Why Doesn't Berger make a Bonded Bullet??

Yes, so would I !!! ☺
Dave I shot a huge Zebra at 180 yards with a 175gr ABLR. Even at that close range the bullet smashed the front shoulder, penetrated both lungs and was under the skin on far side. Recovered weight-perfect mushroom was 77gr.

I would like to see a pic of a mushroomed/intact Berger with that same shot.

When Berger gets to be as big as some of the other bullet companies, maybe they will see fit to serve more different specialties in the bullet market. Right now, they seem to be happy to serve a narrow specialty. I think this is a good idea.

It's kinda like going to the doctor - one doesn't go to a dermatologist to have cardiac bypass surgery. That's not his specialty. If you go to a big clinic, they will have several specialties covered by a long list of doctors. If you go to a smaller clinic, they will have a couple of specialties represented by a handful of doctors. That's the way it works.

Berger is sticking to what they've chosen as their specialty, and they do it well. Maybe in the future this will change; maybe it won't. In the meantime, lots of other bullet companies, large and small, cover these other specialties. We have a lot of choices available already in the bonded bullet specialty.

Dave I shot a huge Zebra at 180 yards with a 175gr ABLR. Even at that close range the bullet smashed the front shoulder, penetrated both lungs and was under the skin on far side. Recovered weight-perfect mushroom was 77gr.

What does this prove? I thought those bonded bullets were supposed to have entrance and exit wounds for all this blood trailing?

All this talk comes down to whats the impact velocity you expect and what shot do you like to take? if you shoot at bone and or its going to be a high impact go bonded. If you shoot the ribs go Berger of if you want a tipped bullet SST.

Its pretty nuts to want to shoot a long range bullet if you expect your shots to be close, there is a better choice.

I will admit that for MYSELF, the only reason that I DID NOT choose Berger as a hunting bullet is because they aren't bonded. I am not posting this to start a debate on bonded vs non-bonded bullets, only on the reason why Berger hasn't done so.

I know that many or even most of you here a big proponents for Berger but like I said that for myself I want a bonded bullet. That's the only reason I'm using Accubond LR's.

In my 7mm Rem Mag I am using 175gr ABLR's
I will admit that for MYSELF, the only reason that I DID NOT choose Berger as a hunting bullet is because they aren't bonded. I am not posting this to start a debate on bonded vs non-bonded bullets, only on the reason why Berger hasn't done so.

I know that many or even most of you here a big proponents for Berger but like I said that for myself I want a bonded bullet. That's the only reason I'm using Accubond LR's.

I

I agree, I like a bullet that stays together. I want a accurate hunting bullet. My experience with a bullet that comes apart, is that you get to much bloodshot meat. When you have all that energy dispersed before the bullet gets to the opposite side, especially when the animal has thick skin, you don't get a lot of penetration. The bullet pieces slow down fast if they are not together.

Berger bullets has a video on their website explaining why their hunting bullets are designed the way they are. I may be wrong but I don't think they really believe in bonded bullets.

I shot a bull elk in Colorado this year with my long range Rifles (from Len0 Mountain Rifle in 6.5 GAP shooting a 156 Berger EOL at 2850 fps. The elk was running at 150 yards and turned down hill towards me. I hit him above the right shoulder in the neck, the elk dropped like it was struck with lightning. The bullet took out the top of one lung and rode the spine down to where it meets the pelvic. The Berger traveled about 3 feet inside the elk. Shrapnel hit part of the liver. This was my second DRT kill on elk this year. I've killed 4 animals with the Bergers in the last 3 years, 2 animals with the 168 grain HVLD 7mm RM, 1 elk and 1 mule deer and 2 animals with the 156 grain EOL 6.5 GAP 2 elk, I'm a believer!

Because berger fans like them for what they are. Why change technology when what they put out works for a lot of us? I think they were always catering to the competition/target community. The fact that their bullets work on game was an unintended consequence that they decided to capitalize on.
I agree . Berger is a target bullet builder. I think they are happy in their lane . I met the owners 20 yrs ago at the shot show. I dont think their way of thinking has changed much since that time . Well, maybe they dont push their bullet making dies like they use to . I swear they were more interested in teaching me how to make my own bullets with their cups, lead , and dies than setting my work place up as a dealer for bullets ! I liked their focus . The fact that the bullets are little meat grenades was just coincidence .

Since Bergers have only been in use for a relatively short period of time, the question does not make sense. However, I have been accompanying a close friend who used Bergers, and who has recently decided to abandon their use, because of a couple of incidents where a stouter bullet would have been superior. One of these incidents involved a long exhausting tracking job (I was along) to recover a moose that had a large surface wound on the shoulder, without any part of the bullet reaching the vitals. Recovering this animal was a nightmare, and a bit of an eye-opener. Dave.

So I take that as a no! I have recovered several elk shot in the shoulder with 180 and 200 Accubonds and the bullet only broke the shoulder with zero penetration at close range, I've had Barnes turn on elk shoulders and just flat stop too, I have not had a heavy for cal Berger stopped BUT I would expect some day I could make one do it if I took that shot enough. I took me 5 days to get one of those accubond elk dead, the meat was not salvageable at that point it was one of the issues that made me look for a better bullet for me and my shooting!

I'll see if I have a pic of one! My experience with the ALRB is a blown of front shoulder and having to weight down an animal to get it dead, Accubombs is what they are from what I've seen!!

Its pretty nuts to want to shoot a long range bullet if you expect your shots to be close, there is a better choice.

Numerous members here repeatedly take close range shots. It happens. If the opportunity of a lifetime presents itself, you've got to do what you've got to do.

You are correct though, if you only shoot up to 100 yards, then yea, it's silly to shoot Lr specific bullets.

Numerous members here repeatedly take close range shots. It happens. If the opportunity of a lifetime presents itself, you've got to do what you've got to do.

You are correct though, if you only shoot up to 100 yards, then yea, it's silly to shoot Lr specific bullets.[/QUOTE

I have taken close shots with the 140EOL and just accept that its like a flame thrower though butter but when i can get the impact velocity down it behaves a whole lot nicer. sure kill well either way, just changes my yield.

So I take that as a no! I have recovered several elk shot in the shoulder with 180 and 200 Accubonds and the bullet only broke the shoulder with zero penetration at close range, I've had Barnes turn on elk shoulders and just flat stop too, I have not had a heavy for cal Berger stopped BUT I would expect some day I could make one do it if I took that shot enough. I took me 5 days to get one of those accubond elk dead, the meat was not salvageable at that point it was one of the issues that made me look for a better bullet for me and my shooting!

So your saying a berger will out penetrate a barnes mono bullet. Barnes might have issues with their bullets( not a fan) but lack of penetration is usually not an issue.

bigngreen....you obviously think Bergers are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and you are entitled to reason that way
But those of us who have put in the thousands of hours in the woods know that Bergers aren't the be-all, end-all that some small percentage of shooters/hunters think they are. Personally, I would sooner give up a bit of BC and have a Partition up the spout on any shot up to 500 yards or so. I know what to expect with them. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.