Remington Sendero doesn't make the caliber I want...

I've read a lot of positive things about the Accumark. I've also read maybe 10 negative posts about them (all written by MudRunner). I think he got a lemon, but in general they are great rifles.

It might be easier to find a Sendero in 338 RUM. It's got more horsepower for the heavy bullets and can be loaded down pretty close to 338 win mag performance. Plus you'd have braggin rights over your buddy. 300 RUM is another good choice and very easy to find. I like the good old 338 win mag even though it's not the best choice for long range hunting. Great caliber for elk at moderate ranges though. I agree with some other posts here that you could build one without too much trouble. Find a shot out Sendero and rebarrel it, or buy a cheap 700 and build how you want it.

I've read a lot of positive things about the Accumark. I've also read maybe 10 negative posts about them (all written by MudRunner). I think he got a lemon, but in general they are great rifles.

It might be easier to find a Sendero in 338 RUM. It's got more horsepower for the heavy bullets and can be loaded down pretty close to 338 win mag performance. Plus you'd have braggin rights over your buddy. 300 RUM is another good choice and very easy to find. I like the good old 338 win mag even though it's not the best choice for long range hunting. Great caliber for elk at moderate ranges though. I agree with some other posts here that you could build one without too much trouble. Find a shot out Sendero and rebarrel it, or buy a cheap 700 and build how you want it.
There were several others on here who have had issues, as well. Not just me. I'm just a little more vocal about it than most. Because as much crap as Remington owners get about guns that people claim won't shoot, it's just a prime example to throw up that not everything more expensive is always worth what you paid for it.

Magnum action from PT&G, $628
Barrel from Krieger $375
HS Precision Stock $399
Prices vary, but let's say $500, to a good gunsmith for chambering, bedding and finish.
Total: $1900

Due your homework on a good smith and that $1900 will buy you a rifle likely to shoot very very well. Way better odds than a Sendero or any factory rifle. And it will be exactly what you want it to be.

Just saying...

-nosualc

Last edited:
Here is another approach: Buy a Sendaro in a 7mm or 30 cal and send the barreled action to Dan Pederson to have the barrel drilled, reamed and cut rifled to 338 win mag. If it was a 7 rem mag it would clean up perfectly. If it was a 300 win mag it would require a tiny setback. You would get the package you want for around $300-350.

Call Dan Pederson here: Welcome to Classic Barrel & Gunworks

or get the sendero , pull the barrel and sell it for 150 add a krieger/ bartlein 450 ( net cost 300)

If you like the Sendero, By one in a magnum caliber (Any belted case) and just re- barrel it.

Everything else will be just like you want and all it will cost is a barrel that will be better than the original and the smiths charges for chambering it in 338 WIN Mag. (Somewhere around 6 or 7 hundred dollars).

A trigger may be necessary, but you wont know that until you try the one that comes on it.

Sendero stocks are fine and the action will work without any mods.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.