Will the chassis eventually dominate?

HS3 looks good , one piece from bi-pod to behind the bolt is a must for me . I like it .
For lower recoil rounds I would own one no worries.

I convinced a friend to get a Ruger Precision in 308 Afew weeks ago. Had him put a nice piece of Vortex glass on it. He's somewhat of a novice at shooting, but wanted to start and I told him this should do the trick. We've put a few boxes through it; 150/165/180 in Hornady & Remington. Very nice groups (1/2" and less) and easy to shoot. He did pretty well at 200 yds. I told next time we head to the 500 yard range. Looking forward to it.

The thing I like most is you put the chassis away for a year and then bring it out again and it shoots exactly the same , well mine does anyway .
The Ruger Precision sound like a nice piece of gear . It's nice when it all works well from the get go .
I am not a fan of separate screw attached forends but if done nice and solid they are ok.
The Military like a modular concept because they can just replace a certain part if it's bent and it's lighter but it's not necessarily the most rigid concept .

Actually they are not that expensive to produce with CNC machinery now . That's an industry lie told to people to justify the prices asked . Some laminated fiberglass BR stocks already have most of the internals as a laminated in alloy block anyway . That is more work to make than allowing a CNC machine to just spit out the parts one after the other all made from solid 7075 stock . The adjust-ability of many chassis stocks makes them more comfortable to shoot prone than a fixed stock with no pistol grip .
No it's not a lie industry or otherwise. I've priced a lot of them and yes they are expensive.

The pistol grip came about because of the ergonomics of carrying rifles and bringing them into action quickly not because it makes them shoot any better or more comfortably than a traditional stock.

For most people it's about what they start out with and get used to. We have tens of millions of active and former cops and military folks in this country today who's first rifles were M-16/M-4 variants so that's what suits them naturally.

For those that started with traditional stocks that's what feels most natural to them.

MPA BA Chassis - MasterPiece Arms, Inc.

Chassis systems are probably going to be the future. Look at this system and when you consider the cost of inletting, finishing, bedding, pillars, bottom metal etc it is cheap. MPA seems to be rising to the top out of the pack also.

Check out the BA Lite if you are looking at lighter.

Plus drop in your barreled action. Does not get much easier than that.

Now look at their complete rifles and not many places can you get a rifle ready to go at that price.

Thanks BH. I sure does look like a hunting rifle of 10-12# total weight could be constructed using the MPA BA light chassis with careful consideration of barrel taper, scope, mounts, etc. I'm getting intrigued, and contemplating a project for 6.5x284 hunting rifle. I agree with you and also thinking that the chassis systems may very well be the future of rifle design for the reasons you describe. LOL, I just retired from the high tech lab testing industry...and now finding it difficult to shake 45 years of constant product evolution.

No it's not a lie industry or otherwise. I've priced a lot of them and yes they are expensive.

The pistol grip came about because of the ergonomics of carrying rifles and bringing them into action quickly not because it makes them shoot any better or more comfortably than a traditional stock.

For most people it's about what they start out with and get used to. We have tens of millions of active and former cops and military folks in this country today who's first rifles were M-16/M-4 variants so that's what suits them naturally.

For those that started with traditional stocks that's what feels most natural to them.
I said not that expensive to "produce " .

I said not that expensive to "produce " .
Buying the CNC machining equipment is a huge investment and everyone wants to make that money back and start showing a profit as soon as possible. I get it and don't blame anyone for wanting to make a profit but it makes them expensive for the consumer.

I've actually seen several I really like including one made by a small company in the DFW area but I just can't justify the expense.

There are many that would argue that there is a difference. The straight grip was a traditional throwback to the days when it afforded a more natural and less fatiguing carry with the long heavy muskets. This stuck, and as a result, us older gents were taught to always keep the elbow up when shooting. The reason was to keep the shooting wrist straight, the key to optimum control of the hand/fingers, with the lowest fatigue rate/best accuracy. Shooting from an upright position, the vertical grip achieves a straight wrist with an elbow down allowing a more natural shooting position and presenting a smaller profile(if hunting or in battle). The most noticeable difference is when shooting prone. The vertical grip allows the elbow to be planted to the ground comfortably and firmly for support while maintaining a straight wrist for a more natural shooting position with better control, less fatigue, and ultimately, better accuracy. I would agree that for hunting where there is a lot more carrying then shooting, the difference may be moot, and one should go with what they are used to..

when I started comparing a nice fiberglass stock McM/Manners) with a lot of the chassis options out there, the chassis really made sense to me. By the time you buy a fiberglass stock, pay for bottom metal, and get the action bedded (assuming you pay a gunsmith to do it) the chassis ends up being the cheaper, more adjustable option. Plus you can get them in a reasonable amount of time. Custom fiberglass can take a very long time, depending on what you're looking for.

I have an XLR Element. Like it so far. I'd probably buy one again.

Dominate? I doubt it, although the chassis systems are making both great strides and headway in the world of shooting whether you decide on hunting or targets.

This is also one of those contentious topics from the standpoint that everyone here has very definitive ideas about what is right and what does not fit into their own little world of acceptable. It's no different than asking about the .30-06 Springfield and any other cartridge as to which is the best. Or .45 ACP vs. 9mm in pistols.

I started in custom, handmade walnut stocks, fine English, Circassian, French, Turkish or any other flavor which caught the eye of a client. There is simply no equal when it comes to the exceptional beauty of a truly gorgeous piece of walnut transformed into a perfectly executed and fitted stock. The drawbacks though are cost and time. None of us can afford to work for free and these stocks take lots of time and care to complete. There is no way around it.

Then along came the synthetic stocks, a God-send for extreme environments and stability. Great for ease and simplicity of fitting with very flexible constraints on actions and barrel combination. And best of all, they were lots less expensive than the handmade, wood alternatives. They required pillars and bedding, of course, then the application of any other accouterment. We even got what is referred to as a chassis installation in the form of a bedding block and DBM bottom metal/trigger guard, along with the ever-increasing price tag. Some of these stocks can get to $1,500 when you add in the folding stock option.

Then came the plywood generation. Yes, laminates, the polite reference to plywood, came onto the scene and were immediately labeled as being cheap and ugly. Cheap they were and ugly they were and still are but the general shooting public has acceded to the acceptance of this material in place of the rising costs of synthetics and walnut because they are cheap. Gunsmiths can inlet and bed them the same as the synthetics but the overhead is slightly less. The greatest downfall currently is the rapid escalation of the costs of producing the plywood target stocks for competition. These are nearing the point of insanity when the carvers are asking for and getting the high side of $1,500.00 for plywood. Silly in my opinion but they are getting it. Remember what I stated about opinions?

Now we're in the mechanized age of chassis stocks. Virtually everyone is familiar with the AR platforms and have become comfortable with their association with better firearms. CNC programming and the spread of CNC machining into even the smallest of shops has added a huge impetus to the marketing and sales of the chassis. Everyone with the money and skills necessary to operate a CNC mill has entered their personal expression of their concept of a rifle stock, executed in aluminum, into the market. We are blessed with a wide range of not only designs but levels of costs and accessories. It can get to be lots of fun to design your own idea of a stock just by the manipulation of some menus provided by the manufacturers. And voila! A few weeks later your chassis shows up ready for the drop in fitting of your barreled action. Some even state that bedding is not required under any circumstances.

If the chassis you desire is not in inventory, the delay is usually just a few weeks. Try that with our synthetic stock makers these days. The delay is measured in months, not weeks. To be fair though, our synthetic stock makers are making inroads to decreasing the wait time by several methods, so some wait times are coming down.

Is the chassis everyone's cup of tea? Not hardly. See the above about opinions. They will never have an English-style stock at the wrist. But you can add wood in the form of grips and side panels to offset the feel of cold aluminum. The chassis will remain the most adjustable of all stock options, easily managed by the owner with simple hand tools, eliminating the gunsmith for this task. The chassis itself practically removes the gunsmith from the equation of rifle building due to the simplicity of the designs. Add in the growing demand for the 'REMAGE' barreled actions and you can call yourself a gunsmith and skip all the schooling and practical training and wait times.

I have tested, manipulated and competed with almost every chassis available. Some can be adjusted to fit me easily and are very comfortable to shoot. Others fall short, not because they are inferior, but because my shape does not lend itself to the design of those chassis in particular. I have a couple which can be purchased for $400.00 while I know for a fact that there are designs out there running in the $1,500 - $2,000 range, given the selection of add-ons. There are some exceeding this top price also, much of which can attributed to being manufactured outside the U.S. or through the use of premium materials. The top dawgs in the field keep their prices high in order to claim that top spot due to the premium cost of their designs. I don't fault them as I own a couple but you will hear all the complaints and derision from many who simply don't comprehend why they are expensive.

This can be a much longer discussion, touching on more of the subtleties of design and manufacturing but that would take a long time. I like and use all of the various materials for stocks, yes, even some 'plywood'. My all-time favorite will always be fine walnut. The others though will be in the inventory and used much more frequently these days.

But how many chassis have you built ? No chassis needs to cost $2000 that is a rip off , and no chassis needs to be made out of anything more fancy than 7075 al .

Bullet bumper,

But how many chassis have you built ?

Of my own design? Probably 9, maybe 10, I'd have to go count. In my case it's up to the client as to what they want to have so they get to decide. If there isn't anything that is suitable to their desires, then I design one for them. But it's more expensive than buying one from off the shelf.

No chassis needs to cost $2000 that is a rip off

See what I mean about opinions? Everyone has something to say.

Those chassis makers at the top of the price scale have been in business for about 11 years that I can remember. So if their prices are a 'rip-off' there are literally hundreds, maybe several thousands of people that disagree with you wholeheartedly because they are still in business.

and no chassis needs to be made out of anything more fancy than 7075 al .

Once again, more opinion. It's up to the manufacturer and designers to determine what the public will pay for. Then it's up to the public to either agree or disagree, meaning that the choice of materials is either successful or a failure and gets removed from the market. Most everything on the firearms related market today is profit driven, so if the product doesn't make the level determined by the bean counters, it's removed from the market and they try something different.

Enjoy!

sable tireur
Agree wholeheartedly - everyone has an opinion that they've developed, experienced or just plain announce it.
I've got my opinions about everything, including this subject, but as I live where everything imported (except from China), is HUGELY expensive, I can only dream of the variety of equipment available to US based shooters.

kiwi49,

...but as I live where everything imported (except from China), is HUGELY expensive, I can only dream of the variety of equipment available to US based shooters.

You're right, that is an unfortunate circumstance and yes we are extremely fortunate to have the wide variety of components and accessories for the firearms trade. Currency imbalances, trade laws/restrictions, lack of support for firearms in general, can wreak havoc on sportsmen and women in the shooting sports and hunting industry.

I count myself as being fortunate since I have a supplier in NZ who makes excellent bottom metal for the firearms industry. It can take a while to jump through all the hoops but it can be successful.

Keep lobbying for allowing our products into your country at reasonable prices.

Best of Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.