284 Winchester dies

vern.284

What's your favorite dies for the 284. And what types do you typically use. Stepping up from the 260 to the 284 and would like you expertise. Thanks

This is a tough question. Depends on your chamber is it SAMMI or custom? Are you target shooting or hunting?

I use Redding for my 284 which has its necks turned per the specs of my custom reamer. I use a bushing die, body bump die and a competition seating die.

With Redding you can go several ways: with a basic FL (full length) die and a seater die, a FL/bushing die and a competition seating die, or a three die set which separates the neck sizing and body sizing into two dies plus a competition seater die (like I did).

There are a few other variations from Redding. Some of the sets are outrageously expensive. There is one that uses a competition style die (with micrometer top) for the bushing AND the Seating plus a body die. Approx $450!!!

Basic two die sets (FL/ Seater) are available from RCBS, Hornady or others. These can size your brass just fine and save you a ton of money and effort. I still use these types of die sets for many of my hunting rifles.

As stated above…there are a few good choices.

I use Redding FL bushing sizer and competition seater.

Last edited:
I use both Forster FL and Wilson bushing dies.
I had some issues with Redding. A FL die non bushing die induced .010 neck runout and also found holes not centered in several of my Redding bushings. The redding dies that I do use are equipped with Wilson bushings now

So this will be for a hunting / target rifle. I'd like to keep it simple at SAAMI chamber nothing custom right now.

I guess I should have been more specific on 2 or 3 die sets. And which one you use for yourself. Both make and your preference on dies

I get good runout with my Redding bushing sizer.
I load for hunting and long range target shooting and the bushings allow me to adjust neck tension for either.
However, I do use a Wilson seater for my target ammo and it may help improve bullet runout due to its mechanical design.
FWIW, my Wilson #4 26" hunting rifle shoots about as accurately as my 30" MTU target rifle.

got a basic forster set if youre looking

got a basic forster set if youre looking

Those may work fine if the neck hasn't been custom reamed for someone who neck-turns brass.