Winchester Model 100 .308

I just recently (Nov '21) had 4 Model 100's all in 308. 2 had already had the firing pin recall/exchange done on them. I did the other two myself, and cleaned them pretty good while I had them down. You can contact Winchester customer service with the serial at 800-356-2666 or contact them online with an email (what I did). If you need new firing pins you first have to send them the old ones. Turn around was about 2 weeks, They also promised a $30 check for each for the service work that is to arrive later (haven't seen it yet).

Like a lot of things there are some utube vids on the disassembly and assembly, they were very helpful. Take your time and pay close attention.

Of the 4, I sold 2 of them, traded 1 and kept the only pre64. Someone said the internet was not fond of them.... I didn't have any issues moving the 3 I did, had folks contacting after they were gone wanting more.

Good Luck and be safe

88's and 100's both never really sold in great numbers. Too bad too, in the right regions or type of hunting they're an excellent choice. I dimly recall being told by a Winchester collector about 30 years ago that the .284 Win cartridge owes it's existence to these rifles.

My 308 with speer 165 grn spbt and n-150 powder is very accurate. I've used all my n-150 so am changing and now I'm loading up now with Lovex (explosia) D073.6 with S&B lr primers and PPU brass. This powder is aka Accurate 2520 but without the carcinogenic additives (apparently) that prevent A2520 being sold in Europe.

This year I inherited an old Model 100 chambered in .308. It originally belonged to my grandpa and is one of the few guns he purchased new.

I'm looking for any advice on reloading for this rifle. It has a 22" 1 in 12 twist barrel. I have federal gold match brass and 215m primers. I can source others. Powders I have are very limited. Mainly H4350, Varget, and 8208 XBR. Again I can source others. Bullets I would like to try in the 150-170gr range. I intend for this to be strictly a short range hunting rifle (200yds) for deer and hog sized game.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to completely disassemble this rifle and give it the only cleaning this rifles ever had. I expect the barrel to be my biggest challenge

Merry Christmas!
I have owned a couple of Winchester Model 100's all in .308. I have fired all kinds of ammo through them, both factory and handloads and can simply say that they can handle any modern factory load or even handloads unless you are trying to shoot hyper velocity or really heavy loads. (200 gr or more.) My Model 100's loved 150 and 165/167 gr bullets, pretty much didn't care who made them although I stuck with Nosler and Sierra. They tolerated 180 gr but did not like them all that well. 1 MOA groups were possible, but SUB MOA a challenge. I pretty much preferred the Model 70, I and have both pre and post 64 models that would consistently shoot better groups than the Model 100. They are magnificent rifles in the hands of an experienced marksman shooting good ammo. My current preferences are Federal Premium and Sig Sauer Elite ammo. I can match their accuracy but it's pretty much impossible to beat them with comparable handloads. I would not hesitate to shoot a Model 100 for Deer/Antelope size animals or even Elk limited to 100 or 200 yards.

My favorite .308 powder is Win 748. Skip the 215 primers, std lg rifle primers. I like 165gr in the .308's seems to run better.

The 100 had a recall - here is some info.

The S/N on my Granpas rifle is 134202. According to my research it was Manufactured in 1965 if I'm reading this right?
6BB7D488-0924-4EEA-B778-5640FC51EF0E.png

I have a copy of 1 of 1000 of the Book of Winchester I bought about 40 years ago.
Your rifle was manufactured in 1964. Serial numbers in the 135000 range started in 1965

I have a copy of 1 of 1000 of the Book of Winchester I bought about 40 years ago.
Your rifle was manufactured in 1964. Serial numbers in the 135000 range started in 1965
Thank you sir. Great to know the history. It's priceless to me regardless the value

Looks like I'm in the clear regarding the firing pin recall