Winchester Model 100 .308

My only confidence in this rifle comes from my grandpa literally shooting dozens of the deer in the neck with corelok ammo. I'm fairly certain after a deep clean on the whole rifle I'll be able to achieve a decent load for it. Atleast I hope so!

I've learned the Internet is not very fond of these rifles. But I'm willing to waste my time and money to try and bring this rifle back to life
Go for it, full speed ahead. The keyboard commandos' junk is a family member's treasured heirloom. It's not about the rifle model, it is ALL about its history and connection to your Gpa....the story makes those priceless treasures. Updates and pics as you go, please.

Go for it, full speed ahead. The keyboard commandos' junk is a family member's treasured heirloom. It's not about the rifle model, it is ALL about its history and connection to your Gpa....the story makes those priceless treasures. Updates and pics as you go, please.
Exactly. Thank you sir. Lost both my parents this year in their 50's. I've found a lot of healing in the few things I inherited. I'm also having my fathers 243 rebarreled by Beanland Rifles. Very excited about that build too. It will become my dedicated hunting rifle

This year I inherited an old Model 100 chambered in .308. It originally belonged to my grandpa and is one of the few guns he purchased new.

I'm looking for any advice on reloading for this rifle. It has a 22" 1 in 12 twist barrel. I have federal gold match brass and 215m primers. I can source others. Powders I have are very limited. Mainly H4350, Varget, and 8208 XBR. Again I can source others. Bullets I would like to try in the 150-170gr range. I intend for this to be strictly a short range hunting rifle (200yds) for deer and hog sized game.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to completely disassemble this rifle and give it the only cleaning this rifles ever had. I expect the barrel to be my biggest challenge

Merry Christmas!
Why not start with factory rounds around 150gr to get her up and running, establish a baseline? Bet it's a deer killer with factory loads, as your Gpa probably confirmed. Walk in his boots.

I shot my first few deer with a m100 in 243. I could be wrong but I think you want to have it inspected too make sure it's been updated and safe. I dont remember exactly what the issue is with them.
In 1990, Winchester issued a recall for this rifle due to a tendency for the firing pin to break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face, causing the rifle to fire with the action not fully locked, leading to possible catastrophic failure and risk of severe injury or death to the shooter. A call to Winchester Customer Service is in order.

Why not start with factory rounds around 150gr to get her up and running, establish a baseline? Bet it's a deer killer with factory loads, as your Gpa probably confirmed. Walk in his boots.
Mainly because I'm a reloader and too cheap to buy factory ammo. But I do in fact have 40-50 rounds of factory ammo I can burn. I've already bought Brass and just ordered a Die. All I need is bullets and I'm ready to go.

Might try some Nosler AB a friend has. I know these are known killers

My oldest son loads and shoots W748 behind 150 gr. bullets in his 308's and has had great success with that load on Whitetails, incidentally that is also Winchester's powder for their factory loaded 150 grains

In 1990, Winchester issued a recall for this rifle due to a tendency for the firing pin to break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face, causing the rifle to fire with the action not fully locked, leading to possible catastrophic failure and risk of severe injury or death to the shooter. A call to Winchester Customer Service is in order.
Yes that sounds familiar. By 90 we had kind of left it in the back of the gun cabinet. I would like to get ahold of it and make sure it's good to go again.

I read where multiple guys have contacted Winchester in recent years and they still honer the recall. I will definitely do so. Thanks