7stw vs elk

slm9s

came across him at the end of a spur. 260 yards away. Semi-custom Rem 700 7STW with 154 interbond ~ 3250 fps, Z6i 2-12. Bullet hit him at the base of the skull, dead right there. Not a great rack, but should be great eating.
xqgflv.png

Well you can't beat DRT!

Of course at that range you didn't "need" the STW, but it's nice to have "too much gun" when you don't need it than "not enough gun" when you do.

Congrats.

as far as I know it is not a Roosevelt. Taken on West Fork Ranch, Philipsburg Montana. Weatherby Mark V synthetic using 150 grain Barnes TSX 78.4 grains of RL25.

How do you tell the difference? There was a couple of bulls taken on the same ranch that had some funny looking antlers.

Location mostly, the first picture looked a bit wet. Roosevelts tend to "crown" a bit more often when they're allowed to age a bit, the tops can be a little more Red Deer looking. Shorter main beams usually. Horns and bodies always look a bit darker to me.

A lot of genetic diversity though. Local zoo closed years ago and they were turned loose north of town so they've combined with the rockies. Claims are some of the high fence folks have lost some of their stock over the years as well.

If you're hunting in hip boots, or waders it's likely a Roosevelt. I always claim Roosevelts have webbed feet, and gills, but that's probably overstating it a bit.

Bodies are usually bigger, could be habitat and no winter. Some of the old cows will get pretty dang big. Some of the islands they transplanted on have recorded some big bodied bulls.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.