Why Doesn't Berger make a Bonded Bullet??

When you shoot Bergers, you must pass up shots where heavy bone may be encountered. The fragile bullet may fragment on the bone and fail to penetrate to vitals. I shoot a bullet that will get through and reach the vitals. Simply means I will take a shot that should be avoided with Bergers. Over 60 years of hunting have made me somewhat opinionated, and I cannot apologize for that, lol. Dave.

When you shoot Bergers, you must pass up shots where heavy bone may be encountered. The fragile bullet may fragment on the bone and fail to penetrate to vitals. I shoot a bullet that will get through and reach the vitals. Simply means I will take a shot that should be avoided with Bergers. Over 60 years of hunting have made me somewhat opinionated, and I cannot apologize for that, lol. Dave.

Is this opinion OR from shooting multiple animals and species?

Because bonded bullets are usually less lethal at long range or lower impact velocity. Bonding a long range bullet is an oxymoron, a bonded bullet at a low impact velocity will be less lethal than its non bonded counterpart at the same range. the US consumers just want to see a pretty mushroom and high weight retention even if that's not the best thing for the situation

Just a follow up on my last post. This year I shot a Bull moose with a 210 LRAB from my 308 Norma Magnum, a deer with a 110 AB from my 257 'bee, and an Elk with the 142 LRAB from my 6.5x55AI. Shots were 100 yards for the deer 120 yards for the Moose, and 355 yards for the Elk. Deer and Moose were close to broadside, and both bullets exited. The Elk was quartering toward me, so I elected to shoot into the onside shoulder, a shot I would have passed had I been shooting a Berger. The LRAB penetrated heavy bone, devastated the lungs, and was recovered in the RR flank. Weighed 82 grains. I have had the privilege to live in a game rich area, with generous bag limits. Well over 100 animals have fallen to Nosler Partitions, and I consider them to be one of the best "hunting" bullets available. Today, we have many choices when it comes to bullets. Each hunter must make his/ her own decision as to what he/she will use when they go afield. I have made mine. Sorry for the long post, Dave.

Since Bergers have only been in use for a relatively short period of time, the question does not make sense. However, I have been accompanying a close friend who used Bergers, and who has recently decided to abandon their use, because of a couple of incidents where a stouter bullet would have been superior. One of these incidents involved a long exhausting tracking job (I was along) to recover a moose that had a large surface wound on the shoulder, without any part of the bullet reaching the vitals. Recovering this animal was a nightmare, and a bit of an eye-opener. Dave.

Used Berger for the first time, this year. 7mm08, 140 gr VLD. Early out, I got a shot at a sow, and took it because I was unsure about the bullet. Squeezed off. and she rolled over, but began to squirm and flip around. Directly, she got up and hit the woods. I walked down, and could hear a raspy breathing maybe 25 yards into the tree line. I backed off and waited. My JRT hit the trail, stuck his nose up, spun around and went rit to the hog. The bullet hit square on the side of the head, between the eye and ear, 3/4" down, but did not penetrate the skull. It deflected and traveled down through the neck and came out through the bottom of the chest, between chest and right shoulder. I have never had a bullet not penetrate the skull. I shot a boar at the same distance (100yds) last year with a 22 Mag,, and it penetrated the skull. That evening I shot another sow, at approx the same distance, and it looked like dynamite had blown up in her head. I have shot another sow and buck since then, with good results. Just a freak bullet/accident? I don't know.

Yeah, I misspelled "right", and this site will not let me edit it. Everytime I try to edit, It asks for me to log in again, and again, and again..........I have told the site admins about this issue, but it seems to be unfixable.

Because bonded bullets are usually less lethal at long range or lower impact velocity. Bonding a long range bullet is an oxymoron, a bonded bullet at a low impact velocity will be less lethal than its non bonded counterpart at the same range. the US consumers just want to see a pretty mushroom and high weight retention even if that's not the best thing for the situation

The Accubond LR has been tested and is rated to mushroom at 1,400FPS....how far away do you want to shoot an animal?

When does "Hunting" become "Shooting" or even a stunt?

Just a follow up on my last post. This year I shot a Bull moose with a 210 LRAB from my 308 Norma Magnum, a deer with a 110 AB from my 257 'bee, and an Elk with the 142 LRAB from my 6.5x55AI. Shots were 100 yards for the deer 120 yards for the Moose, and 355 yards for the Elk. Deer and Moose were close to broadside, and both bullets exited. The Elk was quartering toward me, so I elected to shoot into the onside shoulder, a shot I would have passed had I been shooting a Berger. The LRAB penetrated heavy bone, devastated the lungs, and was recovered in the RR flank. Weighed 82 grains. I have had the privilege to live in a game rich area, with generous bag limits. Well over 100 animals have fallen to Nosler Partitions, and I consider them to be one of the best "hunting" bullets available. Today, we have many choices when it comes to bullets. Each hunter must make his/ her own decision as to what he/she will use when they go afield. I have made mine. Sorry for the long post, Dave.

Dave I shot a huge Zebra at 180 yards with a 175gr ABLR. Even at that close range the bullet smashed the front shoulder, penetrated both lungs and was under the skin on far side. Recovered weight-perfect mushroom was 77gr.

I would like to see a pic of a mushroomed/intact Berger with that same shot.

Attachments

• Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 106
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.