Why the 6.5 caliber?

Lots of times I hear or read of a bullet being judged as good because it smacked an animal off its feet or bad because an animal soaked up two or three rounds before it went down, and I think that is unfair. Once up in the north country I called in a large moose that weighed in the 1200 pound range. It was a beauty and I got him in broadside at about 40 yards. My first shot angled through his lungs and into his off shoulder. He snorted and walked about thirty yards and stopped. I put another into the same area at a different angle and he just stood there. Finally, he fell over and he was still breathing raggedly when I approached him so I put a finishing shot in his head. I was using a .375 H&H with 235 grain Barnes "X" bullets moving along at just under 3000 fps. You don't believe you can smack a half-ton animal off its feet with a half ounce of copper. None of the bullets exited and I found all of them perfectly mushroomed. The only time I have knocked animals off their feet, large or small, is when the bullet hit near the spine or brain, and they didn't have to be large bullets they just had to have good penetration. All that being said, I generally choose large calibers for large animals because I believe the percentages are better, as long as I can withstand the recoil. But someday if I have to shoot at moose and elk with a .270 or 6.5 there are bullets available to make that a humane choice.

The 6.5's are popular for a combination of reasons, and in particular the Creedmoor.

Those reasons include (for the Creedmoor), high BC bullets, great selection of factory ammo, proven accuracy of factory rifles, relatively inexpensive ammo.

I've handloaded for a 6.5-06AI for years and love the caliber.

Lots of times I hear or read of a bullet being judged as good because it smacked an animal off its feet or bad because an animal soaked up two or three rounds before it went down, and I think that is unfair. Once up in the north country I called in a large moose that weighed in the 1200 pound range. It was a beauty and I got him in broadside at about 40 yards. My first shot angled through his lungs and into his off shoulder. He snorted and walked about thirty yards and stopped. I put another into the same area at a different angle and he just stood there. Finally, he fell over and he was still breathing raggedly when I approached him so I put a finishing shot in his head. I was using a .375 H&H with 235 grain Barnes "X" bullets moving along at just under 3000 fps. You don't believe you can smack a half-ton animal off its feet with a half ounce of copper. None of the bullets exited and I found all of them perfectly mushroomed. The only time I have knocked animals off their feet, large or small, is when the bullet hit near the spine or brain, and they didn't have to be large bullets they just had to have good penetration. All that being said, I generally choose large calibers for large animals because I believe the percentages are better, as long as I can withstand the recoil. But someday if I have to shoot at moose and elk with a .270 or 6.5 there are bullets available to make that a humane choice.
I agree but it's seems as bullet quality improves people automatically start dropping in caliber size as that's all I need

Magic, plain and simple. What's funny to me is I've never cared for magic acts , but I have a 6.5 grendel and creed .
Seriously, I think it's just a long skinny bullet in the heavier weights anyway, and there are several ways tho shoot that bullet ranging from downright mild to high plains lasers.

I find it hard to hate on a company(hornady) that is making good quality factory ammo available. So yeah they hyped the creedmoor to make money. That's America. But they spent a lot of money and capital investment in doing this. Hell yeah I'm glad they have been successful. In a time where companies like Remington crapped the bed years ago with the 260 glad to see someone got it right.

IMHO, .264/6.5MM is not the new king, as they have been around for a while. I have Carl Gustaf in 6.5x55 Swede and it has been around (designed in 1891) longer than our venerable .30-06 (designed 1906). The resurgence (renewed interest, esp. to new hunter/shooter) of .264/6.5MM, can be accredited to Hornaday's success with the 6.5 CM. Their success was not an overnight sensation as it took them ~ a decade before they got to where they are today. Their successful marketing strategy and execution, and collaborative efforts/partnership and support with other rifle/shooting industries is exemplary and envy to their competitors.

In the end, it's all about personal choice and preference.

I also have a 6.5 CM and .264 WM (awaiting headspacing).
I have a 6.5 Swede, a 6.5 Grendel and a 6.5 Creedmore. I like them all for their purpose, but I haven't forgotten my old 243 Winchester either.

As mentioned time and time again, it's special because the industry jumped in bed with it completely and unequivocally. The 264 failed because they were 1:12 twist and 1:10 twist making them very ho hum. But now, fast twist barrels, high BC bullets, cheap ammo, every manufacturer has a 6.5 Creedmoor. Here in California we have to shoot copper so my son and I sighted in the Creedmoors with Federal 130 grain TSX. Out of a Ruger American with 22" barrel we get 2780 fps with a BC of .365. This turns the 6.5 into a pretty standard performer. I just stuck with my 257 Roberts and my daughter her 7mm-08 because all 3 rifles are all about equal now. It's not until you get the 143, 147 and 156s and actually shoot out past 500 yds where you can really see the advantages. We have a self governed limit on these little California blacktail of 500 yds. So which ever caliber you shoot best will all suffice. Now if you want to ring steel at 1000 yds, the 6.5's really shine! They're just built for it. I can still outshoot my son's 6.5 with my 257 Roberts but only because of trigger time and wind knowledge. There will come a day where he will outscore me on the range I'm sure of that. Hopefully by then I have a 1:7 twist on my Roberts and am shooting all the new high BC bullets available?! Wishful thinking...

Last edited:
So I forgot to add, I do feel like the 6.5's are the new kings of American hunters, but if the manufacturers want to enhance sales of 243 257 and 277 calibers all the have to do is bless them with the Creedmoor blueprint. Fast twist barrels, high BC bullets and cheap components. Voila! Then you will see 100k new hunters talking how they knocked over bulls with their 257 AI or 25-06 at 600 yds with a 131 blackjack. The pendulum always swings back and fourth. In the end us consumers all get to enjoy the technology and innovation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.