Would you eat this bull?

P7M13

LRH Team Member
Sell it to Taco Hell. They'll grind it up, mix it with the bags if fetid rot they already use, make "tacos" and other edible hazardous waste, then sell it to stoners at 3am at their drive through.

WWP2012

If the meat doesn’t stink, I would at least try it. Congrats on a good adventure and bull for your wife.

North Idaho Hunter

I’ll be the odd man out. I’ve killed both bucks and bulls with severe battle wounds! While the affected area was very potent & stinky the rest of the animal tasted just fine.

If you process the meat yourself I would run some through the grinder and give it a shot.

the last bull my wife shot had a 6 inch deep hole in its hind quarter (literally oozing puss out thewound)

threw out the bad quarter right at the kill site - ate the rest!

nmbarta

I've eaten a few different critters that have had some battle wounds, my concern with this one is the overall condition of the rest of the animal. If he just had a poke in his side that was healing up I wouldn't hesitate for a second to eat him. This elk has been sick for quite some time to get as skinny as his is. I bet he wasn't much over 500 on the hoof. Both hind quarters weigh about 70lbs...not each, together.
I also don't know if he's okay to eat just because he tastes okay?
It's hard to know if that injury is what was causing all of his problems, or if he had other problems and that's why the injury wasn't healing?

bigngreen

The infection isn't that uncommon with elk BUT that and it being so thin I would pass, FWP will certainly issue you another tag. The CWD is an excellent question, I would certainly not try to eat it without testing looking at it!!

nmbarta

There is no reported CWD in the elk in that area. That doesn't mean it couldn't be.
Thanks for all the input. I'll grind him up and feed him to the dogs.
On that note, our dogs eat wild game scraps all the time. As long as you introduce it slowly and feed it to them regularly it doesn't make them stink. If you accidentally leave your scrap bucket out after processing and your dog eats about 10lbs deer scrap, you'll have multiple problems, and the smell is the least of them!!

yorke-1

We see a lot of hoof rot in western WA and those animals are fine to eat as long as you trim off the tainted meat. That bull looks pretty rough though. Maybe check with state fish & game about a replacement tag, then feed it to the dogs. Maybe F&G will want you to surrender the animal to get a replacement tag.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.