Why the 6.5 caliber?

It's the flock mentality, people are like sheep one goes all go, no one wants to miss out on the "latest greatest" thing

I am a 6.5 cm owner. I also own 2 6.5 x 55's and a 6.5 x 54 with another one of those on graph paper for planning. Are any of these cartridges the best? I am sure that many other cartridges and calibers are stronger in some area of consideration. I like the moderate 6.5's and the 7 x 57 because they remind us that a lot of performance on game can be had without magnum velocities, powder charges, muzzle blast, and recoil. The .300 Savage fit in there as well. You can out shoot these cartridges with more powder but not by much without more bang, more $$, more brass wear and tear, more kick. A rifleman with one of these calibers can do a lot of good work from near to far without a lot of fuss. Good bullets going 2700 to 2800 fps get the job done without chopping up a lot of venison. It is easy to shoot them well. I have a 30'06, a 35 Whelen and find them most satisfying at about the same velocity with a good bullet.
Smaller calibers struggle to shoot bullets heavy enough for elk and moose, more powerful cartridges pre-chew the venison. I like moderate cartridges that are easy to shoot and still get the job done with good bullet placement and some woodsmanship. Precision can be had with any of these calibers. Such precision is not necessary to shoot game at moderate distances, but it sure is comforting. If I don't do my part, which grows more frequent as the years roll by, a sub-moa rifle compensates for some of my short-comings. I may not shoot enough to wear out a barrel, but maybe my grandson will still be shooting my 6.5's or the Whelen when I have gotten to the point where I have to sit on the porch. Then again, my 6.5 swede will probably still be on duty in my hands. Get closer, shoot well, and enjoy the firearm whatever it may be. Regards

Is the 6.5 X 54 you mentioned the Mannlicher-Shoenauer round ? I have one of those in the old 1903 carbine; full-length stock & double set triggers. It's a beautiful rifle, and a nice cartridge with modest performance. My bore slugs .2655", as do a lot of the old M-S's, so it's a trick to find bullets of the correct diameter. What are you using ?

I've hunted with mostly 6.5 for more than 10 years. I shoot them and smaller calibers more accurately and consistently than heavier recoiling guns. I cant stand breaks on a hunting rifle. I have never looked at a wound channel from my 6.5 and thought it needed a bigger caliber.

Is the 6.5 X 54 you mentioned the Mannlicher-Shoenauer round ? I have one of those in the old 1903 carbine; full-length stock & double set triggers. It's a beautiful rifle, and a nice cartridge with modest performance. My bore slugs .2655", as do a lot of the old M-S's, so it's a trick to find bullets of the correct diameter. What are you using ?
My 6.5 x 54 was bought from the estate of a gun nut. The action is a 1910 and it has a modern barrel on it. I also have a Breda action my dad bought in the 50's and never did anything with it. It is mine now and since the 6.5 x 54 is the "newest thing" I thought I would try to use it to build a carbine with it. New barrel will be installed. I have been stalling on this project, but just bought an original stock that needs repair.
This I think I can accomplish and then have the action barreled(I believe for the first time), and put it into service.

6.5 Got my attention in an ar-15... I bought a 6.5 Grendel with a Satern barrel to my surprise they all just about went the same hole for a semi it shot like a bolt action.. when 6.5 Creedmoor came out I was on it.... I was looking at all the rifles that shot that 6.5 round. I was already fooling around with different 6.5 bullets with Grendel but the Grendel did not have enough to send it out with authority. The Creedmoor did it. THE TARGET I USE IN MEMBER PICTURE YOU SEE on the left IS 6.5 PRC a bigger punch more barrel life with a factory rifle.....AS YOU CAN SEE THEY FALL ALL IN THE SAME HOLE.... WHY FOOL WITH ....perfection.

Last edited:
It's the flock mentality, people are like sheep one goes all go, no one wants to miss out on the "latest greatest" thing
It seems to me that we have not recognized the good features of this caliber while the rest of the world has enjoyed it for over a century. It is an old great thing, but not here in the US. I have admired the 6.5 x 55 for many years. Hornady put together a good "package" for modern firearms. I am glad we caught up to the flock. Plenty of other good calibers out there and I use them, but the various 6.5's provide the things I like in a cartridge.
Good shooting Swamper

6.5 bullets vs 270,284,308. Why has the 6.5 taken off and if you believe the hype - taken over? I have been sucked into the hype with one 6.5 PRC with a second to follow. Is it just bullet type and availability? The 270 bullets just can't keep up because they don't exist yet? The 284 must be heavy for caliber like the 308 to compete with the 6.5? Why why why is the 6.5 the new "King"?
Just wondering....

I've hunted with mostly 6.5 for more than 10 years. I shoot them and smaller calibers more accurately and consistently than heavier recoiling guns. I cant stand breaks on a hunting rifle. I have never looked at a wound channel from my 6.5 and thought it needed a bigger caliber.
Your rifle sounds fantastic. What have you done to find appropriate bullets? I would love to find a set trigger for mine. The one on the sporter I have is two stage. It is crisp on the final release, but I am not used to the travel ahead of time. I like a seemingly modest cartridge with reliable results and comfortable shooting.

I already posted on this but here is a furthermore.... I bought a $340.00 Ruger predator in 6.5 Creedmoor because of all the hype on the internet and i didn't want to miss out. I am not a rich man but do have some rifle's 1,2,3, thousand range.it's the scope's that hurt my pocket. But that 300 hundred dollar rifle with changed stock, shoots just as good as the expensive ones. I am an old man I don't think my shooting has gotten better. That 6.5 bullet must have some magic in them and now I am kicking myself because I could have bought better scopes and crapper guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.