Wife bought me a new Savage!!

Lets consider energy flbs. In states where legal for 22 CF those whom use them for deer defend them adamantly . While a hunting buddy swears by his 243 & the Barnes 85gr TSX,. Takes mature muley's each season . Then those who like the 25 cal's also defend them as pure deer killers. There's me here in SW Colorado taking deer with my 6.5 & the Sierra 120 & elk with the Barnes 120 TSX. The 270 fans say the 130gr & others the 150 gr. The 7mm fans talk 160 & 175 gr. 3o cal shooters praise the 180gr. It keeps going up in cal & bullet weight into the 338 & 300gr bullets. Just what is enough.
The lighter bullets like the 6.5 120's shoot faster so as to be less affected by the wind. Barnes & their 120gr TSX & TTSX with good BC"S have for me put elk down soundly each season. Never failed me once. Not to mention the Barnes 6.5 127 gr LRX. My own range is good to 350 yds. I can expand that to 550yds when shooting over a ridge to the hill side beyond. I shoot these ranges regularly. My 120gr 6.5 bullets shoot to these ranges & get their right now. So how often do you get a shot past 200yds. The longest shot I have made on an elk was 347yds & about 350 on a deer. Many of you mention pigs which I don't have here. Since the Barnes 120gr TSX has always given me complete penetration on elk why would that bullet not be more than ample for pigs? Not all shots at game are at long range. I have taken numerous deer & elk at ranges from 60 to 150yds. Off hand shooting required. Many hunters I have observed can shoot great off a bench but are severely challenged to make an accurate 100yd shot off hand.

Lets consider energy flbs. In states where legal for 22 CF those whom use them for deer defend them adamantly . While a hunting buddy swears by his 243 & the Barnes 85gr TSX,. Takes mature muley's each season . Then those who like the 25 cal's also defend them as pure deer killers. There's me here in SW Colorado taking deer with my 6.5 & the Sierra 120 & elk with the Barnes 120 TSX. The 270 fans say the 130gr & others the 150 gr. The 7mm fans talk 160 & 175 gr. 3o cal shooters praise the 180gr. It keeps going up in cal & bullet weight into the 338 & 300gr bullets. Just what is enough.
The lighter bullets like the 6.5 120's shoot faster so as to be less affected by the wind. Barnes & their 120gr TSX & TTSX with good BC"S have for me put elk down soundly each season. Never failed me once. Not to mention the Barnes 6.5 127 gr LRX. My own range is good to 350 yds. I can expand that to 550yds when shooting over a ridge to the hill side beyond. I shoot these ranges regularly. My 120gr 6.5 bullets shoot to these ranges & get their right now. So how often do you get a shot past 200yds. The longest shot I have made on an elk was 347yds & about 350 on a deer. Many of you mention pigs which I don't have here. Since the Barnes 120gr TSX has always given me complete penetration on elk why would that bullet not be more than ample for pigs? Not all shots at game are at long range. I have taken numerous deer & elk at ranges from 60 to 150yds. Off hand shooting required. Many hunters I have observed can shoot great off a bench but are severely challenged to make an accurate 100yd shot off hand.
Hespco I take at least 2 animals a year at ranges between 400 to 500 yrds. I pride myself in ethical clean kills. This is why I am asking so many questions on yalls experiences with the 6.5 creedmoor pills. I thank you for your input and suggestions.

For posters benefit and mine, Could you guys that shoot the ELD match bullets for hunting (which is designed to be a target bullet ) instead of the ELDx (which is designed for hunting)?

How does in your experiences with each bullet perform on game?
Thanks
By the way I am currently using 143g ELDx but have only taken one animal (small buck) with it as of yet. First season with the 6.5 cm

Then you should pick codyadams brain on the subject. He wrote a pretty neat thread on the 147gr ELDM and is using a 140gr Berger.

Yup. I had less than stellar performance with the 147 eld-m, mainly inconsistency. However, that doesnt meat the 140 eld-m wouldn't work. I cannot say, I didn't try it. The jacket may be different enough to change the dynamic. I ran the 147 through the paces pretty well I felt, including a 6x6 bull elk at over 800 yds, a cow elk at over 700 yds, a pronghorn buck at 850, and another pronghorn buck at 980 yds. Also with a shot or two under 200 yds, I would have tested the limits of any bullet. Total it was something like 14 critters killed with them this last season, mostly pronghorn with a couple mule deer and elk. To me, the 147 just didn't perform as well as the 140 Berger on game. Accuracy and trajectory were phenomenal however, I was really wanting to see better results.

WOW~! you better take care of her!!! I use the 140 gr Hunting VLD w/ H4350 Good anything round! Enjoy! Also like you I'm a 308 man; in that i use the IMr8208XBR and the 198 Hunting VLD.
I don't want to hear these Arkansas stories where yo' daddy is yo' uncle, too. If yo' momma and daddy get divorced, do that mean they ain't brother and sister anymore ? LMAO

The lighter bullets pretty much never do better with wind drift. They drop a little less, but we're talkin 11 inches difference at 600 yards, and only 5" at 400. At 400 to 600 yds, you have to hold over or dial with either of them, so 5 more clicks at 400 or 8 more clicks at 600 don't mean much. But, the 5-11 inches less of drop at 400-600 in trade off for more wind drift and less energy on target may be worth it for some people.

As far as wind drift, which is generally more important than drop for longer range shooting, because wind is the part your guessing, where as distance is exactly quantifiable by a rangefinder, the heavier high bc bullets will do better. You also have significantly more energy with the heavier bullets for hunting. Like 360 ft.lbs more at 400 and over 400 ft.lbs more at 600. By 600 yards the 100 grain bullet drops under 1000 ft.lbs of energy.

If your hunting deer and hogs, I wouldn't recommend going lighter than 130 with a lead core bullet. A mono, that is something else I won't go into ha ha. If your hunting rock chucks, prarie dogs, coyotes or other varmints and want the best sub 400 yard trajectory with the least holdover and most explosiveness, that is where the lighter bullets work better.

View attachment 129575 View attachment 129576

I dont have experience with the 147 eld so ill have to take Codyadams word for it. He put a lot of work in documenting his results and I thank him for that. I didnt use them last year for that reason.The 140 eld-m has been a different critter for me. We've taken deer and bear both with the 140 eld-m/amax and it's been a pretty devastating bullet. Generally we see a 6.5mm entry, bullet sheds a good share of its weight going through the vitals then has a golf ball sized exit going out the back side. If you encounter bone chances are there will be no pass through, but it has plenty to make it through the front shoulder and decimate the lung area. It's my go to bullet and I doubt I'll be changing any time soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.