roy, all i can say is, if i were "shootin" Jessica Simpson, i would have to practice, practice, practice...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just keep practicing until you get it right - it might take YEARS.

Maybe a lifetime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.