winchester model 88, 284 winchester loads

I believe that mine (early 1957) was one that cracked and why it was restocked with Fancy (Extra Fancy?) American Walnut for strength. It has a Weaver Tip Off Mount and 4X. The stock isn't like what you described but I like it. I just use a Limb Saver on mine, the 88s are Beautiful but Stout. It makes the LOP better, for me I anyways. Not the boys, all three are 6' 4" or more.

Anyways here is one with a custom stock.View attachment 309978
Old school, love it. Cheers

I believe that mine (early 1957) was one that cracked and why it was restocked with Fancy (Extra Fancy?) American Walnut for strength. It has a Weaver Tip Off Mount and 4X. The stock isn't like what you described but I like it. I just use a Limb Saver on mine, the 88s are Beautiful but Stout. It makes the LOP better, for me I anyways. Not the boys, all three are 6' 4" or more.

Anyways here is one with a custom stock.View attachment 309978
Very nice! Been toying with the idea of acquiring another to build something ....

The action on the model 88 is a "turning bolt" type action. They shoot as well a any bolt action rifle. I have shot several and all were tack drivers with the correct load. The twist rate can be measured. Pretty sure they were 1:10.

Enjoy shooting that fine old gun!!!! Take the time to experiment and discover a load the gun likes, and use that one. That's the fun part for me . IMHO ,Its not really hard to kill a whitetail with a properly placed shot , from almost any modern rifle caliber , at the sensible range that round was expected to be used at when it was developed. Good luck with load development and your first hunt with it!!!

The action on the model 88 is a "turning bolt" type action. They shoot as well a any bolt action rifle. I have shot several and all were tack drivers with the correct load. The twist rate can be measured. Pretty sure they were 1:10.
Pretty sure you're thinking of the M-70 30-06 that was a 10T. The M-88 .308 was a 12T.

Just a little info on model 88 clips. The 284 win uses a different clip from the 308 and 243 . 308 clips will not work for the 284 because the case shoulders will be pinched by the mag and not feed correctly.. These should be marked 284 on front of the mag. The 358 clips are also different from the 308 clips but are not marked 358. You can in most cases use a 308 clip for a 358, but practice feeding loaded ammo with that 308 clip before hunting.

Yep and when it comes to Model 88's the 358Winchester and 284 Winchesters are three to four times the value of a similar condition rifle in 308 Winchester, but they're not 3 X better.. So's , if you're just going out huntN with it, not an Elk walkN could tell a nickels worth a difference if hit by either the 284 or 308. Just wouldn't pay $ 4,000 to go hunt with pristine 284 Winchester thinkN it's something from a Harry Potter's magic kit, that could stop an Elk at 750 yards! They were really cool in 1955; under the Christmas tree, to a Michigan deer hunter and 88's still are, good luck hunting!!

I have a nice early Mod 88 in .308. One of the nicest stalking rifles ever in my opinion, light, easy to handle, quick to point. When my eyes were younger I had a Lyman peep on it, I think they came drilled for them. I have a little 1.5-6 Whitetail Expedition on it now, nice setup. It shoots nice groups of less than an inch with flat base bullets such as Partitions or Interlocks, I have loaded 150 grain with either Varget or H4895. Last year I though I would try some Accubonds and Barnes TTSX. It threw them all over the paper. I tried different seating depth and powder loads to no avail. I measured the throat when I tried the Barnes, it's very deep on mine. Didn't touch the lands until it was almost falling out of the case. I suspect that is the reason the long ogive boat tails spray around, not entering the rifling straight. That said I am completely happy with a Partition, I consider it to be a 300 yard rifle anyway. Its the one I take into the steep ravines and broken timber mule deer and elk hunts. The only problem is once you hunt with it you don't want to pack the bolt action any more!

Yep and when it comes to Model 88's the 358Winchester and 284 Winchesters are three to four times the value of a similar condition rifle in 308 Winchester, but they're not 3 X better.. So's , if you're just going out huntN with it, not an Elk walkN could tell a nickels worth a difference if hit by either the 284 or 308. Just wouldn't pay $ 4,000 to go hunt with pristine 284 Winchester thinkN it's something from a Harry Potter's magic kit, that could stop an Elk at 750 yards! They were really cool in 1955; under the Christmas tree, to a Michigan deer hunter and 88's still are, good luck hunting!!
paid $800

I just built a 284win in a remington 700 short action. Only issue I've encountered is bullets being so long that once you load them up they don't fit into the magazine...but if you single feed them they shoot tiny little 1/2" groups. So beware of the cartridge length when you use some the modern high BC bullets. I'm going to move my barrel to a remington 700 long action so I can load the long bullets and take advantage of the longer magazine.

I just built a 284win in a remington 700 short action. Only issue I've encountered is bullets being so long that once you load them up they don't fit into the magazine...but if you single feed them they shoot tiny little 1/2" groups. So beware of the cartridge length when you use some the modern high BC bullets. I'm going to move my barrel to a remington 700 long action so I can load the long bullets and take advantage of the longer magazine.
yeah, i have to fit anything i load in the magazine. limited also by the 1 in 10 twist for bullet stability. 150 may be the limit although i will try 168 bergers just for fun, thats what i shoot in my 7mm wsm rifles.

Regarding magazine length. Always drove me nuts that the SAMMI spec reamer distance to lands was not compatible to the magazine length on production rifles. There is no reason to use a rifle as a single shot when it could be a repeater unless there are special circumstances. There are ways to deal with it.

Longer mag box like a Wyatt's can help or have a gunsmith lengthen the existing magazine.
I had two SA Rugers mag boxes lengthened. They are now 3.1." The concept of proper magazine length was used with the Ultra Light Arms model 28 rifle where I got the idea.

Another other way is when you rebarrel the rifle, purchase a reamer with the distance to the lands that you need to have the bullet engaging the lands to fit and feed from mag box if that is what you want.

Third way is use a bullet that is seating depth friendly. One such bullet is the Berger Hybrid. I have had great success with these bullets in a variety of calibers. Jumps to lands as long as .156" shot well.