how do i make the shot

tjonh2001

Here is the deal I shoot between 20 and 100 rounds a week of long range. I feel very comfdent with a 1 shot kill out to 800 yards on an animal. Here is my question. how do I get my drop data for another altitude and tep. I shoot at 2750 ft and roughly 30 degrees when hunting deer. I am going on a antilope hunt this year and will be hunting at 5000+ and the temp much warmer. When I made my other drop data I used exbal and shot the dfferent ranges. I know that you can get this for a palm but everytime that I put my info in my progam on my labtop its off.how do i Get a drop chart that works and I can trust for a 1 shot kill.

1. Take your existing bullet and velocity and BC that matches your drop chart and enter that into a good program such as Exbal or JBM for the conditions that you shot the drops in.

2. When you have a good match then change the elevation and temperature to what you predict you will hunting in and save that drop chart to your hard drive.

3. Now then take your "predicted" drop chart factors and change the elevation by 1000 feet and record the difference in drop at 1000 yards. Then add another 1000 feet to that and record the drop change (pay attention here- I SAID CHANGE) and then do it one more time.

4. Next go back to your original predicted conditions and instead of changing the elevation change the temperature by 10 degrees and once more record the change. Do this two more times and each time record the change.

5. Average the three "change" number for altitude to get the average change per 1000 ft elevation change in drop at 1000 yards and then do the same for temperature. What you now have is two numbers which are "correction factors" to your basic drop chart. Recognize that they are for 1000 yards and that if you only shoot 800 yards you will only need 80 % of the correction factor.

6. Add these factors to somewhere on your "predicted"drop chart and tape to your stock or laminate and carry in your pocket as you prefer.

After doing what I told you to do you should have numbers at the top of your drop chart that are about like mine (specific to my rifle bullet and velocity) which are:

Effects @1000 yards
10 Degrees F = 0.1 MOA of drop
1000 ft elevation = 0.2 MOA of drop

You have to remember which way each change is going.

I expect other people will tell you some other things and that is fine with me. I do what I do and that is what I do.

P.S.

If you make a good one shot kill at 800 yards, I will buy you a hamburger at Burger King. The wind in antelope country is something to contend with and it makes drop data look like child's play. The wind just drives me crazy.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.