Would you eat this bull?

Have seen a dozen or so like that come through the wild game shop I worked at. Probably a gore wound or was shot previously. The Game warden will issue a replacement tag, but you would have to surrender the entire elk including the head. I know not applicable in your case, but if it sours from hunter neglect (leaving in the guts overnight etc.) they will not replace your tag.

My wife killed her first bull on Halloween, and what started as a great day ended in disappointment. Antlers are cool, but we hunt for meat.
I don't want to be wasteful, and certainly don't want to throw away an elk that took all day to get out, but I'm really struggling with feeding my family with this.

He had a really nasty infection on the bottom of his brisket, that puss was bubbling out. The wound went into the lung cavity.
As you can see, he is very skinny.
I'm afraid the infection might be throughout his body.
You can see the bright viens all over his hide, I don't know that it's related, but I've never seen hide look like this.
Not sure what to do, this sucks.
NO!

What isn't good for human consumption isn't good for your canines....they get poisoned from bacteria also....
But the bull is bad...dont chance eating it..take it to f&g and let them decide...but if they say eat it..make them eat the first pieces....
And..they will probably want the antlers surrendered if she wants a cow tag...

Kind of odd that in the middle of hunting season you can't get a hold of FWP, I've been trying for two days.
Maybe they'll give her a cow tag and let her keep the antlers, seems like that would make more sense than having her kill another bull. Doubt it but I'll ask.

My wife killed her first bull on Halloween, and what started as a great day ended in disappointment. Antlers are cool, but we hunt for meat.
I don't want to be wasteful, and certainly don't want to throw away an elk that took all day to get out, but I'm really struggling with feeding my family with this.

He had a really nasty infection on the bottom of his brisket, that puss was bubbling out. The wound went into the lung cavity.
You can see the bright viens all over his hide, I don't know that it's related, but I've never seen hide look like this.

Zero chance of eating it. Why risk getting staph infection or other health complications? Strongly recommend let game warden dispose of it properly and disinfect everything that made physically contact from that elk.

If your questioning it you already know the answer! Just about everything will be killed with proper cooking procedures if you want to preserve the meat. I'd call the game department and ask if they'd feed it to their family! I've left many mercy kills laying in our whitetail woods over the years. I won't leave an animal to suffer from infection injury starvation or die miserably to coyotes. Tag or not! I had a game warden tell me to leave a deer hanging in a fence for the coyotes one time, guess ethics aren't taught! I shot it anyhow!
Sounds like he was probably gored by an antler fighting. Infection goes into the blood that feeds every part of his body would you want that in your mouth or your family's.
Congratulations on the beautiful bull and precious time with loved ones in the great outdoors!!!

I've eaten a few different critters that have had some battle wounds, my concern with this one is the overall condition of the rest of the animal. If he just had a poke in his side that was healing up I wouldn't hesitate for a second to eat him. This elk has been sick for quite some time to get as skinny as his is. I bet he wasn't much over 500 on the hoof. Both hind quarters weigh about 70lbs...not each, together.
I also don't know if he's okay to eat just because he tastes okay?
It's hard to know if that injury is what was causing all of his problems, or if he had other problems and that's why the injury wasn't healing?
McDonald's would call it premium angus!!! I'd pass on it

Worked in a couple of slaughter houses over the years , as a maintenance mechanic , and worked closely with the inspectors / veterinarians (FDA) and saw many condemned animals over the years , One thing I always noticed was the , fat was yellow and the meat smelled. Even if the meat didn't smell , If the fat was yellow they would tag it , and do testing.. Bottom Line if it don't look right , don't eat it.. Just My Two Cents... JJ.

I think your dilemma comes from the fact the bull was shot while hunting so your ethics tell you not to waste the animal. If you were not hunting, happened on the bull and put it down to end the suffering you would not think of eating it. As it turns out when it was put out of its misery just happened to be when hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.