Why Doesn't Berger make a Bonded Bullet??

Berger makes a good product, it works as they say, producing a bonded or mono would contradict their mission.
There are so many good choices out there, anyways and easy to fill your needs.
It makes it all really interesting

I will admit that for MYSELF, the only reason that I DID NOT choose Berger as a hunting bullet is because they aren't bonded. I am not posting this to start a debate on bonded vs non-bonded bullets, only on the reason why Berger hasn't done so.

I know that many or even most of you here a big proponents for Berger but like I said that for myself I want a bonded bullet. That's the only reason I'm using Accubond LR's.

In my 7mm Rem Mag I am using 175gr ABLR's

I've shot a lot of elk with Berger bullets and had several explode leaving no blood trail and very difficult searches. Usually end up dead, but in thick timber and brushy country it can make it very difficult to find an animal even if they die within a short distance. Hunt in open country and not as big of a deal.

Had another Berger tumble and ride sideways like a banana on a large bear, who jumped into a thicket preventing a follow up shot. That bear moaned for a good 20 minutes before it expired.

Had another Berger that penciled straight through, verified by a small amount of blood on the exit. Perfect double lung shot. That elk got away.

Very high percentage failure rate.

I don't hunt with them anymore. I have not found a more accurate bullet but I have found others to be more lethal.

we all have our own experiences!

I will admit that for MYSELF, the only reason that I DID NOT choose Berger as a hunting bullet is because they aren't bonded. I am not posting this to start a debate on bonded vs non-bonded bullets, only on the reason why Berger hasn't done so.

I know that many or even most of you here a big proponents for Berger but like I said that for myself I want a bonded bullet. That's the only reason I'm using Accubond LR's.

In my 7mm Rem Mag I am using 175gr ABLR's
I've been using Sierra Match King HPBT for years and have Excellent Long range accuracy and killing power, no they don't explode or fall apart they just hit the target weather paper or skin exactly where they are supposed to, Enter, Expand and exit. I don't have to go looking for pieces of the bullet when I'm cutting up the meat.

The bonding process can be a pain. Plus it would just add to the cost of the bullet. If you like the Berger for it's long range performance then it's range would likely be shortened due to it holding together better at any given velocity. So expansion would be decreased. Just my opinion since I've worked with bonders.

It's the long range shooting crowd that is messing the system up. I'm included in this category...

Bullets are designed for a specific function. When you want a bullet that holds together for lack of meat damage yet super high BC and costs pennies... You can't get it.

You can get only 2 of those at one time.

Companies would spend the money into research if they would be able to recover it in product sales. Until law legislated we need to have an ultra expensive bullet all the time everywhere, it won't be main stream. Look at cutting edge/Warner/wind cut....do you think competition guys firing 1000s of rounds will be able to afford them all the time

I run bullets from Hornaday, Sierra, cutting edge and Berger. They are get used in the general purpose that the were designed for. Some of my pure hunting rifles that get shot a couple times a year a box of bullets last a long. Compared to other stuff that I run boxes through in a weekend. To tool over a assembly line to cater to the odd firing doesn't make sense. Sure there is millions that only shoot a couple times but there already is enough ammo to supply them.

When the state of Texas goes through more ammo than the country of Canada(where I am). Where do you think companies focus their marketing on.

I think we are looking for the perfect "magic bullet" that expands at 50yards just the same as it does at 1050yards. For 55cents, you aren't going to do it.

The bonding process reduces accuracy, they have addresses this year's ago along with the same reason for not making a tipped bullet.
For me a bonded Berger would ruin what makes them the most lethal and consistent long range bullet many of us have used, there are choices out there, when every manufacture tries making the same stuff usually the product suffers across the board, they make thee most accurate production bullet that is crazy lethal because they stick to those higher standards.
Accurate / yes , Lethal / debatable

I have 2 deer (.308), 2 elk and a moose (300WM) that succumbed to the Berger hybrid hunter experience. No problem. Meat intact but never found a bullet fragment.

As someone who actually shoots animal with Berger bullets I have yet to see this "exploding" bullet!
This year I had a Berger 6.5 140 gr from my SAUM blow up on a trophy mule deer's shoulder at 500 yards (this bullet's sweet-spot), with my brother watching the shot thru the spotter. Up until this year, I've never had an issue taking game with them, but Ive ALWAYS tucked it in right behind the shoulder, never into the shoulder. Made me sick. Lesson learned.
I've had this conversation with @Elk Hunter 338 in the past. I'll spare you the details, but him and his crew are no joke when it comes to shooting big trophy game. And they either had personally, or witnessed enough Berger VLD failures on game to where he dosen't use their hunting bullets anymore.
I've been a BIG Berger fan-boy for years, still am, but I may be developing a different load for next season.

I think we are looking for the perfect "magic bullet" that expands at 50yards just the same as it does at 1050yards. For 55cents, you aren't going to do it.

Excellent post, and you do make allot of sense but it still doesn't explain why Berger doesn't make a bonded bullet for hunters. You made a comment about "taking over an assembly line for the odd firing" which I assume you mean to be the making of bonded hunting bullets? Making bullets for hunters is not an "odd firing" since 38 Million people bought hunting licenses last year in the USA alone. Despite the competition, I think that there certainly IS a market for a Berger bonded bullet especially for people like me who would want it for the established Berger reputation WITH a bonded core....I would be all over it.

Regarding your last paragraph (above) I chose the next best thing:

A high BC, accurate, affordable, bonded bullet called the Accubond LR.

Accurate / yes , Lethal / debatable

I can go of what I've personally seen, that's every Berger bullet I've shot or seen shot into a game animal with exception of one yielded a very quick one shot kill. The only bullets I've seen perform at this level has been Berger, Matrix and Hammers.
I've seen one 210 that did not open on a doe hit back with a very soft hit, still killed her but the bullet did not open, that's the one single issue.
I have fired two Berger bullets at an animal that did not kill because of a clean miss years ago when I first started and the miss was confirmed by spotters and the going and finding the bullet impact and animal track and following the game and confirming, other than those two every other Berger I've fired has killed one animal and fill one tag with a single shot, this so out performs the Barnes and Accubonds I used for years it's not even a question!!
But I don't just pick a random Berger and shoot it, I don't pick any random bullet and go after game with it till we shoot some media to get some understanding of what it's doing so I can put the bullet in the best position to be the most accurate and lethal!!

Ok, the reason you don't see "bonded" Bullets from some manufacturers is the process involves melting a nearly pure lead core to solder it to the jacket. This process inevitably leads to voids in the core, harming the small group size the manufacturers strive to achieve. Increased costs also follow, to add insult to injury. The process is tough to control, and some bullet makers make a conscious decision to avoid the cost/production problems.

A plain cup and core bullet of any manufacture puts some onus on the shooter some, especially now days will absolutely not accept that they have to be involved and thus responsible in the process, which is fine but admit it and rock on!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.