winchester model 88, 284 winchester loads

I just sold a Winchester model 88 308. Hooded front sight and flip down adjustable rear sight, to a friend of mine. It is a great gun. This link has the serial numbers by year. Page 33.
file:///C:/Users/joepr/AppData/Local/Temp/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year-2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf

Obviously start low and work up, but this is what my 284 win has liked:

***not a SAAMI factory chambering

Attachments

• FAA406AC-ABC5-4433-9410-E1169F8AE058.jpeg
    FAA406AC-ABC5-4433-9410-E1169F8AE058.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I just sold a Winchester model 88 308. Hooded front sight and flip down adjustable rear sight, to a friend of mine. It is a great gun. This link has the serial numbers by year. Page 33.
file:///C:/Users/joepr/AppData/Local/Temp/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year-2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf
thanks for the info

Ya gotta experiment with different factory rounds/bullets/loads. But I'd recommend not the-barreling unless the barrel is shot out (doubtful) due to the collector value of this rifle.

Have one in 308. Terrible trigger, but it is a tack driver.
My '57' .308 is a tack driver for 3 rounds. My trigger was reworked before I got it. That smith sure knew what he was doing, great trigger. The stock is a beautiful fancy to extra grade custom American Walnut, someday I will find a good factory to go with it. It has a Weaver Tipoff mount with a Weaver El Paso 4X. Accurate, light, fast, very handy and beautiful. It's my favorite rifle. If I had one just like it in .284? I'd be walking on clouds.

i just acquired a mod 88 winchester in 284 winchester. i am looking for reloading suggestions for this rifle. usually use barnes ttsx or berger hybrids. this is standard, not carbine barrel, 22 in i believe. dont know twist. if it doesnt shoot well i will replace barrel with a benchmark. suggestions
Perhaps I missed it, what weight bullets? Also, I had a Win M88 in .308 Win a great rifle, pre 64 with that said; never try and take it completely apart, I'm pretty handy with rifle mechanics and I had to send it off to the Old Western Scrounger to get it back together as I recall. Best of luck, Cheers

M88 Pre 64 .308 Win (4).jpg

Perhaps I missed it, what weight bullets? Also, I had a Win M88 in .308 Win a great rifle, pre 64 with that said; never try and take it completely apart, I'm pretty handy with rifle mechanics and I had to send it off to the Old Western Scrounger to get it back together as I recall. Best of luck, Cheers

View attachment 309888
you rifle is nicer than mine! live it. now that i have 284 ill keep looking for others

My '57' .308 is a tack driver for 3 rounds. My trigger was reworked before I got it. That smith sure knew what he was doing, great trigger. The stock is a beautiful fancy to extra grade custom American Walnut, someday I will find a good factory to go with it. It has a Weaver Tipoff mount with a Weaver El Paso 4X. Accurate, light, fast, very handy and beautiful. It's my favorite rifle. If I had one just like it in .284? I'd be walking on clouds.
i need to find a good smith to improve the trigger. others have told me, it cant be improved, thank u so much. would love to see a pic. i have about 175 rifle blanks of very nice to exquisite english, collected over 49 years. want one of the best on this rifle.

Get your custom stock ready, if you shoot maximum loads through the 88 you'll find the wrist portion of the stock is kind of week they have a tendency to crack right there other than that they're a very fine rifle just don't shoot super hot loads, good luck with it