Winchester Model 100 .308

SealT5

This year I inherited an old Model 100 chambered in .308. It originally belonged to my grandpa and is one of the few guns he purchased new.

I'm looking for any advice on reloading for this rifle. It has a 22" 1 in 12 twist barrel. I have federal gold match brass and 215m primers. I can source others. Powders I have are very limited. Mainly H4350, Varget, and 8208 XBR. Again I can source others. Bullets I would like to try in the 150-170gr range. I intend for this to be strictly a short range hunting rifle (200yds) for deer and hog sized game.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to completely disassemble this rifle and give it the only cleaning this rifles ever had. I expect the barrel to be my biggest challenge

Merry Christmas!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to completely disassemble this rifle and give it the only cleaning this rifles ever had.
I get these in for cleaning often. Gas cylinder is usually carboned up and chamber could use OOOO steel wool cleaning as often pitted. Remember bolt has to be moved rearward all of the way to remove action from stock, seen several cracked stocks from people trying without.

One of my .308's really likes 4895 with 150 grain bullets. Lighter bullets usually stabilize better in the slower twist barrel. But at higher altitudes the heavies can surprise you also. I don't know where you are from, but shooting hogs, I assume lower elevation.

I get these in for cleaning often. Gas cylinder is usually carboned up and chamber could use OOOO steel wool cleaning as often pitted. Remember bolt has to be moved rearward all of the way to remove action from stock, seen several cracked stocks from people trying without.
Thank you sir!

I have a YouTube video saved for disassembly. He mirrors exactly what your saying. Hope I don't break the stock dissembling it

One of my .308's really likes 4895 with 150 grain bullets. Lighter bullets usually stabilize better in the slower twist barrel. But at higher altitudes the heavies can surprise you also. I don't know where you are from, but shooting hogs, I assume lower elevation.
Lol we are at 1800' in Childress TX

I shot my first few deer with a m100 in 243. I could be wrong but I think you want to have it inspected too make sure it's been updated and safe. I dont remember exactly what the issue is with them.

I shot my first few deer with a m100 in 243. I could be wrong but I think you want to have it inspected too make sure it's been updated and safe. I dont remember exactly what the issue is with them.
Firing pin I believe. I'll double check

A 12 twist will only handle up to a 168 grain bullet. I loaded for a buddies Model 100 with 150 grain flat base, WLR primer and IMR 3031. I bedded it and it shot amazingly well. Many .5 and under, 5 shot groups, came out of that rifle.

One of my only factory guns is a Remington 700 308 5R MilSpec. Has a 24" 11.25 twist barrel and shoots darn near as good as any custom gun I've ever owned. 42 grains of Varget with 175 VLDs shoot .2-.4s. 44 grains of Varget with 168 SGK shoots the same or better.

I don't think you'll have a problem with quickly finding a good load with Varget.