Would you eat this bull?

My wife killed her first bull on Halloween, and what started as a great day ended in disappointment. Antlers are cool, but we hunt for meat.
I don't want to be wasteful, and certainly don't want to throw away an elk that took all day to get out, but I'm really struggling with feeding my family with this.

He had a really nasty infection on the bottom of his brisket, that puss was bubbling out. The wound went into the lung cavity.
As you can see, he is very skinny.
I'm afraid the infection might be throughout his body.
You can see the bright viens all over his hide, I don't know that it's related, but I've never seen hide look like this.
Not sure what to do, this sucks.
Why take a chance. Infection will be throughout the animals body... and who knows if it may also have CWD. If the animal is thin, one could assume it has been sick for a while.

Not even sure I would even feed my dogs with it.
On the bright side, you ended a long and protracted suffering for the animal.

So sorry.
Unfortunate waste of a tag.

My wife killed her first bull on Halloween, and what started as a great day ended in disappointment. Antlers are cool, but we hunt for meat.
I don't want to be wasteful, and certainly don't want to throw away an elk that took all day to get out, but I'm really struggling with feeding my family with this.

He had a really nasty infection on the bottom of his brisket, that puss was bubbling out. The wound went into the lung cavity.
You can see the bright viens all over his hide, I don't know that it's related, but I've never seen hide look like this.
No why take the chance. David

Tough question, in my area hoof rot has been prevalent for many years now and some of the animals have bad infections. I've been offered meat from one but I refused. Might be a good question for your regional biologist. I see the predicament, I too hunt for food first and wouldn't want to pass on so much meat.
Nope no way

Wanton Waste
For those that have shot sick/injured animals and left them, be sure of your state's Wanton Waste regulations.
If someone comes along that animal and all required meat has not been removed, the evidence of sickness may be gone by the time the GW gets there. So, report it first. I've put some animals down and the GW has been very understanding (a couple of photos suffice) and my tag (if used) returned.
BTW, talked to a guy this year in UT who was hit with a Wanton Waste $500 ticket. He took a mulie during archery and the shot was downward through a backstrap. Backstrap was really bloodshot so he left it on the carcass. Took everything thing else, to include rib meat. GW didn't care.

BTW, beautiful bull and I am so sorry to hear about it's overall health.

Contact your local fish and game see what he has to say you might get lucky and save your wife's tag but at least give them a heads up on what you have

I am with most of the others and would not feed it to my family. I would contact your Game and Fish Department and explain your situation. A number of years ago my Son shot a cow elk in Utah. It had an old wound that smelled and once we skinned it out realized it was bad. We called and the local Game Warden came to our motel and also stated he would not feed his family with it either and took the elk to drop it at his dump spot. To our surprise, without asking, he gave us another tag and my son harvested another cow elk.

I think I'd have better luck trying to take an elk from a grizzly bear than I would trying to take those antlers from my wife, as much as we love the meat, she ain't giving those up!!!!
Good thing I have a cow tag.
If that's the case then you probably just have to take the loss. In the wild preditors eat a kill right up to the point of putrification. It should be fine for your dogs if you cook it well. You might want to cook it outside! At least that way it will save on dog food and won't be a total loss.

With a wound that is oozing pus why would you take a chance with either your wile's or your own health.
It is a shame to let that animal go to waste however your family's health comes first!

I would call your State's Department of Fish and Game and let them know of your wife's kill and the state of the body.
My reasoning:
The Deptmant Of Fish & Game or Wildlife will probably want to send this body to your states game biologist for a study and examination in order to determine if a parasite is invading it.
This could also jeopardize the entire Elk population that is found in your area.
In that light I would not consume any of that Elk's meat and rather do your self and your family a favor and let simply let your State Department of Fish & Game Handle it.
In all Honesty I'm surprised that when you brought this Elk to a state authorized checking station they did not notice or say anything about this to you.

IMHO: This animal is fit neither for consumption by humans or your beloved pets!
Hope this helps !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.