Why won’t my bolt close?

If you are not using a true neck only sizing die that makes no contact with body of cartridge You are likely inadvertently partially sizing body this is increasing case head to datum. Check by measuring as fired with primer removed vs neck sized .
Redding neck sizing die. Maybe they built it wrong, not likely though.

After fired case is extracted does there appear to be lines in the case running up the length of the case equal distance apart. If so, the chamber has been reamed and chatter has occurred. A high pitched squeal while the reamer is cutting is chatter which produces those "lines" and prevents case from chambering unless full length sized. Possibly not your problem, but is possible.
No , cases look fine.

Individual guns may require different processes to function and shoot well. Based on your comments I think you may have to FL size your brass more frequently than other brass in your other rifles. Maybe the incredible 6.5 isn't as easy to load for as other more common and mundane cartridges.
How do you get consistent results by FL forming every time? You now have a case that is to SAMI spec but not a case that fits your chamber.
I am old and have been loading for over 45 years. I only FL size case that I shoot in my AR platform rifles. Neck size everything else. I shoot 22-250, 243, 25-06, 308, 30-06, 300 WM, 300 RUM and 338 Edge. Some are custom barrels but most are factory barrels. I do measure after 2-3 firings and trim if necessary. I don't load for any rifles other than my own. If I did load for any other rifle I would start out FL sizing and then build the bullet for that rifle.
That is pretty much my process as well. I only asked because I have never owned a Bergara until now. All my others are custom or semi custom on a Remington 700 platform. And have never ran into this. Thought it could be a Bergara issue.

Tis the life of reloading brother. Things happen all the time that are weird and make u question your techniques. There is only really two simple things that can be occurring here. Either your brass has grown to long which means u need to bump the shoulder or the web/body has expanded to much to chamber. Either of which can be fixed with FL sizing. The one truth we have in reloading is simply what the target and brass tell us. They both talk to us at different times and at this point it's the brass saying it needs more attention than a neck die! Good luck brother

Also since it's a bergara I will tell u this none of my processed brass for any of my creedmoors will fit my buddies bergara. They seem to have a very tight chamber. Just went thru this Sunday trying to help him out as he is having brass issues also.

Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here's the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don't really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!
The major trend in reloading is to full length resize with a small shoulder bump of 2:thou or less with a bushing die to control bringing down the fired neck up to 5 thou at a time to get to the desired neck size.

If the case body is swelling a little or the shoulder is pushing forward a little you will have trouble chambering cases. In a mass produced rifle like a B14 the chamber likely is allowing some case growth likely in the shoulder.

A FL resize with a shoulder bump will ensure your cases always feed.

To the OP: Take a fired piece of brass before you do anything and see if it will chamber. If this fired, untouched brass will chamber then something in your process is causing the problem. Process the brass one step at a time and carefully measure the brass after each step. Try it in the chamber after every step until you find that the bolt will not close. This is the step that is causing the issue. Assess the process and devise a plan of action. Could be that when you neck size the die is pulling the shoulder out a bit. If the brass is fully fire-formed any outward movement of the shoulder would cause an issue.

Im shooting a Bergara B14 HMR in the dreaded 6.5 C M. Load is 143 ELDx, 41.5 gr. H4350 CCI BR2 primers, Hornady cases. Seated .015 off the lands. Here's the problem if I neck size a fire formed case the bolt will not close on about half of the rounds. I neck size everything except 223 and have never ran into this. Any ideas, suggestions. Don't really want to FL size if I can keep from it. Thanks!
I used to neck only size until I started having your problem. then I started setting my FL sizing dies to 0.001" to 0.002" below the length of the chamber and I have yet to have a problem ever again with my target, hunting and practice loads. if you set your FL sizer to your chamber -0.002" you will save your brass a lot of stress and your gun a fair amount of wear and you lots of stress and frustration.

whidden makes a great die that full length sizes but you can set the bump you want. I use it on all my loads. Great accuracy and you should have no issues with bolt closure
Ditto. I love the Whidden sizing dies. I have the FL version. Bump the shoulders .002-.003 and use a bushing for the necks that's .002 smaller than a loaded round.

Yes
I'm a long time neck sizer myself in many calibers, generally with the Lee collet neck sizing dies. I'm curious if you guys feel that an effective and consistent shoulder bump can be achieved using my existing traditional Lee, RCBS, or Hornady FL dies? Sure, I could buy new "bump dies" all around, but would prefer not to. :) Thoughts?
Yes, you can bump the shoulders with standard FL resizing dies. You will need a brass shoulder measuring tool like the ones made by Whidden Gun Works. They attach to your calipers. You'll need to know where you are starting from on the shoulders in order to begin the shoulder bumping process. Then once your resize and shoulder bump is made, you'll need to measure to see what your bump is. I go .002 shoulder bump for my bolt guns and .005-.006 for my AR's. Go to You Tube and search Whidden Gun Works Resizing Video. It goes into easily understandable detail on setting a FL resizing die for proper shoulder bump. You can do it but I bet ya end up buying a FL shoulder bump die that takes collets for neck tension adjustment. I'm done forever with
"Expander Balls" in my sizing dies. Even the best "smoothest on the planet" expander balls can ruin concentricity for most reloaders if you are not meticulous about inside and outside neck lubrication. My brass run out after sizing without the expander ball (and being meticulous about neck tension) is .001 or less.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.