308 winchester model 99

Deepins

I just received a Model 99 Savage from my Dad. My friend said to ask about a load
for the rifle. I would like to shoot a 165gr bullet for hunting.
Would like any information and hand loads for this rifle that you may have. I am not a long range shooter but I would like a good accurate load.
Thank you

Deepins - I'll give a standard response - each rifle is it's own critter. Meaning, what one likes another will not.
Saying that, I'd suggest some loads using Varget or IMR4064. Both seem to be about the right burn-rate to get the most out of the 165's.
Start with the lower-end loads and work up in .5 gr increments until you find a load your rifle likes. Start them off at 'standard' length (2.81 COAL), make sure they'll feed through your magazine and see what works in your rifle.
99's are one of my favorites. Enjoy that rifle and who you got it from!

Deepins - I'll give a standard response - each rifle is it's own critter. Meaning, what one likes another will not.
Saying that, I'd suggest some loads using Varget or IMR4064. Both seem to be about the right burn-rate to get the most out of the 165's.
Start with the lower-end loads and work up in .5 gr increments until you find a load your rifle likes. Start them off at 'standard' length (2.81 COAL), make sure they'll feed through your magazine and see what works in your rifle.
99's are one of my favorites. Enjoy that rifle and who you got it from!

I have a couple 99's chambered in .300 Savage, and they seem to prefer the 150 grain bullet. Not saying that a 165 won't work, cause it probably will. Your next issue is the magazine type. Both of mine are the rotary magazine (best). Never shot or been around one with the box mag.

These rifles will ruin your day! So plan on it!! They are extremely addictive, and would not trade one for any bolt gun out there! Only thing close to them is my Hi-Walls. Do not modify the rifle, as you'll only reduce it's value. They are so addictive, that you'll find yourself looking for the next one. I'm still crying about missing a presentation grade 99 (fully engraved) that went for $2200 by 15 minutes.

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.