Would you eat this bull?

I'll be the odd man out. I've killed both bucks and bulls with severe battle wounds! While the affected area was very potent & stinky the rest of the animal tasted just fine.

If you process the meat yourself I would run some through the grinder and give it a shot.

the last bull my wife shot had a 6 inch deep hole in its hind quarter (literally oozing puss out thewound)

threw out the bad quarter right at the kill site - ate the rest!

I've eaten a few different critters that have had some battle wounds, my concern with this one is the overall condition of the rest of the animal. If he just had a poke in his side that was healing up I wouldn't hesitate for a second to eat him. This elk has been sick for quite some time to get as skinny as his is. I bet he wasn't much over 500 on the hoof. Both hind quarters weigh about 70lbs...not each, together.
I also don't know if he's okay to eat just because he tastes okay?
It's hard to know if that injury is what was causing all of his problems, or if he had other problems and that's why the injury wasn't healing?

There is no reported CWD in the elk in that area. That doesn't mean it couldn't be.
Thanks for all the input. I'll grind him up and feed him to the dogs.
On that note, our dogs eat wild game scraps all the time. As long as you introduce it slowly and feed it to them regularly it doesn't make them stink. If you accidentally leave your scrap bucket out after processing and your dog eats about 10lbs deer scrap, you'll have multiple problems, and the smell is the least of them!!

We see a lot of hoof rot in western WA and those animals are fine to eat as long as you trim off the tainted meat. That bull looks pretty rough though. Maybe check with state fish & game about a replacement tag, then feed it to the dogs. Maybe F&G will want you to surrender the animal to get a replacement tag.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.