Wolves poisoned in Oregon

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I lived on Weston Mountain in Eastern Oregon my neighbor raised goats. One day a pack of wolves jumped her fence and killed all of her goats. DNA proved this. They did not, however eat her goats. They killed them and left. They are killing machines. There is no animal in Oregon that they cannot follow or chase until too tired to run. Then they will kill the animal and maybe eat it, maybe not. The Dept. Of Fish and Wildlife just told us the keep pets indoors, do not let children go to the school bus stop without an adult and every thing would be okay. It's just a matter of time before an innocent human is killed by wolves. They are beautiful animals but cold blooded killers.

Had two coyotes come in the yard the other night at 2:30 AM and attack one of our 200 pound goats. The attack was 15 feed from my bedroom window. Luckily I heard the goat screaming and was able to yell and scare them off. The rimfire wasn't enough to get them at 80 yards so now the AR is sitting by the bed a laser and spotlight attached. I cannot imagine the carnage from wolves compared to little coyotes.

Before this country was "discovered" my ancestors lived in harmony with all the creatures that the creator put here. They took what they needed and used what they took. If for food shelter or clothing nothing was wasted. Then settlers came and took what they wanted a wasted needlessly the resources the Creator provided for us. We were entrusted to be good stewards of the land. We failed. We should be ashamed for hunting animals to the brink of extinction or to extinction. Wolves were put here by the Creator for a purpose and we have no right to eliminate them. Yes times have changed, so we must adapt to the problems that we created. So now we must be managed because we cannot control ourselves. It looks like we have a people problem. Politicians and ourselves need to leave game management to the wildlife conservation commission because we have proven we cannot make sensible decisions only selfish ones. I am a hunter, I take what need, and use what I take. If you disagree with me you have that right. Just take into consideration that God created a perfect world and look what a mess we made. Bless you all.

I figured you lived in the city. I do live in Pennsylvania and no they haven't made it this far YET. We have coy wolves here and they came from Michigan without the help of city dwellers and wolves will do the same. Wolves need to be managed by the state wildlife service not do gooders from the city or Washington. I'm guessing you are a transplant from New York or California?

You say a lot for a guy who has no idea what he's talking about.

1) I was joking about living in a "bustling metropolis." There are no bustling metropolises in Montana. You would know that if you had ever been out here where, you know, the wolves are. The biggest and most "urban" cities are Billings, Bozeman and Missoula. I don't live there.

2) I've lived in five other states (and four countries). None of them were New York or California.

3) Yes, you have big coyotes in Pennsylvania. They aren't wolves.

4) I agree wolves should be managed by the state in the same way states manage other big game species. The state of Oregon is the one managing their wolf population. The wolves in eastern Oregon are not federally protected. They're part of the Northern Rocky Mountain wolf population. They're managed by the ODFW. The laws that were broken? State laws. Not federal laws. You would know these particular wolves weren't managed by the "do gooders in Washington" if you actually lived near wolves. You don't. You live in Pennsylvania, where you have big coyotes and strong opinions about "city folk," but no wolves.

I like elk, and I like hunting elk. I like wolves, and I like hunting wolves. I don't like people illegally poisoning wolves. I don't like people illegally poisoning elk, even though I've seen the damage they can do to the ag land around where I live. I think states should appropriately manage them. I don't think people should take to poisoning or illegally shooting them in the middle of the night. That's against the North American model of conservation. I'm curious...what other kinds of poaching are you a big fan of?

We--the people who live with wolves--don't need help from you east coast types telling us how to manage them. You think because you don't live in a city you're some how more qualified than other people who don't live around wolves. Maybe next you'll tell the people of Botswana how to deal with their elephants, and if a local doesn't agree when you advocate poaching them, you can accuse him of being a city do-gooder.

I wish you the best of luck in your big coyote hunting.

CMON, no carnivore is going to waste nutrition like that. This is just a bunch of sensationalist ******** like saying everyone that doesn't subscribe to your flavor of politics is a pedophile.
Back in the early 2000's we came up on 7 dead dall sheep rams. Most were full curl. Deep snow. All had been killed by wolves. You could see from the tracks and trails how it played out. None were eaten. Wolves are not conservationist. They kill because it's their instinct to do so when opportunity arise. They kill because that's what they do. They eat when they are hungry.

If we were really lucky maybe they would get a few of the lifer politicians. The bunny huggers could manage their own little population maintain their own breeding pairs and make sure they have migration corridors between large cities

If we were really lucky maybe they would get a few of the lifer politicians. The bunny huggers could manage their own little population maintain their own breeding pairs and make sure they have migration corridors between large cities
I've been saying for a long time they need to release grizzly bears in San Francisco. There used to be a significant amount on the coastal range there.

By the way, all predators will "overkill" if given the opportunity. I had a great horned owl get into my pigeon coop two nights in a row. Shame on me for letting happen but it did. The first night it killed 11 and the second night it killed 7. It ate one the first night and none the second.

Sadly Minnesota DNR has had a regulated season on wolf hunting but the liberal courts stopped it. Wolves have all but destroyed the Moose herds and severely damaged the deer herds in the Northern half of the state. Bear and coyote populations have also increased but the prime predator of big game is the wolf. They should be at least regulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.