target rifles for me and wife ?

Nuclear Worker

We are looking at building target rifles to sharpen our shooting skills. I currently shoot a 6.5x284 and she shoots a Tika 3006for hunting. Want to build target specific rifles .We have a 600 yard range close to home when we retire next year would like to do some travel to places with longer ranges .Fairly new to reloading but plan on doing for this. Would like some suggestions on what you would build if you could for 600 and beyond. Ideally we would shoot the same caliber. So let's see what you would build.

For a target gun a 6BR would be hard to beat, I have a buddy that I shoot with that built one for his granddaughter and it is stupid accurate. He went with a 27" barrel and it has zero recoil and with a can it sounds like an air gun, he has shot out to 1500 with it. The up side is good barrel life and with such a small case, a pound of powder goes a long way and he said it was the easiest gun he has ever worked a load up for.

6 dasher. Great on targets and I also like to hunt with my dasher for whitetail.

Since your fairly new to reloading, I'd probably start with something easy to deal with and find components for. 6mm creed would probably be my top pick. As long as you don't get the barrel hot they'll last over 2000 rounds. The type of target shooting will also depend on what cartridge you want. 6 br, 6 dasher, 6 bra, are all good target rounds as well.

I have zero experience with any of the above listed, so take for what it's worth. My recommendations would be a 308 win.

Great barrel life for a target rifle which is important unless you are going to swap yourself in which case it's moot (I have recently done a few in my garage and it is addicting). Recommend one of the many switch barrel options if so inclined.

Relatively easy to load for and in " the other than new normal conditions" easy to find quality components or match grade factory ammo.

I have zero experience with any of the above listed, so take for what it's worth. My recommendations would be a 308 win.

Great barrel life for a target rifle which is important unless you are going to swap yourself in which case it's moot (I have recently done a few in my garage and it is addicting). Recommend one of the many switch barrel options if so inclined.

Relatively easy to load for and in " the other than new normal conditions" easy to find quality components or match grade factory ammo.
Yup!

I decided to build a .223 Rem for this specific reason...finding decent components took about 5 minutes (dies, Lapua brass, Sierra TMKs). Though, I did already have the powder and primers.

I have been considering the same. Saw one on here that I almost pulled the trigger on.

OP...This may be THE ticket...and cheap too...

So many options for 1k or less.

I have a budget build on a savage target action in 6 dasher. I wish I had went with a 6.5 and 156s for the wind but the little dasher is a lot of fun, easy to load for and NO recoil.

Like I said, so many options for 1k. With heavies a 223 will get it done as will any bigger faster 22.

Same with the 6 and 6.5 rounds, anything around creed size will get you there and are again easy to load. Up from there would be a 260 rem or 284 sized case.

Next up and a little more horsepower would be the short mags from sherman, saum or wsm. These in 6.5, 7 or 30 will get you to 1k with authority and beyond.

Lastly, don't discount the .257, blackjack, Berger and a few others making heavy high bc bullets for the ole quarter bore.

I'm building a 7 saum in a hunting rifle and fully intend to take if to 1k.

I have been considering the same. Saw one on here that I almost pulled the trigger on.

OP...This may be THE ticket...and cheap too...
Beautiful thing about it, is that in .223 many quality components are available, as there are a lot of .223 loaders out there making stuff as cheap as possible for the AR- the expensive brass gets overlooked in those applications, as do the heavy for caliber pills. That was perfectly fine with me! And using a Remage barrel from Criterion that matches the Remage 6.5x47 that will share the action with this .223, it'll be almost an identical setup (switch the barrel, switch the bolt, switch the magazine).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts