Will the chassis eventually dominate?

Greyfox

It took me a while to embrace synthetic rifle stocks when they first appeared. Eventually, I had foresaken the warmth and beauty of the fine walnut stock for their practical advantages, particularly for precision LR hunting and shooting. History may be repeating itself for me. A buddy of mine bought a beastly looking Ruger RPR. Shooting this rifle at our local 1000 yard range, while skeptical of the weight, appearance, and design, I was quite surprised by the ease of hitting small targets and out of the box accuracy with his factory ammo at 500-1000 yard smallish steel targets(5-10"). With this experience sticking in my head about a month later I picked one up in 6.5 Creedmoor along with a couple of boxes of Hornady Match ammo.
Never been much of a fan of Ruger rifles, I must admit that they got this rifle right. Now with several hundred rounds and some loadwork, I find myself strongly gravitating to the accuracy potential and ergonomics of this design. While it is too heavy, and somewhat clumsy for carry, I can shoot this rifle as well or better then even my most cherished conventional rigs. The out of the box accuracy and consistency is second to none of even my best custom rifles. I don't see myself using this rifle for my LRH, but with some work on the weight and design, this could change. The growing popularity of PRS could certainly influence this. I'm wondering if anyone else feels this way?

Some 200 yard typical accuracy examples with Factory Hornady 140 ELD Match(left), and my hand load, 5 shots of 143 Hornady ELD-x hunting bullets(right) both sub .25MOA!

Attachments

• IMG_0584.JPG
    IMG_0584.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 184
I'm rite there with you. I was put into a predicament at work, having to get a new rig on a limited budget. It had to be a .308 with glass. I got a LE deal that left enough in my budget for a Mk 4 4x-14x. I cleaned it and off to the range I went. After 4 trips and about 150 rounds I was satisfied that it was a Friday or Monday gun. I called ruger and they arranged to pick it up UPS. It was gone 5 days. Returned with test target etc.. I know have 396 rounds down the tube and it just keeps getting better. The configuration is growing on me for sure, just keep thinking I need to be reaching for a charging handle instead of a bolt.:rolleyes: I just returned from a school that had 3 RPR in it and a bunch of very high dollar sticks. The Rugers I think were consistently on the top of the performance scale. The field included things like GAP bolt guns and Larue autos. I'm pretty surprised, and it humbled some others.

Pistol grip ergonomics don't work for me in target or long range rifles. The thumb naturally wants to point up on the trigger hand. A pistol grip forces the thumb down and to the left causing muscle tension in the trigger hand. Pistol grip stocks are made for controlling the rifle in combat situations. The more vertical grip stock styles like McMillian uses eliminate thumb muscle tension by giving the thumb a natural place to rest.

All that said, those who grew up learning to shoot with AR rifles seem to prefer the pistol grip. Looks are almost more important than function in firearms. The tactical look is here to stay and will probably supplant more traditional styles going forward.

I learned from shooting squeaks the typical rifle pistol grip is very uncomfortable. Years ago I purchased a more verticle pistol grip stock for the 10/22 and have found it much more comfortable to shoot for long periods of time.

I learned from shooting squeaks the typical rifle pistol grip is very uncomfortable. Years ago I purchased a more verticle pistol grip stock for the 10/22 and have found it much more comfortable to shoot for long periods of time.

Many contend that the straight grips like the Win 94 carbine and English Doubles align the hands better for fast, natural (or instinctive) pointing; the more vertical straight and pistol grip provides better control for precision shooting. I have found this to be the case with my shooting.

I picked up a 1st gen RPR chambered in .243 on a Christmas clearance last year. It's been a Sub .5 MOA rifle since the first time I had it on the range. I agree, they are pretty darn easy to get behind and put rounds down range.

I picked up a 300 WM that was is an AI AX chassis and I was not fan. It just felt like I couldn't get the grip comfortable enough to relax.

That said, I didn't give it a whole lot of use.

I do have the vertical grip on my Game Scout though.

The right design in an alloy chassis will always be a better shooter than ordinary timber stocks and cheap synthetics .
They are more rigid and don't move with weather and moisture changes .
I have a rifle that has a synthetic pillar bedded stock and an alloy chassis . As soon as I move back to the synthetic stock it looses quite a bit of accuracy .
Nothing beats rigidity and weight . Alloy chassis stocks will get more popular for prone shooting behind a bi-pod at longer ranges . I still like to use a nice walnut stock for a stalking rifle especially in cold weather .
My chassis has wood grips , wood cheek rest cover and wood carry handle to make it more comfortable to use in cold weather . I prefer a pistol grip stock for prone shooting probably because of my Military service I am familiar with it .
I don't like two piece chassis that has a join of some kind near the recoil lug area or just in front of it. I like the chassis to be one solid piece from the bi-pod connection to behind the action . Just my personal preference .

Chasis systems are quite expensive to produce compared to the commercially produced wood, laminate, and quality synthetic stocks and there's enough difference in personal tastes I think that they will all be around for as long as we have firearms.

Unless you've spent most of your time starting out with a tactical rifle the odds are they'll never be as comfortable for you as the more traditional stocks and that tends to really set us up for life.

The ergonomic benefit of a pistol grip such as on the AR or AK platform rifles has a whole lot more to do with carrying them in the field rather than shooting comfort or accuracy in spite of a lot of the hype that's out there today.

They will not dominate for those that will not stick with them. I bought a MPA chassis last year and have about 1200 rounds down range behind it. At first it was very odd feeling, but as time has gone on I have become more familiar and comfortable with it. I now prefer it over my A2 stocks. Phil Cashin, owner of MPA has come out with a very friendly and comfortable grip on the 2017 stocks. I do not own one of the grips but they can be purchased separately. It's like most things if have to give it some time, but I do understand that they are not for everyone.

I think you are on to something if you spend enough time behind it to get comfortable you will be good to go. It's all about comfort. I shoot better with a chassis than normal stock but that what I shoot most of so I feel good with it.

I shot a mates Accuracy International plus some other chassis systems here in Australia and found that in a rapid fire match they were slow and most were heavy, but were accurate,we tried mounting a rem700 barreled action in 308win in one,that was only shooting about 1moa in it's original stock, and groups dropped to 5/8 with the same ammo in an AI stock, I think because the bedding was better and the alloy chassis reduced the vibration it shot better, I shoot in the odd precision rifle match here in OZ, here we have a variant called precision service rifle, and I much prefer my McMillian A3A5.gun) and although the new tikka t3A1's are just hitting our shops I won't bother,,,,,PLUS I think with our gun laws,they might soon be banned as they hate anything with an ar15 look and folding stock

Attachments

• 20170222_191908.jpg
    20170222_191908.jpg
    446.4 KB · Views: 299
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.