308 Winchester Brass Dents

mattkent

I have a brand new bag of 308 Winchester brass and half of the bag has small dents or creases. I am posting pictures and should I just throw away all of this brass or is it safe to use? This was the worst patch I have ever received from Winchester.

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2852.jpg
    IMG_2852.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 114
I often find range brass in that condition and it loads and shoots fine, though I have never specifically tested it to see if such dents cause a decrease in precision. From my experience, which is limited compared to many of the others on this forum, it should be safe as long as it isn't pierced and it chambers. I have never had an issue with such small dents, and have found that they usually smooth out after fireforming.

Those dents will have no bearing on pressure or velocity.
Always look for creases/folds/pleats, these can give way causing gas cutting in the chamber wall.
Dents that small even happen when tumbling brass, especially if it's freshly annealed.

Cheers.
gun)

Mattkent, I recently purchased 2 bags of new Winchester 300WM brass, 50 pcs in each bag. Both had one case that had a definate fold, or crease in it. Those 2 cases will not get used. The pics you show look like dents that should not have a very negative effect. Just be sure to inspect each case, & possibly FL size before using, would be my advice. Good Luck, Idaho-5R

What do you think about cases with really small creases? I have a lot of them from my bag where the brass looks good except for a super small dent with slight crease. I was having a hard time trying to get my camera to take a good photo of these small little creases.

What do you think about cases with really small creases? I have a lot of them from my bag where the brass looks good except for a super small dent with slight crease. I was having a hard time trying to get my camera to take a good photo of these small little creases.
If they are that small and not in the case neck are it's probably not an issue. You can always highlight it with a sharpie to take pictures to post if it concerns you.

New brass frequently shows handling marks from shipping and stocking, scratches and dents don't bother me.

It's always a good idea to full length size all new brass before loading.

I always throw out cases with any kind of crease. It is a real weak spot and usually will fail upon firing allowing hot gases to scorch your chamber walls. Not a good thing at all.

No worries with that type of dent. As stated above, I will trash creased brass. I had Russian 308 VEPR that would put a dent/crease in the middle of every case upon ejection. That gun didn't last long.

Matt, your pics appear typical of Winchester brass if not above average. Between folds, splits, dents and weight/thickness deviation I can't justify buying it. If it's the only brass available, I'll wait for better quality. The dents in your pics will easily blow out with the first firing and look as smooth as your chamber. As WildRose said full length size.