Wife bought me a new Savage!!

Hornady most likely downloaded their ammo in case it was shot in an AR10. Common practice with ammo manufacturers. They've done that with 308 win and 30-06 as examples.

2800 is easily feasible with a 140 and a few different powders. RL-26 will take you just north of 3000.

Now normally I pick heavy for caliber bullets but in the case of the 6.5mm I'm reminded of Steve Timms, Chub Eastman, and Matt Smith using 120gr BT's and Matt using 100gr BT's in 6.5-280 AI and 6.5-06 AI to take big bull elk and Chub taking moose in Alaska. Not something I would feel comfortable doing, but those guys have killed more game then I will ever even come close to harvesting. Carry on, I'll make more popcorn :)

Now normally I pick heavy for caliber bullets but in the case of the 6.5mm I'm reminded of Steve Timms, Chub Eastman, and Matt Smith using 120gr BT's and Matt using 100gr BT's in 6.5-280 AI and 6.5-06 AI to take big bull elk and Chub taking moose in Alaska. Not something I would feel comfortable doing, but those guys have killed more game then I will ever even come close to harvesting. Carry on, I'll make more popcorn :)
Ha ha right.

To add to the 6.5 thing, the 6.5x55 has taken ridiculous amounts of moose using 160 round nose bullets, for much much longer than the creed or nearly any other 6.5 has been around ha ha.

Ha ha right.

To add to the 6.5 thing, the 6.5x55 has taken ridiculous amounts of moose using 160 round nose bullets, for much much longer than the creed or nearly any other 6.5 has been around ha ha.
yup although my understanding is the moose over there more like the size of our elk. Which really shocks me about those guys shooting at really big bulls, and Canadian and Alaskan moose with those lighter Ballistic Tips. Me I think I'll stick to the 140gr bullets. But realistically I've yet to shoot farther than 125 yards at big game. I'm so out of shape I don't want to walk much farther to clean them and pack them out lol.

Hornady 140gr ELD with 42gr H4350 will get you where you need to be. RL16 will get you about 75 fps increase but with the B.C of the 140s that extra 75fps isn't even a factor.

You didn't say if your wife has a sister.

Oops, I just read several pages I had not read previously. Sorry to repeat this.

Last edited:
Wow!! I knew the 6.5 creedmoor was versatile but the amount of data yall have given is a lot to consume. I thank you all so much. Have any of yall had luck with the nosler spbt in 130? The reason I'm asking is my daughter bought me a box of 100.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.