Why 7STW over 7RUM?

cohunter14--Yeah, I get that. Granted, over 1000 round barrel life, it works out to $45 more. Insignificant, I know but still--its more than a pound over the life of the barrel. 15% more powder will produce more recoil. Exactly how much, I don't know. It will also burn out the throat faster, again how much I don't know. I also have two buddies with Sendero SF STW's that handload, so I knew going into a cartridge I really didn't know about, that I would at least have experience to go off of developing a load. So for me, the math and the intangibles made the decision for me to go STW. I bought a semi-custom RUM sight unseen off of the internet. When it showed up, I was less than impressed. Right after that, I found my Sendero STW on Gunbroker. The guy didn't have it listed as a sendero, so I think thats why I got it relatively cheap. (that, and it had a disgusting paintjob on it--Bright orange with gold metalflake!!!) So I sold the RUM at a $50 loss, and jumped on the STW. Have never looked back.

Dude, do you have any before and after pictures? B/c I bet that thing was hiddeous before!

cohunter14--Yeah, I get that. Granted, over 1000 round barrel life, it works out to $45 more. Insignificant, I know but still--its more than a pound over the life of the barrel. 15% more powder will produce more recoil. Exactly how much, I don't know. It will also burn out the throat faster, again how much I don't know. I also have two buddies with Sendero SF STW's that handload, so I knew going into a cartridge I really didn't know about, that I would at least have experience to go off of developing a load. So for me, the math and the intangibles made the decision for me to go STW. I bought a semi-custom RUM sight unseen off of the internet. When it showed up, I was less than impressed. Right after that, I found my Sendero STW on Gunbroker. The guy didn't have it listed as a sendero, so I think thats why I got it relatively cheap. (that, and it had a disgusting paintjob on it--Bright orange with gold metalflake!!!) So I sold the RUM at a $50 loss, and jumped on the STW. Have never looked back.

Hey Black, I remember when you got that " orange" machine! didn't it have metallic finish also? Anyway, it don't matter, that rifle of yours is a drill! It's a real shame that when Big Green brought out the RUM, they dropped the STW. To me, it just never caught on, and to those whom did pick up one, with expectations of the STW without a belt got dis appointed. I know that I was, and most that I know of that jumped on that band wagon. Even though the brass for the STW is hard to find, I'll stick with it. For that matter, I believe that 7RUM brass is near impossible to find, but is easily made from 300 RUM brass, and that one is here to stay!
How did you get that orange paint off, or did you replace it? :D

Even though the brass for the STW is hard to find, I'll stick with it. For that matter, I believe that 7RUM brass is near impossible to find, but is easily made from 300 RUM brass, and that one is here to stay!

Actually 7 RUM brass is a lot easier to find than 300 RUM brass right now. Don't know exactly why, but it is...

Probably because everyone seems to have this big-bore obsession, that if it's not .30 cal or larger, then it can't kill anything......:rolleyes:

Here's some pics. They really don't do the gold metal flake any justice!!!
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...times-westerner-88228/index77.html#post648722
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...times-westerner-88228/index73.html#post648422
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...times-westerner-88228/index76.html#post648686
This post talks about the new paintjob...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...imes-westerner-88228/index105.html#post658189
Now if you guys would just read through the 3500+ posts in the brotherhood thread I wouldn't have to do this!! :D:D:D:D:D

Dude, I can't even count that high, and I **** sure find it hard to believe that WE have this much of a following. Pretty **** awesome. Speaking of awesome, when I saw the picks, it all came back to me, like it was yesterday, and I DO remember the before and after. That paint job is freaking awesome, and you did a great job! That elk didn't like it worth a **** though!!!:D:D all that stuff was just about a year ago huh?
Take care, awesome rifle!!!! Love it!

The biggest reason I bought another 7stw after I tired the current one and I didn't replace the 7rum I had(even though it was a long range hammer) is barrel life. Both were very shootable, with 3 shot groups in the .3" 100 mark and in the .9" range for 5 shot rapid fire, but the 7 rum crapped out( group size doubled) at 600 rounds and the 7stw was still going strong well over the 1000 round mark; I was at about 1,400 rounds and when I changed the scope to trade her she settled in at .4" at 100 after she was sighted.

The Stw is the reason the Rum even exists. When the stw came out, it caused the rifle companies to wake up and notice that there was room for a faster 7mm. After researching its ballistics and reading the results of accuracy at long distances, I had to have one.
The developer of the stw stayed with a belted case for good reason. It provides longer case life, more consistent loads and better availability of cases.
To go from an Stw to a Rum only gains 100 fps or less. The Rum is very finicky with a huge appetite to boot. I enjoy the velocities and trajectories of the Stw and here's the thing...it is so predictable!

hey dont forget there are a couple other good 284s.
one has been around longer than the stw and produces about same results.
simply neck down the 300 weatherby for a 7x300 wby. ive had one for over 40 years.
the other is bruce baers version using the 340 wby case.

The 7 mm RUM is really the better choice of the Hyper Velocity 7mm caliber. The REAL problem is it came out to soon. When Berger, or if Berger releases its 195gr 7mm projectile and when RL33 comes more readily avail along with Vita Vouri H570 I assure you the ballistic differences will be readily apparent. The RUM should be chambered in a Very hard barrel like a Lothar Walter and be stressed relieved with a minimum length of 28 inches up to 34 inches. If a rifle was built but a knowledgeable smith it would out perform all other 7mm cartridges. My fear once this technology comes apparent to the rest of the world the rifles chambered for the Rum will have the wrong twist rate and wrong throating to work in harmony with what I described above. I have built 2 of these rifles and can say not much will run with them. Only the BIG 338s will best them. Check out the projected claim of the 195gr Berger 7mm and run some number of this at 3200 fps. And that load is lazer flat and hard hitting at 1000+ yds. Compare this to the 30-378 or any other and tell me what you think!

Last edited:
I think I might venture into the realm of the 7RUM......I'll never part with the STW, but my local store has a very slightly used 7RUM 700 BDL that I can get for under $500. And if I don't like it I can simply rebarrel it to another STW.

The 7 mm RUM is really the better choice of the Hyper Velocity 7mm caliber. The REAL problem is it came out to soon. When Berger, or if Berger releases its 195gr 7mm projectile and when RL33 comes more readily avail along with Vita Vouri H570 I assure you the ballistic differences will be readily apparent. The RUM should be chambered in a Very hard barrel like a Lothar Walter and be stressed relieved with a minimum length of 28 inches up to 34 inches. If a rifle was built but a knowledgeable smith it would out perform all other 7mm cartridges. My fear once this technology comes apparent to the rest of the world the rifles chambered for the Rum will have the wrong twist rate and wrong throating to work in harmony with what I described above. I have built 2 of these rifles and can say not much will run with them. Only the BIG 338s will best them. Check out the projected claim of the 195gr Berger 7mm and run some number of this at 3200 fps. And that load is lazer flat and hard hitting at 1000+ yds. Compare this to the 30-378 or any other and tell me what you think!

The 195 berger may make a difference; rl33 will not. The 7 stw is already capable of using 50 bmg type powders like rl50 and I 5010. The extra powder capacity is a moot point. 86 grains rl50 in my 7stw will break 3100 fps with a 171 in a 24" barrel. Kick the bbl length up to 28" and I'd be closer to 3250-3300 fps with a 171.
As far as the "hard barrel" if I were to chamber a 7stw in the same barrel make as your 7rum I'd still see twice the barrel life at around 100 fps velocity drop (if that). Apples and apples please.
I do like the 7rum and may own another eventually but it is really an over design with little benefit over the stw other than it gets rid of the belt. The drop in bore life with the 7rum is a non issue for some, but I don't like the idea of playing with a new barrel every couple of years.

...if I were to chamber a 7stw in the same barrel make as your 7rum I'd still see twice the barrel life at around 100 fps velocity drop (if that).

Really? I didn't think the barrel life was that different between the two. I have heard approximately 1,000 rounds in a 7RUM, so you think you can get 2,000 in the STW?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts