7STW vs. 300WM for elk hunting rifle??

Mine are at 3.630 that's what you meant correct?

Jeff
For the 300win I have a browning lh ss with a standard length mag, so I can't load over 3.36" oal. and stay to mag. length. The rifle is also rather short throated so it doesn't help to use a LA or modded mag. with it. I was wondering if you could go there (3.36") or is it like some bullets that you need to load long for the 300win (speer comes to mind- hence their mag- tip).
The 300 roy has a 3.7" mag so we are loading to that to keep her mag. fed.

For the 300win I have a browning lh ss with a standard length mag, so I can't load over 3.36" oal. and stay to mag. length. The rifle is also rather short throated so it doesn't help to use a LA or modded mag. with it. I was wondering if you could go there (3.36") or is it like some bullets that you need to load long for the 300win (speer comes to mind- hence their mag- tip).
The 300 roy has a 3.7" mag so we are loading to that to keep her mag. fed.

I believe that the hybrid ogive design of the 215 makes them somewhat less sensitive to seating depth compared to the VLD design ogive. I think it would be worth a try.

Never tried stuffing one in the case that far Lefty. But they have been easy to get along with at different seating depths. I just took one from my custom 300 win seated at an oal of 3.630ish stuffed it in the mag box of a stock Rem 700 Long Range and it cycled just fine with a little room to spare. I think this calls for you to buy a Rem 700 LR in 300 win.:D

Jeff

Never tried stuffing one in the case that far Lefty. But they have been easy to get along with at different seating depths. I just took one from my custom 300 win seated at an oal of 3.630ish stuffed it in the mag box of a stock Rem 700 Long Range and it cycled just fine with a little room to spare. I think this calls for you to buy a Rem 700 LR in 300 win.:D

Jeff
the little wiggly handle on the side is on the wrong side for me on the 700lr.:D How's the savage 110 BA (lh) in this regard?
I had a 700lss lh years ago in 300win but sold it for $$ towards my house and haven't been able to find another good one.
I guess the adage is probably correct that if you find a good rifle buy a spare. I haven't been able to convince my significant other on that one yet though!!!:rolleyes:

the little wiggly handle on the side is on the wrong side for me on the 700lr.:D How's the savage 110 BA (lh) in this regard?
I had a 700lss lh years ago in 300win but sold it for $$ towards my house and haven't been able to find another good one.
I guess the adage is probably correct that if you find a good rifle buy a spare. I haven't been able to convince my significant other on that one yet though!!!:rolleyes:

This is true!! Maybe not for my extreme long range gun as I will be putting too much $$ into it to make a twin. But anyone who has hunted in Elk camp for a good amount of time has seen guns, scopes, stocks etc., break or become inoperable.

Having a back up gun with you in any camp is a wise idea.

This is true!! Maybe not for my extreme long range gun as I will be putting too much $$ into it to make a twin. But anyone who has hunted in Elk camp for a good amount of time has seen guns, scopes, stocks etc., break or become inoperable.

Having a back up gun with you in any camp is a wise idea.
Even out mule deer hunting we'll toss an extra rifle in the truck. After last year when my Irish %$#@^% boots crapped out on me on the first hike of the year I'll likely have more boots with too.

Even out mule deer hunting we'll toss an extra rifle in the truck. After last year when my Irish %$#@^% boots crapped out on me on the first hike of the year I'll likely have more boots with too.

When we go set up spike camps (mule deer too) we all bring extra boots too. I've learned the hard way...

My dad still shoots his .300 rum. He is 64 and makes it up and down the mountains just fine. Eventually I'll probably inherit it, maybe make a true long range rifle with a custom barrel and trued action. He already put a great brake on it, Timney trigger and HS precision stock. Add a custom barrel down the line and it will be a great shooter. It's amazing what a custom barrel can do for an average gun with average accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.