Why the 6.5 caliber?

I like to read Cartridge Comparison Handbook by Sniper Country. It seems to me the selection of cartridge is all about application. Their research is based on comparison not which cartridge is better. Which for me goes back to application.

No o e has mentioned that with the 6.5 c. Came relatively inexpensive match quality ammo, so that non handloaders could buy a gun and ammo and start competing. If i count my time i cant reload 6.5 cm cheaper than buying. Ballistically 260, 6.5 x 55, 264, 26 nos , 6.5 prc etc all are superior! But require handloading for comp. Light recoild is appreciated by many, esp in a match where u fire 100 rds or more. No wonder many are going to 6 cm.

Not saying anything negative as I have a 6.5CM and it's a lot of fun on paper, but the first reason for popularity is listed below. And I agree with some other posts already, therefore my second comment;
#1 reason for me is tactical scopes at an affordable price. If all we had available to the average consumer / HUNTER was the old VX III in a 3x10x50, I doubt a high BC for a 1000 yard shot would be as marketable.
2) factory twist rate. If 270 was offered / promoted in a 1:8 and was promoted as highly as the Creedmoor, I'd venture to say it would out sale the 6.5. Same thing for .257. If you could get a 1:8 25-06 on the shelf, and Berger made a 130 Classic Hunter in .257, it would be equally or more popular as a hunting round.

The new age hunter (I am guilty also) now sits in a South Mississippi deer stand with a 6.5 and a tactical scope for no more than a 150-200yd shot max that can easily be done with a standard 270 and 10 power quality scope. But, we all look like snipers doing it which is probably something to laugh about honestly

No o e has mentioned that with the 6.5 c. Came relatively inexpensive match quality ammo, so that non handloaders could buy a gun and ammo and start competing. If i count my time i cant reload 6.5 cm cheaper than buying. Ballistically 260, 6.5 x 55, 264, 26 nos , 6.5 prc etc all are superior! But require handloading for comp. Light recoild is appreciated by many, esp in a match where u fire 100 rds or more. No wonder many are going to 6 cm.

I mentioned this a while ago on this thread but I completely agree. The availability of quality ammo at honestly cheap prices is able to feed all the hungry rifles out there. Thats whats driven the popularity sky high. Thats what people like to see, their ammo on every shelf from walmart to the local sportsman shop.

Not saying anything negative as I have a 6.5CM and it's a lot of fun on paper, but the first reason for popularity is listed below. And I agree with some other posts already, therefore my second comment;
#1 reason for me is tactical scopes at an affordable price. If all we had available to the average consumer / HUNTER was the old VX III in a 3x10x50, I doubt a high BC for a 1000 yard shot would be as marketable.
2) factory twist rate. If 270 was offered / promoted in a 1:8 and was promoted as highly as the Creedmoor, I'd venture to say it would out sale the 6.5. Same thing for .257. If you could get a 1:8 25-06 on the shelf, and Berger made a 130 Classic Hunter in .257, it would be equally or more popular as a hunting round.

The new age hunter (I am guilty also) now sits in a South Mississippi deer stand with a 6.5 and a tactical scope for no more than a 150-200yd shot max that can easily be done with a standard 270 and 10 power quality scope. But, we all look like snipers doing it which is probably something to laugh about honestly
I wholeheartedly agree with this as well as many of the other comments. Also, you are not alone sir. I have sat in many a tree stand with a "tactical" looking rifle. My favorite was shooting a whitetail with my M110 replica just to quiet my "You can't hunt with an AR" family members.

I can understand why 6.5 cals are so popular , but not the CM.
The 6.5 cals have been around for a long time in Europe for hunting and in 2 world wars.
But there are so many 6.5 cals that perform better than the CM, Like my Fav the .260rem also 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5-300 and 6.5x 47 too.
Here in Australia CM is so popular but with options like the .260 so much cheaper to reload I cant understand it , I resize .243w and 7 mm 08 brass for the 260 and the new brass for CM can cost you.
For hunting for years I used the .243w which unless you were going to the NT for Buffalo's or Victoria for Rusa deer it was all you needed for hogs and dogs.
But since 2010 the .260rem is my main go to hunting rifle and I cant see that ever changing.

I considered the 6.5 prc when I was looking for a rifle lighter than my 300 wm and further reaching than my 270 or 308. After looking at everything, I went 7 mag. I'm no heavy weight but if a 300 wm doesn't bother me I don't see how a 7 mag recoil will. The numbers between the two in similar rounds are insignificant in my mind.

I see no real reason other that marketing in order to sell more new stuff!! Nothing wrong with that !!! The .270 150 Grn Nosler LR has a G 1 BC of 625/G 7 BC of 317. the 170 grn. Berger in 270 has an even higher G 7 BC. The case capacity of the new 6.5 PRC is greater that the case capacity of the 6.5 Creedmore and approaches the case capacity of the .270 Win. The 6.5 X 284 has almost the same case capacity as the .270 Win. so . Compare .264 vs .277. 6.5mm 143 Grn with a G 7 BC of 315 vs .270 with a 150 grn. with a G7 BC of 0f 317. It seem they are trying tp make a .270 Win, without calling it a .270 Win!!! I have built an 8 twist heavy Barrell .270 Win, and in first testing show excellent 300 yard 1/3 moa groups with the 150 Grn Nosler Accubond LR. Much more testing to do in the spring.
There is a lot of truth to what your saying here ! I think it's not fashionable to tell the truth at times . Big thing you missed though is the 270 win is not short action ! What ever that means , very little to me.

I can understand why 6.5 cals are so popular , but not the CM....

But there are so many 6.5 cals that perform better than the CM, Like my Fav the .260rem also 6.5-284 Norma, 6.5-300 and 6.5x 47 too.

I can say, from personal experience, when I was picking my 6.5mm short action cartridge ten years ago that I picked the Creedmoor over the 260 and 6.5x47 almost entirely because of brass. In america at least, I have never seen 260 Rem brass on a shelf to this day and 6.5x47 is boutique and expensive cartridge. It's not out of my ability to form 260 brass but when Creedmoor is so readily available and cheap and I can load bullets longer (at least that was the case in 2010)....it's a no brainer to go with the Creedmoor regardless of the menial velocity improvement the 260 rem has.

I do really like my Creedmoor but I will admit it has lost much of its appeal with this influx of supporters who think it's the greatest thing ever and won't hear a word against it. It's quickly falling into the same category as Glock, Vortex, 270 Win, etc because of the supporters unfortunately and my 6.5 Creedmoor probably won't be a 6.5 Creedmoor once I shoot my barrel out next summer.

The other calibers you mentioned it's hard to make the comparison because they are not short action catridges. It's like saying the 338 Lapua is better than a 338 Federal....well duh, the 338 Federal is a necked up 308 Win and the Lapua is a dedicated Magnum. It's hardly a fair comparison.

Last edited:
I am a 6.5 cm owner. I also own 2 6.5 x 55's and a 6.5 x 54 with another one of those on graph paper for planning. Are any of these cartridges the best? I am sure that many other cartridges and calibers are stronger in some area of consideration. I like the moderate 6.5's and the 7 x 57 because they remind us that a lot of performance on game can be had without magnum velocities, powder charges, muzzle blast, and recoil. The .300 Savage fit in there as well. You can out shoot these cartridges with more powder but not by much without more bang, more $$, more brass wear and tear, more kick. A rifleman with one of these calibers can do a lot of good work from near to far without a lot of fuss. Good bullets going 2700 to 2800 fps get the job done without chopping up a lot of venison. It is easy to shoot them well. I have a 30'06, a 35 Whelen and find them most satisfying at about the same velocity with a good bullet.
Smaller calibers struggle to shoot bullets heavy enough for elk and moose, more powerful cartridges pre-chew the venison. I like moderate cartridges that are easy to shoot and still get the job done with good bullet placement and some woodsmanship. Precision can be had with any of these calibers. Such precision is not necessary to shoot game at moderate distances, but it sure is comforting. If I don't do my part, which grows more frequent as the years roll by, a sub-moa rifle compensates for some of my short-comings. I may not shoot enough to wear out a barrel, but maybe my grandson will still be shooting my 6.5's or the Whelen when I have gotten to the point where I have to sit on the porch. Then again, my 6.5 swede will probably still be on duty in my hands. Get closer, shoot well, and enjoy the firearm whatever it may be. Regards

I guess the weatherby 300 mag and rem ultra mag should be catching on with the long throats you can load 250 -275 gr bullets out longer. That should give some high BCs! Use a heavy barrel and stock and a brake and wallah! Light recoil and serious knockdown power.

Thought about getting a 6.5cm then changed my mind. Just not worth it for me. Saw a guy on yt shoot a bull elk with 6.5prc, about 4 times, still on its feet in video. Ya he smoked him. All the press of the ease of shooting long range accurately with minimal effort has made it popular. I'll stay with 7mm and 257.

I've been shooting 6.5 caliber since the late 60s....Rem 700 264WM and Browning 264 WM produced in 1959. Even with slow twist barrels, these old rifles just work! They Kill, Period! I now have two 6.5 CMs and a Cooper Backcountry 6.5x284. Love the 6.5! As many have already said, modern powders and bullets make the 6.5 even better.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.