Wife bought me a new Savage!!

I'm running 143g ELDx on top of RL16 and am real happy.
RL 16 and H 4350 are the most temp stable with the 16 having an edge in fps

Congrats!
My wife just bought me a Sig P365 and once the house remodel is done I get a bigger gun safe and one more gun to add to it !
Keep them happy boys,
Happy Wife Happy life!!
Congrats on the new sidearm flat bow. 100% truth, Happy Wife Happy Life.

Congratulations on your new Savage trophy 1000. If you're in the need of extra magazines I hope you have better luck than me finding them. Just bought a new Savage 10 ba stealth evolution in 6.5 and can't find extra magazines to purchase anywhere.
Your Stealth should be able to use AICS magazines. These are readily available many places. Send me a pic of your mag as I had a Stealth I sold and may have some extra mags.

The lighter bullets pretty much never do better with wind drift. They drop a little less, but we're talkin 11 inches difference at 600 yards, and only 5" at 400. At 400 to 600 yds, you have to hold over or dial with either of them, so 5 more clicks at 400 or 8 more clicks at 600 don't mean much. But, the 5-11 inches less of drop at 400-600 in trade off for more wind drift and less energy on target may be worth it for some people.

As far as wind drift, which is generally more important than drop for longer range shooting, because wind is the part your guessing, where as distance is exactly quantifiable by a rangefinder, the heavier high bc bullets will do better. You also have significantly more energy with the heavier bullets for hunting. Like 360 ft.lbs more at 400 and over 400 ft.lbs more at 600. By 600 yards the 100 grain bullet drops under 1000 ft.lbs of energy.

If your hunting deer and hogs, I wouldn't recommend going lighter than 130 with a lead core bullet. A mono, that is something else I won't go into ha ha. If your hunting rock chucks, prarie dogs, coyotes or other varmints and want the best sub 400 yard trajectory with the least holdover and most explosiveness, that is where the lighter bullets work better.

View attachment 129575 View attachment 129576
There is pretty much no advantage going with a light bullet. All my stuff is heavy for caliber or as heavy as twist rate allows.

There is pretty much no advantage going with a light bullet. All my stuff is heavy for caliber or as heavy as twist rate allows.
The only advantage I have ever found is for sub 400 yard coyote hunting. Many times you don't have time to range and dial, you just have to estimate range and take the shot. At sub 400 wind is not a huge deal usually, but being able to aim on fur and send a round within 10 seconds is, so my 22-250 shot 40 grain v-max's at 4150 fps for a while. I zeroed at 350 yards, and it was within 4" above or below of POA out to 400 yards, a laser like that was deadly on coyotes.

Shooting prarie dogs outside 400 though was much more challenging. Wind blew that poor little bullet all over the place and if there was any at all, made hits at 400-600 yards completely inconsistent, and more luck than anything. Past 600 just wasn't very practical for it, even in light winds. That is why I am rebarreling to a tight twist 22-250 AI :)

The only advantage I have ever found is for sub 400 yard coyote hunting. Many times you don't have time to range and dial, you just have to estimate range and take the shot. At sub 400 wind is not a huge deal usually, but being able to aim on fur and send a round within 10 seconds is, so my 22-250 shot 40 grain v-max's at 4150 fps for a while. I zeroed at 350 yards, and it was within 4" above or below of POA out to 400 yards, a laser like that was deadly on coyotes.

Shooting prarie dogs outside 400 though was much more challenging. Wind blew that poor little bullet all over the place and if there was any at all, made hits at 400-600 yards completely inconsistent, and more luck than anything. Past 600 just wasn't very practical for it, even in light winds. That is why I am rebarreling to a tight twist 22-250 AI :)
Shoot the 95 smk. That's what my father shoots out of his Ackley at 3200 fps. It's a lazer!

Shoot the 95 smk. That's what my father shoots out of his Ackley at 3200 fps. It's a lazer!
In my .260 AI I used the 85 grain sierra varminter for fireforming, with a light load it was still close to 3300 with varget, it was explosive, but I only got 3 or 4 shots before I had to let it cool down, after that the bullets would start coming apart in flight ha ha!!

Yep, try both 143 &147 Hornady ELD match good chance you won't want to reload 6.5 CM.

My came out one hole with both

Thank you sir for the knowledge.
I purchased the same rifle recently and I found that H4350 works best for me . Superformance with the 143 gr.works good too and I've got 9 pounds of this stuff so I'm going to play with this for a bit . By the way , I haven't tried 160 grainers but I I kind've think that's a bit heavy .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.