Why 7STW over 300WM?

I don't **** in your coffee about it if you want to take a critter down at 1,200 yards if it aint moving so please don't **** in mine if I dump a runner at 500 or 600 yards.

Fair enough, to each his own. But for what it's worth I never entered morals into the equation. I was simple referring to shot success rate.

Good day,

jeff

Fair enough, to each his own. But for what it's worth I never entered morals into the equation. I was simple referring to shot success rate.

Good day,

jeff
Just like any other long range shooting, you don't take the shot without being pretty **** sure of success. You build in safety factor too, like making sure you can shoot again if it isn't a clean miss.

Have a good one Broz,
Lefty

If you run the long range ballistics between a 300WM and 7STW the STW passes and walks away from the WM at about 800 yards. I think you might want to restate your quote on BCs on 30 Cal over 7mm(284), when comparing apples to apples (bullet weight to bullet weight) the 7mm is quite ahead of the 30 cal, it's not until you get over the 200gr mark on the 30 cal that the BC's really get impressive, and in a 300WM, those heavy bullets aren't moving that fast (in comparison to the 7mm STW) which directly translates to bullet drop and wind drift.

Seeing how hunting is a main concern, the time of flight is another big benefit the STW has over the 300WM, now this doesn't make a big difference until you're past the 700yd range or so. Example, 168gr 300WM SMK leaving the tube at 3150 has a flight time in the 2.2sec range at 1000 yds, a 168 7mm leaving an STW at 3350 (what mine does) hits at 1.4 sec, that almost a full sec ahead of the WM, and we all know how much an animal can do in a 1 sec.

The STW has limitations, it's meant as a speed freak, which means you need to choose your engagement correctly, for the most part, IMO, anything closer than 300-400yds is too close for most bullets moving at those speeds to preform ideally, it needs some space to slow it down some. Some will argue that WM causes more impact energy, and in some cases it does, but the basic physics of mass x velocity = energy will tell you that a bigger bullet moving slower is the same a smaller bullet moving faster.

The 7mm also fights the wind better in the STW for two reasons, 1) smaller cross section. The smaller cross section means there's less surface area for the wind to push against the bullet. 2) Speed, the bullet is exposed to the wind a less amount of time over a given distance moving as fast as the STW is capable of moving it.

The major downfall of the STW is the lack of factory loading, there's plenty out there, but the likelihood of finding it at WalMart in multiple loadings probably isn't going to happen. MOST, not all, STW shooters are reloaders and factory loadings aren't a huge concern to us who reload. But keep up your research on what you want, ultimately it's your weapon system, not mine. There's plenty of information out there and play around with the different ballistic programs and do some comparisons from different loads and shot scenarios you foresee yourself getting into and see which ones meet your requirements and make your choice from there.
X-2

The next year I knocked off a full run antelope at 1/4 mile flat with a 30 mph + cross wind. That one took two shots to guage the lead. I had to have the **** critter's nose at the edge of the scope to hit mid body at 16x. I had two sprained shoulders from messing around with my son (jumping around on haybales with a toddler in your arms just before hunting season isn't advisable) so I wasn't going out hunting another day. It hurt to **** much to shoulder and raise the rifle.
That rifle was terribly fussy and only ate flat base bullets; I was pushing the 140 sierra pro hunter at 3500 fps with a heavy charge of rl25.

This is a pretty interesting shot!

To make the shot you needed around 70 feet of windage.

Your scope only has a total view of approximately 50 feet at 700 yards.
The problem is you only have 25 feet from the crosshair to the scope edge.
Sooo....In other words the deer was 50 feet OUTSIDE your field of view when you touched it off?

I have no idea what to say to that?
Yet here I am....

The 7STW is a special cartridge?
Magical even?

FFS?

This is a pretty interesting shot!

To make the shot you needed around 70 feet of windage.

Your scope only has a total view of approximately 50 feet at 700 yards.
The problem is you only have 25 feet from the crosshair to the scope edge.
Sooo....In other words the deer was 50 feet OUTSIDE your field of view when you touched it off?

I have no idea what to say to that?
Yet here I am....

The 7STW is a special cartridge?
Magical even?

FFS?
To start with you are forgetting that accelerating lead when pulling ahead of a critter negates a lot of the lead.

Secondly, I have witnesses, and one is a member of this site.
Thirdly, I wasn't using the 7stw; I was driving a 140 grain pill at 3500 fps out of a 7mm rum.
I also didn't tell you the angle the critter was running compared with me, so you have absolutely no basis to gauge the number of feet lead.
Did I tell you what Mag. I had the scope on for that shot, or you just magically there in spirit to see it???
I really don't appreciate your caustic tone and have a real problem with people judging me on shooting running game.

Gents -

Thanks to all of you for your posts. This is great data. I must say, it still looks like the 300wm is the gun to beat. Not to mention the Brass and Bullet selection is significantly better.
The 300 win is a good choice. I've got one that shoots well, and I'll probably always own one. I like the oddball stuff though, and there's nothing oddball about the 300 win.

To start with you are forgetting that accelerating lead when pulling ahead of a critter negates a lot of the lead.

Secondly, I have witnesses, and one is a member of this site.
Thirdly, I wasn't using the 7stw; I was driving a 140 grain pill at 3500 fps out of a 7mm rum.
I also didn't tell you the angle the critter was running compared with me, so you have absolutely no basis to gauge the number of feet lead.
Did I tell you what Mag. I had the scope on for that shot, or you just magically there in spirit to see it???
I really don't appreciate your caustic tone and have a real problem with people judging me on shooting running game.

The next year I knocked off a full run antelope at 1/4 mile flat with a 30 mph + cross wind. That one took two shots to guage the lead. I had to have the **** critter's nose at the edge of the scope to hit mid body at 16x. I had two sprained shoulders from messing around with my son (jumping around on haybales with a toddler in your arms just before hunting season isn't advisable) so I wasn't going out hunting another day. It hurt to **** much to shoulder and raise the rifle.
That rifle was terribly fussy and only ate flat base bullets; I was pushing the 140 sierra pro hunter at 3500 fps with a heavy charge of rl25.

I "forgot" nothing.

I ran the calculations at 3500fps with that precise bullet.

From your post above, "I had to have the **** critter's nose at the edge of the scope to hit mid body at 16x." Seems to me you were using 16 power to me....

I ran the running lead at 45degrees at 50% speed...it only gets worse from there.
Then there is the 30mph wind problem......

How did you have the animal's nose on the edge of the scope when you have to aim 6 feet over its back?

I have a 5 private messages from other guys telling me about you, your epic "shooting", and that I should stay clear from you.

The truth is that you have no witness and this shot never happened.
It never happened because it isn't possible.
I have been doing this for decades and this is the most ridiculous story I have heard in all that time.

sfr292

Please remove the commercial references from your signature. And let me know when it is done.

35- 40 inches lead is more than enough when you include the fact that I didn't want to hit said antelope in the nose but at mid body. The el. adjust for 400 yards is also only a few inches when you are sighted for zero at around 300 yards. X-man simply doesn't believe in shooting at moving game and is doing everything possible to dis-credit me here.

This discussion has gotten old.
There are a few here who will not be satisfied and will build a straw man arguement against me no matter what I say to them. I don't have time or energy to fabricate lies and write them all down to regurge later when appropriate. If I've somehow offended some poor sap's delicate sensibilities I am not sorry; It is in fact your problem and not mine.

As the o.p. has already stated he is going with the 300 win I'll simply discontinue my subscription to this thread and be on my way. Trying to have a conversation with a few members here is about like trying to talk a turnip into being a cabbage; it aint gonna happen so why bother.

Last edited:
I was along side with many of these kills.
It's called being brought up straight out of diapers and having a rifle thrown into your hands.
We were BOTH shooting and loading high powered weapons unsupervised before we were even out of GRADE SCHOOL.
The badlands is a VERY fickle hunting ground... it's called "badlands" for a reason... it IS basically hell on Earth. IF a shot is presented on game, YOU TAKE IT. Waiting for a game animal in this neck of the woods to stop is like asking Rosie o Donnel to become a Republican.It simply aint gonna happen bra.
So, you LEARN your rifle.... during off season, go out with out hunting buddies, or family. Call shot at random ranges. MAKE EACH SHOT COUNT.
Yes, not every shot is made possible with practice... We will not make flat out ignorant shots.... but will definitely take the shots well within our abilities.
Lefty has seen what a "mediocre" 280 Remington can do past 500 yards.... let alone a 270 WSM. So, please.... instead of being an internet cowboy (boy that keyboard does feel MIGHTY sexy) learn how to fire your weapon.
Sra Kostelecky, USAF, Retired.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.